29yrswithaGApass

Rolling Thunder

As per the Six Flags Great Adventure website:

medium_NJ_RollingThunder.jpg
The classic Rolling Thunder is a dual-track wooden roller coaster with a nearly 8-story drop and 10 great hills to cruise.

Rolling Thunder is temporarily closed.

We will all miss seeing Rolling Thunder though I doubt most people will REALLY miss riding it as much as they claim to. This is just like GASM where suddenly when they announce it is closing it becomes everyone's favorite ride that they can't live without and will never go back to the park again because they are taking it out.

It was a good ride in its day, but that day is long past.

Ahh, bummer: I just read that this will be Rolling Thunder's last season. NJ.com says: "The park says technology has surpassed the dual track coaster, which opened in 1979."

As someone who is a fan of retro coasters, I'm pretty sad to hear that news. I've got a lot of good memories of riding it (or chickening out when I was younger). Even though it is dwarfed by El Toro, I always thought it was a nice "family ride", and fairly tame for kids to warm up on. It wasn't always that way, of course -- it used to be a pretty crazy ride back in the day, comparatively speaking. I remember my dad going on it with my sister in 1986 and saying that it felt like his fillings were going to rattle out of his head. (Some things never change!)

good story. but just think of how awesome Zumanjaro will be! (i love the name!) and every coaster has its time to go. Do i think it should go? no! but again the ride was old, not popular, and expensive for the park. Maybe a world record breaking wing coaster and a Premier launch coaster can take its place!

Edited by sixflagsdude101

As cool as the drop tower may be for some people, I would much rather have rolling thunder. Let's hope that, as sixflagsdude101 said, that wing rider or some type of cool coaster takes its place.

im pretty pissed that the coaster is going offically now, ive known since february, but was hoping six flags last minute changes would save it...

I'm going to miss Rolling Thunder. It wasn't close to being my favorite coaster but I usually stopped at the coaster when I walked by it and if there wasn't much of a wait. I hope Runaway Mine Train stays for a long time, since that is now the only coaster in the park from before the 90's.

I don't see them getting rid of Runaway Mine Train soon. It was the first coaster built and it isn't very rough, it is in good condition for its age.

As said, every coaster has its time. I gave it a few more seasons, but didn't expect it around much longer. I have mixed feelings about this.

Obviously,the addition of the drop tower is an excuse to make the removal seem more neccessary than it really is. Rolling Thunder could easily have stayed even with the tower being added. I'm sure it all comes down to cost savings; Rolling Thunder requires a lot of attention is constantly in need of replacement parts to the structure and track. Along with this, there's not much sense in putting a lot of work and money into a coaster that anyone hardly rides anymore. It's popularity has plummeted and most guests complain of the roughness.

The downside here is our park will be without that 'classic' wooden coaster. Every park has one of these (Blue Streak at Cedar Point, Rebel Yell at King's Dominion, you get the idea) It's something that will be irreplaceable. Along with this, Rolling Thunder is in my opinion a great experience when both sides are operating. I will miss it, but if I had to choose? Give me that drop tower any day!

Its a real shame to see it go - its the end of an era! And while I can't say I didn't see it coming (I'd been hearing this for the past 2 years) I always hoped that it would get a rehab. But like I said, either way I'd be happy and as long as they utilize the space for something good, I don't mind.

Edited by ThemeParkRider

I made this thunder video mostly filmed in the station, as it is rarely filmed in there, so i just wanted to film in there with the last skid brakes in the park! Enjoy!

I’m disappointed about losing Rolling Thunder. I guess it’s more selfish in that it was my first “adult” coaster and now that my youngest daughter is tall enough to go on it’s her first “adult” coaster and her favorite ride. We ride it multiple times each visit. That said, if her mom would allow her to go on El Toro, that would be her favorite and she would forget about Rolling Thunder.

I'll miss it the way I miss Scream Machine. The fun with Scream Machine is I rode that one its first season and was able to ride it with my older daughter on its last season. I guess I can have a similar memory with my youngest as Thunder was our first big coaster, around 30 years apart.

It's more of a case of maintenance costs being too much combined with low ridership as well as opening up an area for the new ride's queue.

I keep forgetting that the real reason I think i'm gonna miss it is because it was the coaster that influenced me to try the big coasters. On my 5th grade trip to Great Adventure, I went on it not knowing anything about it, but I went on anyway. I found it really fun and before you know it I wanted to go back and try the big coasters. I loved them and since then I got season passes to six flags and try to go as much as I can.

In one week, Rolling Thunder will be having its last day of operation.

Went on rolling thunder today, possibly my last time ever.

Went to the park this afternoon. Road Thunder with my 9 year old twins. We waited in line for 45min or so. only left side running. while in line I was reminiscing on all the times I had waited in that line que. I won't bore you all with those memories but when rt opened I was nine years old and now on the year it is closing my twins are nine too.

once we made it on the red train I asked if the right side would be open before the end on Sunday. the attendant told us quietly that sorry no but the right side would never again run...