Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Golden Kingdom pathway closed ...but for a good reason!

Sometimes a temporary inconvenience is well worth it if it leads to a long term improvement... and that is what is in store for us!

Many have complained about the closure of the path alongside the former Balin's Jungleland that makes the walk from Kingda Ka to El Toro a little longer and a little less convenient. While there has been speculation that the closure is just a way to get folks into the games area, the truth is the closed off section is planned to be under "Funstruction" as the exciting new Safari Discoveries area has plans for expansion.

Anyone who has visited the park in the past two weekends can see the potential of this exciting new area, and with even more real estate to expand into, the possibilities are endless! It is so cool that our beloved Golden Kingdom will be home to so many animal exhibits!

So don't complain while making the extended trek between coasters... Great Adventure is expanding for our future enjoyment! You can't complain about that!

Yeah, the reaction to the new Safari Discoveries has been overwhelmingly positive. I saw Doc today and they just added turkeys to the area. If the weather finally stays warm we'll be seeing parakeets soon, and the flamingos and crowned crane should be coming as well.

We should be getting more details on the expansion soon...after the debut of Green Lantern.

I mentioned that on Facebook they (Paul or Kev) said that they had a plan for it. Re-Theme to the Safari won't be bad at all.

Seems like all the local parks are changing the layout of their walkways and making it harder to get around them in recent years. 29yrs, are you saying the reason the GK walkway is closed is because it isn't warm enough yet for some of the animals to be put out for display?

No, I believe they're adding a whole new little area over there. I've heard the name Family Oasis thrown around at different places, so I think thats what's going there.

The Master, the animals on display will always be changing to keep the area fresh and new and to acomodate newborns from the Safari. The reason the walkway is currently blocked is because the park plans to expand the Safari Discoveries area and incorporate the land occupied by the walkway as well as some of the neighboring Balin's area. In the end, Safari Discoveries will be much larger than just the former tiger viewing areas that are open today.

Warner, not sure of timing right now but will share that as soon as we find out.

No, I believe they're adding a whole new little area over there. I've heard the name Family Oasis thrown around at different places, so I think that's what's going there.

Actually, Family Oasis refers to the idea of having one centralized children's area where passage in and out is through one entrance/exit. The idea is to have a large land devoted just for children with a restaurant and patios at its core. Parents and families would be able to rest and enjoy the various kiddie rides, water features, and play structures in a controlled "gated" environment.

Also, the idea of Safari Discoveries was something untried in the park before. It made sense to try it in a limited way with the existing infrastructure rather than do a full build in the section. Now that it has proven to be so popular, it makes sense to go ahead with an expansion.

Actually, Family Oasis refers to the idea of having one centralized children's area where passage in and out is through one entrance/exit. The idea is to have a large land devoted just for children with a restaurant and patios at its core. Parents and families would be able to rest and enjoy the various kiddie rides, water features, and play structures in a controlled "gated" environment.

Do we have an idea on where the location of that will be or is that still a blue sky thought right now?

Do we have an idea on where the location of that will be or is that still a blue sky thought right now?

It's a blue sky idea right now. It may be two or three seasons away.

So Family Oasis would basically be like Kings Island's Planet Snoopy, where all the kids rides are in one giant section?

I hope that never happens, I like the fact that all the kids rides are scattered around the park.

This new Safari Discoveries entrance/exit is further proof that the GK path is closed for constuction and not just to filter traffic through the Boardwalk.

2011_05_19_IMG_1005%20copy.jpg

Yes, the llamas area where the tortoises use to be but the tortoises are now in the Safari Discoveries area with the Kangaroos (just like in the Safari).

2011_05_19_IMG_1021%20copy.jpg

one good thing about that path being closed is that earlier in the day, el toro and bizarro lines were empty! That was a nice change coming from superman and Green Lantern.