• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

29yrswithaGApass

Skyride - UPDATED SPOTLIGHT!

FIRST EMPLOYEE FATALITY ON THE JOB !

Reading the reports of the Cable Cars operations over all these years, I am surprised that no mention is made of the FIRST Fatality I ever saw during Park Operating hours. It happened at the Dream Street Cable Station and the young man who was killed was a Ride Mechanic.. I hope some of you Cable Ride people from the mid-70's will recall the details better than I can at this point, but here is what happened as best as I can recall from the interviews I took down from workers and guests present immediately after the accident.

Cable A side was in operation. with a long line waiting to board. A Ride Mechanic was working on the big horizontal wheel of Cable B, Prepping it to go back into service. Someone-Person unknown at the time- ordered the waiting line split to form shorter lines at both Cable A and Cable B - Before the Ride Crew Lead could protest that neither the Crew nor the Ride Mechanic were ready to start Cable B-- the Unknown Person threw the switch that started the big wheel spinning; pulling the CABLE B around and crushing the Ride Mechanic. To make matters worse, his remains came thru the wheel down onto the waiting line of guests and ride operators. It was a horrifing scene that I am sure many who experienced it first hand will never forget.

I arrived on the scene within 5 minutes of the first emergency call along with most of the Security Management and ALL of the Safety and EMT Personnel. It happened at about 9PM if memory serves me, and we worked all night interviewing 'victims' of the incident. NO other people were physically injured, but the emotional trama that night was like my worst experiences in RVN 15 years before.

I use the term Unknown Person not as a cover-up after 40 years, but because I never knew who it was that made that terrible error in judgement that caused the man his life. Every report I filed after reviewing them and putting together the final Draft for the Director to finish, referred to him as the unknown person.

NOW Hopefully some of you "Ride Ops" people can give us the rest of the story. 1977 OR 1978 ??

Edited by mayor al

The error was not all the supervisors fault.. the mechanic had turned the key to the off position, BUT DID NOT REMOVE THE KEY as he was supposed to. He left it in the slot, so the unknowing 'other person' turned the key and hit the switch to start the wheel, thinking all was ok.

It boiled down to worker-people cutting safety corners while reacting to managements cries for relief from crowd pressure.. with horrible results.

I didn't work the walking posts in the Strawberry section of the Park at that time, I was in the office dispatching or on Motor patrol, but I do recall the guys coming in for days after (while all the cables were shut down for investigation) with long faces and not much chatter about 'happenings. at that end of the Park. It took a couple of weeks before things seemed to return to normal.

Edited by mayor al

I am surprised Great Adventure didn't inherit these from AstroWorld,

See ebay auction HERE.

$_57.JPG

Especially interesting since these cable cars are not the original equipment Von Roll cars that would have been installed at AstroWorld in 1968, which were the same type and style of Von Roll cars that were installed at the World's Fair and, thus, Great Adventure. Is it possible that AstroWorld received some of the Great America parks' cars just as Great Adventure did?

I just hope they keep our's around for a long time to come. How many are actually left now in park's?

I just did some digging. Look's like there are about 16 Operating Von Roll type 101's left in various Park's around the World.

Edited by Railer

I'm reading through the forums and it doesn't look like a lot of people have good things to say about it! That's fine though, the SkyWay is actually one of my favorites. Last season I worked at Ka, and that was relatively easy for me. I'm not extremely physically fit, but I was one of the more motivated people on the team, especially by the end of the season. But that's not saying much considering everything that changed with the addition of Zumanjaro. Anyway, its really cool to be given this opportunity and I hope it works out.

I think you'll find that time flies working cables because there is constant action with the cars coming in and out. The same was true way back in my day when I worked two parachutes and the timing had me in constant motion. (Back then there weren't any gates, chains, or visual scans, to slow things down so it was possible to time things so that one chute was always in motion.)

Good luck! In my opinion the Skyride is one of the park's best attractions.

Thank you! Now I'm looking through the spotlight and refreshing my memory on the trivia. Back when I first read it I never thought I'd actually work the ride!

Here is more evidence that the front walkway of the Fort was used by Skyride patrons.  There appears to be a garbage can along the walkway.

EB_JUN_1975_09mod copy.jpg