Shows for 2011-- The park wants YOUR feedback!

I like that they are asking for guest's opinions, but if they simply use Facebook they are going to most likely get a skewed result of just the primary Six Flags Facebook demographic. If they want to expand their offerings to other age groups with shows, they are going to miss the boat by putting in a show that once again appeals to those that already come to their parks for the coasters.

Heres the shows we need-

1.Aqua Stadium-Current Dolphin SHow

2.Great Lake Grandstand-SNL, and a NEW ski show

3.Temple of the Tiger-Tiger Show

4.Northern Star Arena-Concerts

5.Stunt Arena-a NEW Batman show, but make it good and Add a new attraction to the area so that there is addequit traffic flow for people to see and want to go in this new show

6.Showcase Theatre-Bring back Industrial Movement

7.Get rid of Liberty Square Gazebo and the shows at the old Pirates FLight spot. Its better for the park to just place all "street" shows in front of the fountain like they did with the drumming janitors and Mr.Six dance party. That way there are more crowds.

I find it interesting the top vote getters are the stunt shows.

I think all these people have a romanticized vision of the stunt shows and how "good" they were. I worked at many of those shows and attended many of them and people walked out because they were so cheesy. Even the shows at Universal and Disney which have HUGE budgets and can get full time stunt people have huge numbers of people walk out because they are boring and never as interesting as stunts look in the movies. How many times can you watch a stunt person fall into an airbag or jump off a ramp on a jet ski?

I find it interesting the top vote getters are the stunt shows.

I think all these people have a romanticized vision of the stunt shows and how "good" they were. I worked at many of those shows and attended many of them and people walked out because they were so cheesy. Even the shows at Universal and Disney which have HUGE budgets and can get full time stunt people have huge numbers of people walk out because they are boring and never as interesting as stunts look in the movies. How many times can you watch a stunt person fall into an airbag or jump off a ramp on a jet ski?

I know what you mean, and this SHOULD Work to the parks advantage!

Remember in the early seasons of the stunt show it was presented as "filming" different segments, not a continuing storyline like CATFIGHT. i say the parks should use this "film crew" approach to, instead of using a 20min storyline that gets boring, only "film" the really exciting scenes audiences would be interested in making a 10 min interesting, cheaper stunt show, that a 25 min scripted, drags on and gets boring stunt show.

Edited by warnerleroy

I agree. SF America has a Pirate Stunt show (that's actually less cheesy than the Batman ones and pretty popular) and on some days they substitute the show with a stunt demonstration, which people seem to really like. I think that's a better tone with which to deliver stunts.

I like that they are asking for guest's opinions, but if they simply use Facebook they are going to most likely get a skewed result of just the primary Six Flags Facebook demographic. If they want to expand their offerings to other age groups with shows, they are going to miss the boat by putting in a show that once again appeals to those that already come to their parks for the coasters.

Exactly. Adding a stunt show would do nothing to attract more people to the park, it would just give the people who already go there a show they may like, but even they would not watch them often because they are really there for the thrill rides.

Shows are what adults and seniors go to a park for, and that is why they do not go to Six Flags, because there are no shows for them, only for young people.

I don't think they could add ANY show that would realistically bring more people into the park, but a good show that's well advertised and well attended could improve the experience of many guests and significantly increase the likelihood of their visiting again. Unfortunately SFI (or SFEC, ha) doesn't seem to think like this, and is generally focused on additions with definite positive ROI.

QUOTE(warnerleroy @ Sep 8 2010, 09:16 PM) Nighttime Dance Party FTW 5a.gifbanana.gifbanana2.gif

Do they still do that? I remember either last season or the one before it they had a bunch of lights on the roofs of the main street building flashing along with blasting music. Wasn't much to choose to do again for the 2011 season.

With the way Weber was talking a few weeks ago with how they didn't think it was worth the cost and how it caused the parks to be open later, I am not expecting Glow In the Park to return :( I only saw it a few times but I couldn't believe how great it was.

Edited by Yoshi

I would hope they are rethinking that. Notice that EVERY park is doing a night event to keep people in the park later. There were people lining up for GITP like it was a Disney parade, it's hard to believe it wasn't effective in keeping people in the parks and spending money. Maybe it will be a case by case basis for keeping the parade, with some parks discontinuing it and sending some of their floats to other parks that are keeping it. I want that Scooby Doo float from Great America!

• 3 weeks later...

The dance parties can be good. My home park, Canobie lake park, Has Dance parties on 2 nights Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday Night is a techno party at the Extreme Frisbee and Friday night is at the midway stage with a large open area.

While shows don't really get new guest they offer a lot to the guest experience. A Stunt show will appeal to a border audience then say a music review.

Dance parties and stunt shows appeal to younger audiences, the one group that Six Flags does not have a problem attracting. If they want to survive they need to offer something for adults. Adults like singing and dancing. That's what they go to theme parks for, and that's why they do not like Six Flags, because they do not have them.

Shows WILL attract people if they are good. One of the things that attracts so many adults to Busch parks are the shows. They have quality shows that people come back for again and again. Williamsburg has a high quality Irish dance show that they bring actual Irish dancers from Ireland to perform. Tampa is opening a show that ran on Broadway, Vegas, and Atlantic City: Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy.

The shows are actually themed to enhance the park experience and offer adults something they really enjoy, along with a pleasant atmosphere and great food, all things Six Flags lacks.

Teenagers do not go to parks for shows, they go for the rides. Therefore it is a waste to produce shows that appeal to teenagers. The demographic Six Flags has trouble attracting are adults, that's why they need musicals.

Some adults like stunt shows. However most adults, including men, like musicals. Seniors LOVE musicals, and they flock to the parks that have them. Seniors have a great deal of free time and are very loyal and regular customers. Seniors want nothing to do with Six Flags because they have no shows, no unique dining, and a roudy, loud, unpleasant atmosphere.

The problem GA has always suffered from in regards to "Broadway Style Musical Revues" which work well in most theme parks is our proximity to the real thing. We have a jaded audience who expect b-way caliper performances since that's what's in their back yard. That's impossible to do on tight budgets that theme parks have for shows. You can't throw millions of dollars into a show which will yield no return on investment. Yes, if you did it right, it would yield a return, but that takes years to happen, and when you are dealing with a publicly traded company that only does one thing (theme parks), shareholders don't look long term, they want immediate ROI. As long as Six Flags is ONLY a theme park company, there will never be that latitude to make long term improvements like that. That's why Disney and Busch and Universal can do it is because theme parks are only a part of the portfolio and they can take time to invest and not have the company stop producing the results investors want to see.