Papa John’s adds former Six Flags president to board

Papa John’s adds former Six Flags president to board

Business First - by Ed Green, Staff Writer

Date: Monday, February 21, 2011, 4:59pm EST.

Pizza giant Papa John’s International Inc. has appointed Mark S. Shapiro to the company’s board of directors.

Shapiro, 41, has served as CEO of Dick Clark Productions since May 2010. Before that, he served as president and CEO of Six Flags Inc., the former owner of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, and led the company through its Chapter 11 reorganization.

Prior to joining Six Flags, Shapiro spent 12 years at ESPN Inc., working as executive vice president, programming and production.

Shapiro’s “experience in the entertainment sector will bring a new perspective to the board and additional energy to our brand,” Papa John’s founder, chairman and co-CEO John Schnatter said in a news release.

Louisville-based Papa John’s International (NASDAQ: PZZA) is the world’s third largest pizza company.

Hmmm...... :hmm:

I hope this isn't the end of the great deals they have like Buy 1 Get 1 Free. I always remember walking past the stands in the park and thinking how $6.49 for a jumbo slice is crazy when you can get a large pizza out of the park for the same price and one of the first things Red Zone did was raise prices all over the park.

According the Papa John's latest financial report:

During the fourth quarter of 2010, 50 domestic restaurants (one company-owned and 49 franchised) were opened and 27 domestic franchised restaurants were closed. For the full year of 2010, we opened 174 domestic restaurants (five company-owned and 169 franchised) and closed 84 restaurants (two company-owned and 82 franchised). The franchised restaurant closings included 11 non-traditional units located in Six Flags theme parks in connection with our decision not to renew our sponsorship agreement. The remaining four Six Flags units will close in the first quarter of 2011. Our total domestic development pipeline as of December 26, 2010 included more than 300 restaurants, 80% of which are scheduled to open over the next two to three years.

If I am not mistaken, Great Adventure had five Papa John's locations:

- Near the fountain

- Lightnin' Loops Cafe building

- HBO Commissary

- Golden Kingdom's Outpost

- Hurricane Harbor

I guess we can look forward to five new foodstands!