• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

29yrswithaGApass

1983 Yearbook - Season #10

I have said it before, 1983 was my favorite season of all time at Great Adventure! It seemed to be as close to perfection as you could get at the park. The mix of rides, shows, enertainment, concerts, attractions, landscaping, atmosphere, etc., was wonderful.

• Like 1

I recall all the employees in 1983 wearing pins with the logo below. It was an employee program, but to guests it seemed as if they were suppose to be the key.

gallery_2_579_665789.jpg

One fo the things I find most interesting is that all show venues were used, Besides concerts the Great Arena still had its western show. The Americana Music Hall offered 3 diffrent shows. Bandstand by the Lake stil offered up music. What happened?

Edited by FlumeOp1974

This was the last year that I went to GA. That was indeed a great season with what turned out to be some classic ride aditions in Freefall and Parachuter Perch. Hard to believe it's now been more than 30 years since the last time I've been to GA.

I rode the free fall ride at dorney park in June, did not know it would flip you on your back! but there is a dark side to that day witch you can check my forums.

OK, I am going to really date myself here, but who remembers these? They were typically found near the cash register in record stores (those use to be shops that sold these spinning black vinyl discs that made music :P ). I remember always seeing them at Sam Goody in Woodbridge Center mall. (Sam Goody was one of those record stores. The malls also use to have Orange Julius stands, Kaybee Toy and Hobby, and Hammond Organ stores back in those days!)

gallery_2_35_836838.jpg

gallery_2_35_397160.jpggallery_2_35_177783.jpg

I'm just as old... bought The Police Syncronicity album in a Sam Goody and my parents purchased a 3 tier Organ.

1983 was the last time I ever went to GA. They had some great acts appear that year. If I could back in time, I would have gone to the Kenny Loggins concert. I went a couple of weeks after the Loggins concert to GA. I do remember seeing similar phamlets at music stores on Long Island.

I remember going to see Quarterflash that year. We nearly missed the concert because we were in line for FreeFall and the ride broke down. We had already waited over an hour and we were determined to get on it.

I think I remember our phones being tethered to the wall for some reason. When we went to GA we actually talked to the people we were with not the people we left at home.

The ultimate in shows for Great Adventure - the 1983 season, illustrated to show just how extensive the entertainment lineup was for that year.

gallery_2_35_3702401.jpg

I miss all the shows. For older and less adventurous people that don't want to ride super thrill coasters, the shows were awesome. Characters walking around the park, and little dance acts are okay, but shows were where it was at. To not have ANYTHING at the lakefront borders on criminal.

I graduated college in May of 1983.

It's astounding how much is missing from Great Adv. show-wise.I myself like shows because it gives me a chance to chill out in between mini-marathons on the various rides.

It's astounding how much is missing from Great Adv. show-wise.I myself like shows because it gives me a chance to chill out in between mini-marathons on the various rides.

I assume this is a trend at all SF parks?

Fiesta Texas and SFA both have a decent amount of good shows, from what I hear.

SFA has a surprisingly good show line up. A good mix of light shows, parades, etc. Wish we had that kind of stuff at SFGADV.

SFA has a surprisingly good show line up. A good mix of light shows, parades, etc. Wish we had that kind of stuff at SFGADV.

that might help me convince the wife to get to SFA later this summer or fall

Was talking to a friend of mine the other day who believes he saw Kenny Loggins at GA in 1983? He definitely saw Loggins in NJ that year. Is there any film footage or video from the GA performance available?