Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Joust-A-Bout

This was a great ride. I remember when this was new.The lines were crazy long. But it was the only ride in the area. I liked it better with the orange paint though.

Here are several photos of a Joust ride in Europe known as Dschunke. It is similar in theming to the ride pictured in Great Adventure's 1982 pamphlet.

42-a.jpg

42-d.jpg

42-c.jpg

42-b.jpg

The Great Adventure pamphlet photo:

1982%20SP%20Pamphlet.jpg

Check out our Extras - Joust A Bout album for several interesting blueprints taken directly from Schwarzkopf's original documents used by Great Adventure!

Many thanks to our good friends in the park's PR Dept for giving these blueprints to GreatAdventureHistory.com and allowing us to share these with our members! :)

gallery_2_43_48094.jpg

NICE!, Glad to see the park give up some good stuff

They have been incredible! We have learned so much because of them and they have been fantastic in allowing us to research the park's past. We can't thank them enough! They are THE BEST!!! :clap:

Kudos to the Great Adventure Team for granting access to their archives. The "Joust-A-Bout" was one of my favorite "flats" in that park as a kid. It provided nice amounts of "floater air" when they ran it in the forward/reverse cycles. Kind of a shame Six Flags didn't contract additional models from Intamin (the Inheritor of the Schwarzkopf Catalog). I loved watching the twinkling yellow bulbs at night.

"Da Vinci's Cradle" at Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a similar ride, although it was a single "boat". It's been more years than I'd like to admit since I've last been there. At the time, "Da Vinci's Cradle" was an airtime machine.

I always liked Joust better than DaVinci's. Joust had smooth sweeping motions where as DaVinci has sharp jerking direction changes.

Also, I use to love the optical illusion the four smaller arms (without the boats attached) gave to the ride especially at night.

Also, I use to love the optical illusion the four smaller arms (without the boats attached) gave to the ride especially at night.
I always loved the light-up panels on the sides of benches and the little tassels around the roof.

I also loved those aspects of "Joust-A-Bout". The dueling boats were fun. I forgot about the tassels and the alternating red/white bulbs above them. Someone really needs to have Intamin bring back these classics!

i wonder if it could ever be reinstalled in the park, its in the boneyard and would be a great fit in old country if they were to reopen the section

I would imagine it would be cheaper to buy a new one, than refurbish that model. "Joust-A-Bout" has been sitting dormant and exposed in the boneyard for years. The cost to repair the motors, electrical, and control systems would cost a small fortunate at this point. Granted, I'm speculating. The park maintenance staff and Intamin would assess it and make a decision. Current management shares no passion for "flat" rides. Like B&M Rollercoasters, Mr. Shapiro doesn't feel they add value to the park from a marketing standpoint. I refer to this as the no "Tilt-A-Whirl" edict, based on comments Mark made regarding "flat" ride removals from Magic Mountain. As far as I know, SIX has yet to purchase a new "flat" ride, or operate the currently owned rides on a regular basis.

I still think Intamin AG is missing a huge opportunity by not reintroducing these models.

I've often wondered why the Joust is still in the boneyard. So many flat rides have been added and removed from there, some only after a couple of years, however the Joust seems to stick around. It has been there for 11 years- I am surprised it hasn't been scrapped by now.

I know this probably isnt the right place for this, sorry in advance!

So i just bought a new hair gel, got2b glued, and at the bottom of the bottle it said schwarzkopf. Is this schwarzkopf affiliated with the flat ride schwarzkopf?

http://www.got2b.schwarzkopf.com/

I know this probably isnt the right place for this, sorry in advance!

So i just bought a new hair gel, got2b glued, and at the bottom of the bottle it said schwarzkopf. Is this schwarzkopf affiliated with the flat ride schwarzkopf?

http://www.got2b.schwarzkopf.com/

I saw the ads in the park and I was trying to imagine him, after getting tired of coasters and flat rides, deciding just to make the hair gel people wear to keep their hair in place on his rides.

would be sweet if they themed this as a serpent ride and put it over in the lakefront behind the bbnp area, having it swing out towards the water would be cool and all the lights reflecting of the lake would look awesome

QUOTE(scipiomask @ Feb 20 2011, 05:06 PM) I saw the ads in the park and I was trying to imagine him, after getting tired of coasters and flat rides, deciding just to make the hair gel people wear to keep their hair in place on his rides.

thats be pretty sweet! laugh.gif

If you ever wondered what the end of the games area (Boardwalk) looked like before the Parachutes ride (only Joust), here is a picture of the wall at the dead end.

gallery_2_579_126845.jpg