• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.

GAcoaster    78

I remember there was one column in the Log Flume station that used to be covered in gum like that, and a tree like that in front of the Hydro Flume.

The gum trees sort of became attractions in themselves. This photo was actually taken from an old 8mm Great Adventure film. The camera man actually spent time using up his limited amount of film shooting the tree.

Photo #13 - September 25, 2012:

2012_09_23.png

May 31, 2003

After three decades of snacking on vinyl top car roofs and turning the last section of the Safari

into an automobile chop-shop, the Monkey Jungle remained closed in 2003. It reopened in 2004,

modified with the installation of fencing which would separate guests from the mischievous monkeys.

Photo #14 - October 2, 2012:

2012_09_30.png

May 1974

The Aqua Spectacle has long been the home for family style shows ranging from dolphins and sea lions to birds

and high diving acts. The 3500 seat arena features an 80 foot diameter pool holding 430,000 gallons of converted

salt water. At its peak, the stadium hosted 12 shows daily performed every hour from park opening to park closing.

OCMDBeach1    0

I love this picture! I was fortunate enough to go under the pool when a good friend of mine worked there. It was spooky but it was neat to be one of a few guests that were able to walk thru there!

Photo #15 - October 9, 2012:

2012_10_07.png

July 1983

The Hocus Pocus Magic and Gags Shop opened in 1980 and quickly became the place at Great Adventure for unique

merchandise, toys, and tricks which amused guests young and old alike. Visitors to Hocus Pocus were always being

watched as they shopped by dozens of scary rubber masks that lined the upper shelves of the store.

Those masks were pretty unique for their time. Back in the day they weren't readily available at stores like Walmart or Target, and there weren't many big Halloween pop-up stores like there are today. I remember they were pricey.

Photo #16 - October 16, 2012:

2012_10_14.png

February 1994

Great Adventure's first indoor ride was added in 1994 - The Right Stuff Mach 1 Adventure. Housed in a six story,

16,000 sq ft building resembling an Edwards Air Force Base aircraft hangar, the 100 seat simulator theater operated

continuously from 1994 to 2009, after which time the motion-base seats were removed and the building gutted.

any idea whats gonna happen to the building?

As of now, it is storage, it will probably be kept that way knowing Great Adventure. The chiller station is still there, that was removed on 2007.

Edited by gasmspiritblue

Andrew M    20

its really sad to think i may never enter that building again.. or i will never see elvira at fright fest ever again..

GAcoaster    78

It's better as an empty building WITH Green Lantern than it would have been to get the simulator they were planning (as an upcharge) and no Green Lantern. Of course it would have been better to keep it, but it was too late when management changed.

Photo #17 - October 23, 2012:

2012_10_21.png

May 1991

Adventure Rivers, a 15-acre water rides section, opened at Great Adventure in 1991. The $4 million area

featured three new wet-dry slide complexes ranging in height from 30 to 60 feet, a new children splash zone,

and incorporated the existing Splash Down and Roaring Rapids rides. Total capacity for the entire area was

7,700 guests per hour.

All the slides were destroyed when they were removed at the end of 1998.

They could of sold them, like how loops shows in the pic!

I wish I was able to go on these slides when I was younger. I remember my mom taking me to Kowala Canyon when I first went to Great Adventure. Now that whole area (Looney Tunes Seaport included) is lifeless. I miss the old Looney Tunes Seaport, without the whole Safari Kid expansion.

Photo #18 - November 6, 2012:

2012_11_05.png

August 1976

During the summer of 1976, Marvelli's Magic Caravan rolled into town and set up shop at the

Bandstand on the Lake. Guests were invited to "Join our master magician, Marvelli, and his cast

of costumed assistants as they lead you into the exciting and mysterious world of magical illusions."

Photo #19 - November 11, 2012:

2012_11_11.png

June 2005

On this Veterans Day GreatAdventureHistory.com proudly salutes all the brave men and women, past

and present, who have protected and served our great country. Pictured here is a sand sculpture in the

Woodland Gardens area of the park entitled "Christmas at the Front - 1944."