GAcoaster

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

I bet its delayed because of the dented screen, why would you want to shoot a commercial of your brand new attraction damaged. I guess its taking longer to fix or refabricate a new one. make total sense.

That is really unfortunate. I wonder if this is any of Intamin's doing, or if it solely construction-based problems or permits.

If it is the fault of Intamin, which seems like it is the case for Falcons Fury at BGT, that is a shame- Intamin makes some really incredible rides, but Six Flags has been migrating away from their products with all the issues they present.

Your right about Intamin making some incredible rides. It sucks many of them have problems. I went to Cedar Point this year on 2 separate trips, opening weekend and coastermania. TTD had a lot of downtime the first trip, but I got a bunch of rides on it, On my 2nd trip it didn't even open, and when I got back, heard it was down for a week till they got it back up. And Maverick goes down a lot too. It really sucks, they make a great product, but its so unreliable. Even yesterday at Sfgadv 6-20, Kingda Ka went down a few times. I talked to someone exiting the line who waited for over 2 hrs and left the line because they didn't want to wait any longer.

Edited by DANofNJ

Here's some shot's of the current state of Zumanjaro/Ka from yesterday. And Ka was up and down the whole time it was open yesterday. El Toro has been having problems with the lift as well lately. Monday and Friday it closed for some time after a Train was stranded at the bottom of the lift.

gallery_208_401_2233.jpggallery_208_401_908306.jpggallery_208_401_383796.jpg

Dan, I really don't think it has anything to do with the screen, it's not very noticale and with the magic of tv it can be fixed or go unnoticed. I think the delay could be because of the predicted weather since a helicopter is supposed to be shooting us. A cloudy stomy sky would not look good on tv and may not be ideal flying conditions for a helicopter.

Thursday evening all 3 were parked just above the breaks and the far right no longer looked damaged (but who knows it could be the angel).

Mid tower seems to be the position for over night storage. Maybe they can't leave the magnets stored on the brake fins?

After riding the drop towers at Kings Dominio and Busch Gardens this week I can only imagine what 140ft more would feel like!

One can only guess why it was delayed...the weather doesn't look that bad on Wed.

My opinion is that some tools, or a toolbox was dropped or fell from workers on top of the "catch-cars" that dented the the screen. It did what it's supposed to do, protect riders and the Gondola's. I don't think a dented screen would have anything to do with a delay of the opening.

Forgot to post this earlier...Went to the park last Sunday (awesome day), spoke to a park employee about Zumanjaro. He said it hasn't opened yet due to some approval that needs to happen with the state and they are hoping to open it by the end of the month. Throw this one in the high rumor class. Kingda Ka opened later in the day which was nice to ride as always. I really didn't see any work being done on Zumanjaro from the naked eye throughout the day.

It was hard to tell but I think that roof may have been fixed.

Flashback to 2005....

gallery_2_25_342226.jpg

Do you have a TR for that day or any more photos? Cant seem to find it if there is one.

Do you have a TR for that day or any more photos? Cant seem to find it if there is one.

Sure do have photos, but no Retro Trip Report yet for that visit.

gallery_2_35_585261.jpg

I've heard that the State is holding up Zumanjaro's opening from a few places now. The ride is ready to open, but the Ka launches while drop's are happening is an issue.

^^^^Said that a few posts ago. That may be an issue...The Ka tower sways during launch and decent...And causes enought back and forth action. that it may interfer with Zummanjaro...And we will be seeing one then the other launchs...

How many months of planning went into this decision to place multiple drop towers on Ka's spike, and no one questioned the safety of doing these drops with the trains launching? Or perhaps they did, since they were advertising this almost immediately after announcing their newest attraction. Corporate "must've" had conversations with state safety inspectors about all of this, or did they?

I can see it now...Do a drop cycle, launch a train, do a drop cycle, launch a train, etc, etc...I hope it doesn't come down to this since it would be super cool to have a train launching while you are ascending the spike, but if safety is the issue here, than I'm all for alternating launches with drop cycles...

Edited by Flyin Phil

The swaying adds to the terror! If they wait for each ride's cycle, lines will be super long! It's gonna be super loud in the Zumanjaro queue.

That would really suck if they had to alternate ride cycles. Dispatches are already slow enough, no need to slow them down even more. Well, maybe SF will be happy because they can sell more Flash Passes if the lines are longer.

When I first started reading this site and I had only went to GA once since my first time in 2007, I thought that most people on here were being negative nancys and complaining whenever they could. After going to GA more often, I have started to realize that many of the issues talked about here are true - poorly planned rides, rough crowds, line jumping, and understaffing just to mention some.

Rumor going around now is open july 3rd for SP holders and 4th to public. Please remember though these are nothing but rumors until the park posts otherwise.

ugggh...it WOULD be during a week day. If its true. Hopefully the season pass preview is an all day thing.

If it is, i could go after work! My job is like 10 minutes away!