The Green Lantern

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's never been credible rumors on any of this. Just people wanting to start rumors (about Bizarro leaving) and people hoping for a transformation of GL to floorless.   Also, based on you

Rode GL once, and that was enough for me.  It went to the bottom of my coaster list.

Posted Images

I think I am dissapointed with what they have done with the "Green Lantern". I think the "fly-through's" were cut at this point now, and when they were cut from the "corkscrew", that's when they painted the first loop yellow. What's the point of having the corkscrew yellow without a "flythrough". Then again, what's the point of having the loop yellow either without them? Not a single blade of grass was planted, and it's a maze of fences on a parking lot. I guess I was thinking that "Bizarro" was the new standard when it came to a coaster's themeing with such a "high-profile" tie-in with the movie coming out. I am only going by what is on the "cam" so I may be in for a surprise, but overall there can't be that much that I have not seen yet. The entrance "plaza" will be very good from the shot's we all saw, but I am afraid that's all I have to look forward to in the "theme" dept.

I think I am dissapointed with what they have done with the "Green Lantern". I think the "fly-through's" were cut at this point now, and when they were cut from the "corkscrew", that's when they painted the first loop yellow. What's the point of having the corkscrew yellow without a "flythrough". Then again, what's the point of having the loop yellow either without them? Not a single blade of grass was planted, and it's a maze of fences on a parking lot. I guess I was thinking that "Bizarro" was the new standard when it came to a coaster's themeing with such a "high-profile" tie-in with the movie coming out. I am only going by what is on the "cam" so I may be in for a surprise, but overall there can't be that much that I have not seen yet. The entrance "plaza" will be very good from the shot's we all saw, but I am afraid that's all I have to look forward to in the "theme" dept.

Green Lantern's coming along great theming-wise!

While I was at the park yesterday, worker crews added some decals to the station. Rutted roof panels are being added to the roof of the station, and signage was hung on both sides of the station with the Ferris (aviation company in the Green Lantern movie) logo and the motto "Where courage takes flight".

Also, some theming was added along the queue. The security guard allowed me to take a few photos over the construction fence:

600_3579.jpg

This box of theming was closed in the photos uploaded to Facebook earlier this week, it's open now. There's still theming inside waiting to be placed on the station or along the track. It looks like some human figures are inside the box, but it's hard to tell.

600_3578.jpg

This picture doesn't capture much, but you can see the side of the entrance way. The green lantern battery or whatever it's called has been mounted on top of the podium in the center of the logo on the ground. It looks like a light will go in the center that will light up at night.

Speaking of which, almost the entire track was lit up tonight. It looked amazing.

Interestingly enough, the little path area where the red machine is was where the band was playing on GASM's final night.

600_3577.jpg

Here, not only can you see the ride testing and the open box-o-theming, but you can also see an airplane prop that has been placed along the queue. It has a runway painted underneath it. It looks really awesome.

600_3576.jpg

Here you can see the sign which I assume will be placed onto the queue house.

Not shown in the pictures is a figurine of Green Lantern that has been placed against the station. The ride was testing all three trains today, and it looked great. The ride looked and sounded smooth, and I can't wait to ride it.

Edited by scipiomask

Opening Day I was driving 537 North to the park. I usually drive by that bone yard. The foilage wasn't grown in yet. I thought I saw The Right Stuff jet was missing then. Who would have known? Great recycling plan there.

Edited by CHILLERLC1

Was at the park today and got a sneak peek through the construction fence. It looks teriffic back there, although they still have a good amout of work to do. The roof on the station, the roof on the shed, and none of the switchbacks are up yet. There doesn't apear to be much in the way of on ride themeing that I could see, but still a few days to go. Today they were training the new operaters all day running various amounts of trains, doing transfers, start ups and block checks. The jet did look amazing with a new paint job and there's a crate full of props- I'm guessing for along the trek to the station. I would imagine that this week they will be very busy getting her ready for media day. The ride was running excellent and still no hesityation stop on the MCBR, but you can hear the brakes working. The trains look good, and look like they may have added some decals along the sides. I'm totally pumped to get a ride on this and can't wait to see how smooth it is.

The park already had Bizarro and Batman: The Ride as successors to The Great American Scream Machine. Let's consider ourselves to be very lucky that the Chicago installation of Chang got cancelled and a plan to bring it here seemed to be in place before GASM was announced to be closed. We're lucky to have this ride as a replacement, that the park didn't leave us with an empty lot at the end of the Boardwalk for who knows how long. This ride is a proven good ride. It's the more mature successor to Shockwave and GASM. Congratulations my fellow enthusiasts.

GL has a much longer walk back to it than Spuerman does. The ride was pretty good but rough for a B&M coaster, the positive G forces did bother my knees. I wish the station was a little nicer, it's just another small box station like most of GADV's stations. Still it is a big upgrade over GASM.

Nice addition to the park, though if you are 6 ft - 5 in or taller, DO NOT RIDE...

The op was checking me out and was almost NOT going to allow me to ride, due to the fact that I could not stand-up fully straight without bending my knees, and the rule is.....Keep your legs straight and do NOT bend your knees. This and the fact I was a bit hunched over due to the upper limit of the OTSR. He finally agreed to let me ride, and though all was ok, it's tough on the legs/feet if you are out of shape.

On my second ride in the Front (first was in the Back), it was again hard on the legs/feet, but because of my incorrect posture in the restraint and the fact that my legs/feet were already a bit weak from my first ride, I could feel my back "twinge" (for lack of a better word) at one of the High G-Force Elements towards the end of the ride. No permanent damage except a little sore today, but I now know I can NEVER ride a stand-up coaster again. You have been warned, Tall People !!!

Regardless, the theming is nice and I enjoyed how the path to and from the station runs directly under many elements of the coaster, even though roofs are present overhead.

I read a lot of that but didn't find it at all painful or bothersome in the legs or feet. I guess I was a little more concerned about that bike seat between my legs! :Z001_unsure:

That also bothered me, I think it's just one of those coasters you can't ride 10 times in a row. GL just exerts alot more positive Gs than most B&M coasters.