• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Swiss Bob

What a shame to have such a great flat rott away before our eyes.With the amount of highly advanced CNC machine shops you would think SFGA would put this one back together. It would make a great addtion to the park if they put in a dead area like by the yum yum palace. We can ony hope it will shine one day again. This is one of my favorites from the past.

What a shame to have such a great flat rott away before our eyes.With the amount of highly advanced CNC machine shops you would think SFGA would put this one back together. It would make a great addtion to the park if they put in a dead area like by the yum yum palace. We can ony hope it will shine one day again. This is one of my favorites from the past.

That would be nice and we all know GAdv could stand more flats but the problem is CNC machining costs a lot of money. The park could also move the Bumper cars and Music Express out of the closed off area and set them up in new spots inside the park as well but they don't want to spend the money.

^ The one good thing at this point though is that they did not just take the rides out off the bat so there still is the possibility that the bumper cars and music express are not completely done with the park. I thought I remember seeing that some closed rides would simply close this year and could open again in the future. I think this is a better possibility than a dismantled ride like the swiss bob coming back again. If the park doesn't want to spend money to operate rides currently intact then a ride that is going to need a complete overhaul and reassembly isn't looking too good.

The park could also move the Bumper cars and Music Express out of the closed off area and set them up in new spots inside the park as well but they don't want to spend the money.

The Musik Express is a ride which dates back to the mid 1960s and was supposedly part of he 1964/65 New York World's Fair so moving the ride could also put it at risk. Unlike a portable bumper car ride (like Traffic Jam and Fender Bender), Time Warner spent a nice piece of change building Autobahn. The bumper car building is a significant structure made of steel beams. It could be moved but would take some doing to relocate this ride.

gallery_2_46_253309.jpg

I agree that they should relocate music express and bumpercars.I think SF is at risk of of familys not retuning to park if there arent many flats to rides.How many 7-12 year olds are going to ride some of these extreme coasters. Its not till they are a little older when they will take there first ride and begin to love them. I think SF has to relocate hodini and music express and bumper cars. We can only hope that SF will bring back the 'war on lines' campaign again and install these flats and bring in new. I know next years plans are probably set already but 2010 we can maybe see some new ones. I do know next year is going to bring something good, but the higher ups are very secritive and all meetings are behind closed doors. we will know in sept. what there going to do!

JUST ADDED: For anyone who remembers the unique sound the Swiss Bob ride made while it was operating will surely appreciate this video clip of the ride from 1990. Click the image below to view the video in our GAH Spotlight Related Media gallery.

gallery_2_28_28968.jpg

I used to love rides like that. The scenary around it would've made it look better but those rides are fun.

Too bad the park has removed all those good old rides in favor of coasters.

For those of you interested:

Coming in 2009:

The Bayern Kurve makes its return!

kurve04.JPG

The Bayern Kurve makes its return to Kennywood in 2009. We took the 'Kurve' out of service serval years ago while we put in several new attractions (Swing Shot, Cosmin Chaos, and Ghostwood Estate) but decided to bring it back this year because so many guests kept asking about it.

A thrill a minute, the Bayern Kurve simulates a bobsled ride through the Swiss Alps. Fast, fun and exciting. Let's Ride!

http://www.kennywood.com/attractions/whatsnew.php

last seen in our boneyard, but its getting sloppy back there so who knows? Several years ago the cars were refurbished for the ride to be reinstalled but it never happened. I would imagine after so many years in the boneyard its not in any type of condition to ever be reinstalled in nj.

I've always loved the "Bayern Kurve". "Boardwalk & Baseball" had one with the original light kit. Man, I wish Intamin would start building/selling rides from the Schwarzkopf catalog. Even the Schwarzkopf Giant Wheels were top quality (Great Adventure and Cedar Point are blessed to have them).

Yeah, the Schwarzkopfs were the best. All of my favorites (Monster Spin, Joust-A-Bout, Enterprise) were all Schwartzkopf, and their coasters are still some of the best after all these years.

If you had any doubts that the Swiss Bob was an afterthought for Great Adventure in 1974, check out this photo which shows how the ride's installation was last minute. The park didn't even have time to pour concrete for it to sit on but instead placed it in a field of stone.

Also note how the staff from Rootin' Tootin' Rip Roarin' must have been brought over to Strawberry Fair to operate the ride.

gallery_2_990_269480.jpg

After doing some investigative reporting, I am convinced that Great Adventure was home to two different Swiss Bob/Bayernkurve rides (similar to how we had two Enterprise rides).  The first was the Olympic themed version that operated from 1974 through the end of the 1979 season.  According to new information found on Intamin's website, they provided Great Adventure with another model under a contract dated 1980.  This would have been the most recent version that operated through the end of the 1991 season before being removed for the Batman Stunt Spectacular Arena in 1992.

Looking at the pictures of the Swiss Bob, you can see that there were variations in the two rides including the number of cars in the train, the handrail configurations on the cars, not to mention obvious aspects like the snow-themed backdrop and surrounding fencing.

Anyone have any thoughts or input?

SFGA0195%20copy.jpg

19900460%20copy.jpg

Interesting, I didn’t know Intamin supplied rides from Schwarzkopf.  I wonder what happened to the original ride?  Is it possible that you found an early contract for Sarajevo Bobsled, which goes by the official name of Intamin Swiss Bob?