Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Log Flume

Our member Daved Thomson sent us a YouTube link of a great video on Arrow water rides. The video contains footage of the Log Flume's original but removed spillwater drop (at 0:30). The video and some screenshots are below. Thanks Daved!

gallery_2_1004_79787.jpg

gallery_2_1004_2534.jpg

gallery_2_1004_34322.jpg

gallery_2_1004_19086.jpg

gallery_2_1004_16069.jpg

It also talks about how concrete track is less expensive than a fiberglass trough and has a very brief view of the ground level Hyrdro Flume boats floating down river with the Great Train in the background!

gallery_2_1109_18924.jpg

• Like 1

That was an interesting video.

Watching the video and thinking about how so many parks had a log flume, rapids and splashdown boat, I don't like that so many parks seem to be removing their log flumes and other water rides in recent years and I hope Sawmill Log Flume is still operating for at least another 20 - 30 years.

• Like 1

Just like the M&Ms Skyway and advertisements at the fort and Dream Street station! Advertising can actually be fun.

• Like 2

I am stunned by the amazing array of old photos that are posted on this site. You can recreate the history of just about any feature that was ever in this park. The older I get the more I am into history and recreating it through old photos and videos, so I am so glad that I found this site. I am also a civil engineer so threads like this discussing fluid dynamics of a flume ride is right up my alley. KUDOS to GAH and its members!

That's THE beauty about this website: The old-school photos. Harry has done and continues to do a remarkable job with this site. By the way, I notice there are a lot of security cameras around different parts of the Log Flume. I don't recall there really being any back in the 70s and into the early 80s.

At this point, I must have ridden log flume-type ride at a minimum of a dozen parks over the years, but probably a lot more.

Busch Gardens, Great Adventure, Dorney, Hershey, Great Escape, Knoebels, Playland, Dutch Wonderland, Marineland, etc.

Log Flume flashback! Who remembers when the photo booth was at the top of the entrance and exit stars above the turntable? At first it had a temporary roof and then a permanent structure. The major problem was that the stand created a bottleneck because it didn't have any queue space causing exiting guests to backup onto the turntable.

gallery_2_1004_203636.jpg

gallery_2_1004_165470.jpg

When were these photos taken?

Log Flume at GA still the best I've ever ridden. Busch Gardens in Tampa at No. 2, followed by the ones at Hershey Park and Magic Mountain.