• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

JetsDevs4Lyf

What was the first Roller Coaster you remember riding at Great Adventure?

What was the first Roller Coaster you remember riding at Great Adventure?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first Roller Coaster you remember riding at Great Adventure?

• Runaway Mine Train
    • Lightnin' Loops
    • Rolling Thunder
    • Great American Scream Machine
    • Shockwave
    • Batman: The Ride
    • Viper
    • Skull Mountain
    • Medusa
    • Nitro
    • Superman: Ultimate Flight
    • Kingda Ka
    • El Toro
    • Other (Please let us know below)

My first coaster was Runaway Mine Train in 1974. I was a wee tot of 7 years old and I loved it.

I graduated to the big coasters a few years later with The Cyclone at Coney Island. But I always came back to Great Adventure.

I think I rode almost every coaster they had at one point in time except Kingda Ka.

Kingda Ka is too much for me.

If I want to go that high and that fast I think I should have an airplane around me.

:lol:

Paulie

Little Rolling Thunder followed by Runaway Mine Train a few seasons later.

I was just talking about how in the 80's there was a progression. Everyone started with Little Thunder, then Runaway Mine Train, then Rolling Thunder, and Lightnin' Loops was the BIG coaster. When that was all the park had for many years, it was like everyone's steps into coaster riding. I still remember that first day I got the courage to climb those shaky stairs and ride Lightnin' Loops! I felt so brave and so grown up!!! :D

Batman the Ride in 2005. We waited 33 minutes exactly for it. I remember being SO nervous, but as we careened through the course, I remember thinking "Woah. This is so cool."

Then I rode Nitro for the first time and re-rode 3 times! =]

Rolling Thunder left. Around 1994, when I was 11. Even though I did go to the park as a kid in the 80's, I don't remember anything other than kiddie rides at that time.

It was Runaway Mine Train for me, and I remember being terrified. I got over that quickly, and rode Lightnin' loops about a week later :P

me too

(keeping it simple)

Looks like I've been the only one...Kingda Ka was my first in 2005.

Runaway Mine Train, it was the only Coaster they had at the time. My second was Rolling Thunder the year it debuted.

Runaway Train and Big Fury (next to the Giant Wheel) in 1975.

Nothing better than those hair-pinned turns on the Runaway Train, including that last one going over the lake at full force.

Batman and Robin The Chiller - Batman Side! Basically took a right and worked our way around the park.

The first roller coaster I went on was Bizarro (formerly Medusa). It was awesome! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Great American Scream Machine...or I should say 173 Feet of Infamy? :)

Not really sure what my first coaster ever was at Great Adventure. I'm going to guess Runaway Mine Train. My first Wooden Coaster ever was Rolling Thunder though. Not a very good first impression if you ask me.

My first coaster at Great Adv. was Scream Machine,during my first-ever Coaster Celebration in Sept.1999.I remember coming into the parking lot and seeing GASM looming there,and I said to myself,"I'll start with that one!".

The first roller coaster I remember riding -- the Sarajevo Bobsled. It's such a vague memory, but I remember being pretty nervous and then realizing it wasn't so bad.

The first real landmark ride in my roller coaster career was my first ride on the Scream Machine. I chickened out during its inaugural year, but I swore all winter that I'd ride it the following summer. I did, and the ride certainly lived up to its name... I screamed very sincerely from start to finish. Nowadays, the GASM is peanuts as compared to some of the other coasters in the park... but back then, that was pretty much the ultimate scariest coaster you could imagine!

Mine was Skull Mountain. Coincidently that was also my first 'real' (ie. non-portable) roller coaster. Yeah, I didn't get into coasters until I was like 12 I guess. lol

If I remember correctly my first coaster at Great Adventure was Runaway Mine Train, my first inverted coaster of all time was GASM.

My first rollercoaster was rolling thunder.I went on the right side first and hurt myself then I went on the left side and it was soooo much better than the right.