• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

Sign in to follow this  
CoasterDan

Reed Road Questions

To avoid posting multiple topics, I'll just throw out a few questions I've had on Reed Rd here. I drove down the road for the first time and its pretty weird seeing the park from that aspect.

1) What is the road? Was it just a boundary line for when GA was purchased, or was it made for construction access of the park?

2) What is the area near the very backend of the safari (near lions) that almost looks on google maps to be a boneyard-type area?

Just curious about these any info would be great.

-D

Reed Road dates back before the 1930s. As with most of the earliest roadways, especially in non-developed land, it probably served as a perimeter roadway or property lines. When the Safari was built it was simply placed against the back edge of the property they owned at the time. The empty clearing beyond the lion section is somewhat a mystery. Prior to the park being built it was not void of trees so it must have been planned for some type of development. It is roughly where the Wild Country area of Warner's original design is located below:

OVERVIEWMAP.png