Hershey Park's Roller Soaker Leaving?

According to Screamscape, Roller Soaker is already up for sale which pretty much means Hershey Park is going to remove this winter. Sad to see such a unique ride go.

General Resort News - (8/21/12) It has now been un-officially confirmed that Roller Soaker will be leaving Hersheypark this winter. The unique Set Point creation is now listed for sale on Rides4U for $799,000.
Edited by Up_Up_and_Away
Link & quote added.

The line is very slow moving for Roller Soaker. Usually I don't go to Hershey during Aug but it looks like I am going to make a special trip there for one last ride on Roller Soaker.

I rode Roller Soaker twice, both times the wait was horribly slow. I remember one of the wait times was 45 minutes and the line was not that far out of the station. I just hope that after this, when they want to add more to the waterpark, they won't remove other rides like the Dry Gulch Railroad. I miss Canyon River Rapids and liked it a lot more than the lazy river and wavepool that replaced it (not to mention, who ever heard of a 45 minute wait to get into a wavepool?)

I didn't wait for it but they had switchbacks set up and it appeared that you were allowed in for a set amount of time (possibly 10 minutes), then they cleared the wavepool and then let the next group of people in.

Edited by Yoshi

They usually don't do that early in the season, only when it gets really crowded such as now during the height of the summer crowds.

I went to Hershey today and was able to ride Roller Soaker 5 times with a zero wait before the line became bad. The line stacks up fast on that ride, took some pictures too. I saw from the station that they already have survey markings around Roller Soaker.

I was also able to ride the Vortex and Riptide slides once each before their lines got bad. Wasn't able to ride Whilwind or Surge due to long wait times. Lines at the Boardwalk get bad fast and you just have to expect not being able to ride them during mid day, which is why I prefer Wild Water Kingdom and the real shore, Morey's. Even their river gets a bad line, not because of a lack of tubes, but the entrance is designed so only one person can get in at a time. That is besides that most people there need help putting their ass in a hole. :smileystooges:

Edited by The Master
  • 3 months later...

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/12/roller_soaker.html

Update, Screamscape says that Hershey has confirmed that Roller Soaker is going to be removed and work has already started. Their are photos showing the queue ramp has already been knocked down and the water guns removed. A very sad sight since it was their best water ride though it's capacity did suck. I will say it's replacement, a sprayground sounds really lame, hopefully these two new slides will be on their own new tower and not added to the park's lone already existing tower with a poorly set up queue.

Edited by The Master

Once again this is a great example of the rumor was there on Screamscape, people poo-pooed it, management denied it, and it happened.

It just seems strange to me that management in this case denied it rather than ignoring it or even embracing it and advertising "get your final rides". The parks that have taken that approach have had great success. Like when Universal Orlando closed Jaws or when GA pulled the plug on Scream Machine and told people. It just builds anticipation for the next new thing with lots of free publicity (even if they don't announce what's next at that time).

Parks not giving notice for rides closing is something I have always hated. I got my final Scream Machine rides in at the end of June that year because of the rumors of it leaving but I thought it was good the park told everyone in early July they had 2 weeks to get their final rides in instead of just closing it at the end of a season or in the middle of the season without any notice.

Even with 2 new slides, I'm still going to avoid the Boardwalk since they need a lot more than that to help with the crowds.

That's good to hear, I'm glad the park realizes how important it is for some people to know ahead of time a ride is leaving.

Edited by Yoshi

Parks not giving notice for rides closing is something I have always hated. I got my final Scream Machine rides in at the end of June that year because of the rumors of it leaving but I thought it was good the park told everyone in early July they had 2 weeks to get their final rides in instead of just closing it at the end of a season or in the middle of the season without any notice.

Even with 2 new slides, I'm still going to avoid the Boardwalk since they need a lot more than that to help with the crowds.

I just hope the new slides will hav their own tower and not just jammed into the already existing tower which is already a mess with the lines. However I will say Hershey does keep the Boradwalk spotless, even in Aug it was still very clean while WWK was losing some luster and HH was getting downright dirty.