• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

GAcoaster

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

I wonder what will happen one day if they want to take kingda ka down and not zumanjaro. Would they have to take out both? Or would they keep the supports from the tower and not the track? I'm really excited to ride this though! I wonder what it's like to fall at a speed of 90 mph.

I am sad to hear RT is going however looking at the big picture, its a HUGE plot of land opened, and now that the baboons will be in the park, their area of the safari will be empty therefore even more land for possible expansion in the future.

^jonlee I road rolling thunder a little over 2 weeks ago for my last time ever and it was one of its smoothest rides ive gotten i really couldnt have asked for much of a better ride out of her. We marathoned her for gadv online day the last half hour before the park closed and quite truly she didnt dissappoint

oh ok. i haven't been on it in years. last time i was on it, i got off, my back hurt so much that it hurt to breathe. lol. i will take your word on it and ride one last time before its gone.

Why so many people want a wing coaster is beyond me. Ive lead the we dont need a wing rider campaign since it started and after riding all the wing riders in the USA: wild eagle, x-flight and gatekeeper my opinion has only been confirmed! Its not a whole lot different of an experience than an invert or a floorless...of which we have both! Do yall realize there isnt a single inversion at our park that is not a b&m inversion??!! Thats ridiculous! Now there is one exception to b&m and thats if we get a beemer 4D im all on that bandwagon and have been since pushing it from 2003...yes 2003! But other wise we need better variety. An intamin looper like fahrenheit or maverick would be a great addition or a looping rmc would be good too and as always inwill continue to be on the intamin giga bandwagon as well

Yeah. I don't understand this Wing Rider craze... A B&M 4D would be a much better and an even more game changing option. How about a Dive Machine? An Intamin Giga or LSM Launch would be nice. Or a GCI Dueling coaster! And if we were to get a Wing Rider, it would probably end up being a clone of X-Flight.

I would think an iron horse coaster would come before a wing rider at this point. They are cheaper and seem to be getting more buzz overall .

i hope we either get a new 4d coaster, or a premier launch coaster or both! one in the chiller area and one in the rolling thunder former area

and i understand why people are sad about rolling thunder, but think of whats to come in the futue in the GIANT plot of land. and think of how awesome this ride will be!

Yall realize how much land this opens up? Not just the rolling thunder lot but the entire baboon area and the old part of the safari that is no longer being used its HUGE! You could legitly fit two park sections in there! So we now suddenly have a ton of room to expand that doesnt need tree removal and isnt parking lot space!

maybe two coaster there and some flat rides! or maybe a rollercoaster in the rolling thunder area and the waterpark relocate in the unused safari area

Rolling Thunder had a long line today, probably about an hour, I guess everyone wants to get on it before it closes. Also, not sure where else to say this, but Kingda Ka is closed for the day.

probably because they are out there looking at it for the new ride and expect it to be closed for the start of 2014 due to building Zumanjaro.

Although I like the idea of using Kingda Ka's structure for the new drop tower,do they really need to take down Rolling Thunder?The article says that RT has "dwindling popularity";first of all,didn't they say the same thing about Medusa,hence the rethemeing?And what if in another 10+ years KK and it's Siamese twin drop ride obtain "dwindling popularity"?I know coasters cost serious money to maintain and operate,but first it was GASM and now RT-basically coasters that turned Great Adv. into a coaster mecca.

P.S.-Is Great Adv. willing to replace RT with an Intamin version of the triple racer that was at Port Arthur,Texas?

Rolling Thunder had a long line today, probably about an hour, I guess everyone wants to get on it before it closes. Also, not sure where else to say this, but Kingda Ka is closed for the day.

Rolling Thunder will always have a long wait because dispatch times are so slow. That is yet another reason for its demise.

Do you know why dispatch times are slow? Is there a reason?

Because the crew has to check every seatbelt and then all the lapbars. And unlike Toro which has the same process, the crew is usually unmotivated and slow moving as well as being a smaller crew than Toro's (because it is a less popular ride). Add to that the guests who can't figure out how a seatbelt works and guests complaining about the tight fit in the seats, guests not figuring out how to enter the station and creating a bottleneck at the rear of the train or insisting they want a specific seat instead of filling in all rows and then throwing in Flash Pass users boarding from the center and breaking up groups (who then insist they have to ride together), it's a general cluster f---.

And that is why (combined with a rough ride and high maintenance costs) Rolling Thunder is leaving.

ALL of those things could be fixed by throwing money at the coaster, but the return on investment would not be worth it. It needs to get re-tracked, needs the trains either completely rebuilt by PTC or replaced, the braking system needs to be updated and replaced and the station needs to be completely reconfigured, and for the millions of dollars it would cost to do all that they could buy a whole new ride that would actually bring people to the park. Advertising "we fixed Rolling Thunder" doesn't exactly draw the crowds. The cost of giving it the iron horse treatment would be more than building a new coaster from scratch (like Goliath at SFGAm) and being a small coaster would mean they couldn't really add a lot of features like overbanked turns or inversions without basically rebuilding the ride's structure to give it more height and speed.

Once again, while I am sad to see it (or any ride) removed from the park, it always comes down to numbers. And, if sacrificing Rolling Thunder means the park gets to keep something else that is maintenance intensive (like the Skyride) it's a tradeoff I'd gladly make. They can always add another (better) wooden coaster, they will never build another Skyride.

That was well said. I do hope in the nearby future a new wooden coaster is put in. And it may sound funny, but I would like the wooden coaster to have similar statistics to Rolling Thunder. (speed, height,) Although of course I would love seeing another great woodie like el toro, but I just think every park needs a moderate sized wooden coaster, whether it is new or old.

I do like the idea of a small GCI in Rolling Thunder's space or anywhere in the park. If it were to go in Thunders spot, it could be small enough so that family's will ride it and a path from Plaza to Golden Kingdom would be possible.

Although I like the idea of using Kingda Ka's structure for the new drop tower,do they really need to take down Rolling Thunder?The article says that RT has "dwindling popularity";first of all,didn't they say the same thing about Medusa,hence the rethemeing?And what if in another 10+ years KK and it's Siamese twin drop ride obtain "dwindling popularity"?I know coasters cost serious money to maintain and operate,but first it was GASM and now RT-basically coasters that turned Great Adv. into a coaster mecca.

P.S.-Is Great Adv. willing to replace RT with an Intamin version of the triple racer that was at Port Arthur,Texas?

it probably is getting removed for future rollercoasters