GAcoaster

Freefall

Look at those socks ;) I went on the one at Dorney -- it was fun, although it bangs around a lot because of its age.

It banged around a lot when it was new.

I found a commercail from 1983 featuring the Freefall when it first opened in Six Flags Astroworld...It also shows some other attractions from the park at the time.

It is the second out of the three, here's the link:

Edited by Will

I loved this ride! Stuntman's Freefall was always riden second after I rode the Chiller a couple of times. :D I love the feeling of weightlessness!

I always counted this as a roller coaster. I think the park did at one point too. On this site it is listed as a ride not a coaster. RCDB does not have it listed either. Should it be included in my coaster count? It has a track, lift, wheels, cars, breaks, ect.

No, it is not a coaster. But like you mentioned the park counted it as a coaster back in the days when they only had a half dozen or so.

(It is hard to believe they were still using photos of Kings Island's Racer to promote Rolling Thunder as late as 1990!)

gallery_2_35_668503.jpg

I have been scanning a bunch of GA slides and ran across this interesting early rendering for FreeFall. Notice the numerous cars on the vertical lift and the continuous transfer from the upper to lower track instead of a brake run.

gallery_2_435_1535835.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, if they had built it like that it would have had AMAZING throughput! Interesting they pretty much used the same font for the ride when they actually built it.

That concept art is AWESOME!!! It's like a ski lift mixed with a drop tower, and a little bit of 4th Dimension.

FreeFall was an amazing ride. It seemed so ahead of its time and was really an interesting display of engineering.

I feel like nowadays the could really take ^^that^^ concept and build a unique ride.

It looks like in that rendering the transition at the end of the ride to return to sitting upright would have been less painful than how the ride turned out.

I believe all the first gen INTAMIN Freefalls were identical.

I am probably wrong about this but I thought the Free Fall At Magic Mountain was taller at 1st and then they dropped it a few stories after the 1st season. I can't find a source of all the heights of them. I just remeber hearing the MM Free Fall was a few more stories than the one at Gadv.

Here is a picture of FreeFall being painted on March 2, 1993. The ride was only repainted once when its surrounding area was rethemed to Movie Town and the ride renamed to Stuntman's FreeFall.

gallery_2_435_796307.jpg

Wow, I never got to ride Freefall. I was scared of drops on anything back then.

I've been on Demon Drop, I assume it was pretty similar. Nothing in comparison to Zumi or any other drop towers but still an interesting experience.

Looking back now, FreeFall was fun but I only ever went on it because my friends would always want to ride it. You go up to the top, slide out to the drop position and listen for the horn or buzz sound then you knew your going down.