• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
29yrswithaGApass

Perthy P. Pelican Puppet Show Stage

The Master    38

I vaguely remember some of the earlier puppet shows, I remember the last show they had a live actor instead of a puppet playing a old sea salt type sailor. There was one part he tried to fish and hooked a Russian sub's periscope which would pop up though the dock.

Railer    48

I miss Percy. He was always fun as a kid in the park. And he was pretty good at his wisecrack's on Guest's, really funny stuff for back in the day. Nowaday's, if a performer "busted" on guest's the way he did back then, there would be trouble for that little puppet. The whole park back then was so much fun, with Percy, The Castle, and the music blasting at "Musik Express". Those days are missed.

Yankees99    0

Percy WAS the best. They had that theater in a good part of the park...right near some classic rides and the lakefront.

I agree with Railer...those days are missed.

Yankees99    0

I do remember a time when the puppet made fun of an obese guest, who took the ribbing in stride. Pelican said something like, "there probably aren't many rides you can get in and out of."

Not so sure you'd get away with that today.

I remember Perthy picking a rather muscular guy out of the audience and saying to him, "Hey man, even though I am a bird all I can say about your girlfriend is 'WOOF, WOOF, WOOF' - you must be blind!"

Railer    48

It's such a shame that if that sort of thing happened today, there would be calls and complaint's that would have it removed or "toned down" so much that it wouldn't be funny. There were some "Dunk Tank's" on the Boardwalk's down the shore where the guy in the Cage would "bust" on passerby's and players that were funny too. They are long gone as well.

GAcoaster    78

The puppets did get complaints at GR all the time which is one of the reasons the show was removed. The performers always walked a fine line and often would be threatened with violence. Of course the guys they picked on (almost always guys and almost always "Jersey Shore" types) then even looked more ridiculous when they started threatening a puppet, which just made the joke even funnier. The guys who I knew that did the puppet would periodically need Security when they emerged from the building. Most of the time, the short attention spans of the people being made fun of meant they were dragged off by their friends or girlfriends after waiting around a few minutes.

The clowns and other face characters used to get complaints over their humor when they would insult guests. I always think of one of my favorite clown stories, where little a little kid kept saying "Do some magic clown" and the clown responded by waiving his hands over the kid and saying "Poof! You're a piece of ----".

scipiomask    0

While some offensive humor can be funny, that girlfriend comment is a bit over the top -- while you can help being obese, you can't help being ugly. Or cursing in the park is pretty bad too - but at the same time, edginess is good. But sometimes you have to decide what kind of image you want.

Awhile back one of our trivia questions led to a discussion about "Gadzooks" - the puppet featured in 1985. In our conversations we weren't able to recall very much about him and our member Thunderbolt seemed to remember him the best.

Several years later, some of the mystery has been solved. Below are two photos of Gadzooks! Cold Case at its best! :P

gallery_2_579_628493.jpg

gallery_2_579_885283.jpg

I was going though some old amusement park books I have and ran across the one pictured below from 1977. What caught my eye was this passage:

"An unusual puppet theater near the Gingerbread Fancy restaurant features puppets of Lilberace, Fay Wray, King Kong, and the duck from You Bet Your Life, Groucho Marx's tlevision quiz show."

This was prior to the Perthy P. Pellican show, but anyone know what made the first version of the puppet theater "unusual"?

gallery_2_35_1072887.jpg

gallery_2_35_1131722.jpg

gallery_2_35_351877.jpg

I think the combination of characters represented in the puppet show itself is an unusual (and certainly unorthodox) mix of players.

GAcoaster    78

It sounds to me like they are describing the Music Hall and the puppet show there. I guess it was unusual because it was in the tent building rather than a real theater (although I believe that Astroworld had the same one)

It sounds to me like they are describing the Music Hall and the puppet show there. I guess it was unusual because it was in the tent building rather than a real theater (although I believe that Astroworld had the same one)

Definitely not describing the Music Hall because it didn't even exist at the time... They were referring to the 1977 season, pre- Six Flags.