GAcoaster

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

I wonder if the time it takes to load Zumanjaro, 2-3 kingda ka trains can launch?

Please post the Queue Lines cause recent Six Flags additions have had temp queue lines.

The queue is EXTRA long. Lets just say even when you are well into it, you realize you still have quite a ways to go! See below. It is easily the longest queue of any ride ever at Great Adventure.

gallery_2_25_219768.jpg

I wonder if the time it takes to load Zumanjaro, 2-3 kingda ka trains can launch?

That is about right. I am sure they will get a rythm down but it seemed they launched two Ka trains for every Zumanjaro load (in general).

Please post the Queue Lines cause recent Six Flags additions have had temp queue lines.

In the behind the scenes video I posted it has a clip of the very long queue.

People were turning around because they couldn't believe the queue was that long.

I think they eventually had security guards placed to inform people to keep going.

Well it's good to see it opened, also based on the pic 29yrs posted of the queue it looks like there's good landscaping and trees over there like I had hoped. The thing with Ka and ZDOD going separately and the retractable roof are completely ridiculous though.

Edited by RC98

They might want to consider going back to the 4 station set up for KK. Since they need to launch when Zumanjaro is down, they should load all 4 at once while Zumanjaro is running and launch them while Zumanjaro is loading. That would ensure that as many trains as possible were ready to go when they had the time.

The length of that queue looks long enough that you would need backpacking gear to get out there. Knowing how long it takes to walk Superman's queue, I can't imagine the hike to Zumanjaro.

^All of the rumors about the park trying to fight nj all make sense now especially since I read the retractable roof was mentioned after the fact.

Maybe things will change in the future. Is about 2-3 ka launches whole ZDOD unloads and loads then ka has to sit there until it gets back and the roof goes up.

When I was loading ka launches and boy did it shake even when it was in the station!

The single rider line works well. You actually go up the exit side of the path and then enter the single rider lane once you approach the covered queue section.

Wait, the roof moves everytime it's Kingda Ka's turn to launch? Zumanjaro is now (1) a waste of time, and (2) pointless to ride because part of the excitement is having the rollercoaster going while your on it. Once again the State of New Jersey messes up the park's plans because( sorry for the following) they have no balls and seem to want to lose money. Thanks to NJ for sucking even more. They delayed the opening of the ride and isn't letting the rides run how they are supposed to.

Edited by 29yrswithaGApass
Use captials and puctuation properly please.
  • Like 1

I just have to say...Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom is definitely one of the best drop tower experiences ever! I miss my freefall and this addition to the park was definitely worth the time and money spent creating this drop tower. I rode in gondola 1 (which is the one closest to Ka's drop). Our gondola was first to reach the magnetic breaks with the other two trailing close by. The moment the "roof" opens the cable cars lift you to your impending doom as you travel 415 ft into the air. Once the gondola is close to the top of the tower it starts to slow down and the cable cars lock in place. There is about a 3 second pause before you plummet 400 or so feet into the magnetic breaks.

I'm a huge fan of drop towers, especially Tower of Terror at Disney World, and Zumanjaro just hit it out of the park for me. I cannot wait to try Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom at Magic Mountain this year as well as Disneyland's version of Tower of Terror. I'll let you guys know how they compare!

Hopefully I get down there on Sunday. Glad to see it's finally open, and that those who have ridden it are speaking highly of the experience.

Here is the today's news release from the park:

Now Open: Six Flags Great Adventure Launches

Record-Breaking Drop Ride―Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom

World’s Largest Theme Park Debuts World’s Tallest and Fastest

Drop Ride on 40th Anniversary

JACKSON, NJJuly 4, 2014Six Flags Great Adventure today unveils this year’s most anticipated extreme ride, Zumanjaro: Drop of Doomthe world’s tallest and fastest drop ride. The launch commemorates the park’s opening weekend 40 years ago during the July 4th holiday.

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom stands a staggering 41 stories tall. Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster—the 45-story monster that ranks as the world’s tallest and fastest coaster—Zumanjaro hoists riders 415 feet into the sky and plummets them back to Earth at speeds of up to 90 miles per hour.

"Zumanjaro solidifies Six Flags’ dominance as the Northeast’s only destination for thrills. It is on every adrenaline junkies’ must-do list,” said John Fitzgerald, park president. “Zumanjaro is precisely the type of world-class, record-breaking attraction that our guests have come to expect from Great Adventure.”

Three soaring Zumanjaro towers stand on the face of the massive Kingda Ka coaster. Each drop tower features a gondola with eight riders. While anxious riders buckle into their floorless seats, Kingda Ka trains launch right toward them at speeds of up to 128 miles per hour.

The trio of gondolas rises to the top of the tower in approximately 30 seconds. Riders pause for a few terrifying moments 41 stories in the air—even higher than London’s Big Ben and twice as tall as Lady Liberty—allowing them to catch a glimpse of the skyscrapers in Philadelphia 52 miles to the southwest before gravity plunges them back to ground level in less than 10 seconds.

“Today strengthens the reputation of Six Flags as a trailblazer in providing innovative, cutting-edge entertainment for visitors of all ages, all while enhancing its legacy as one of the greatest theme park experiences anywhere in the world. We are thrilled that such an incredible venue is in New Jersey to provide unforgettable memories for so many visitors each and every year,” said New Jersey Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno.

The name “Zumanjaro” was inspired by the African influences of Safari Off Road Adventure, the attraction that combined Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari into the world’s largest theme park in 2013. Safari Off Road Adventure takes guests on an exhilarating, interactive and up-close journey that features 1,200 animals from six continents including elephants, rhinos, tigers, giraffes, lions, bison, kangaroos and more.

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom was recently named the No. 3 most thrilling ride in the U.S. according to USA Today.

For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/greatadventure or call 732/928-2000.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For 53 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions, including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest® and Holiday in the Park®. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com

# # #

This almost sounds like someone who is trying to "make nice" after starting an argument:

“Today strengthens the reputation of Six Flags as a trailblazer in providing innovative, cutting-edge entertainment for visitors of all ages, all while enhancing its legacy as one of the greatest theme park experiences anywhere in the world. We are thrilled that such an incredible venue is in New Jersey to provide unforgettable memories for so many visitors each and every year,” said New Jersey Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno.

I would like to read the report, before condemning the state outright. Park officials will never be candid with details, and we all know that management often makes bone head decisions all on their own. To me, the fact "Kingda Ka" can not launch at the same time as "Zumanjaro", seems like a sign of extremely poor planning by Six Flags, Great Adventure, and Intamin. For a project of this scale, you'd hope that all these factors would be taken into consideration BEFORE signing contracts. Great Adventure would have been better off building a Gyro Drop tower in "Frontier Adventures" IMO.

I wonder why they can't just install some sort of metal screen right under Ka's Track on the "top hat" on the top of the Tower. Anything that could fall from a Train, or a guest would be caught, or "deflected". Sort of like the netting under Nitro's lift hill, but more "heavy duty".

They might want to consider going back to the 4 station set up for KK. Since they need to launch when Zumanjaro is down, they should load all 4 at once while Zumanjaro is running and launch them while Zumanjaro is loading. That would ensure that as many trains as possible were ready to go when they had the time.

The length of that queue looks long enough that you would need backpacking gear to get out there. Knowing how long it takes to walk Superman's queue, I can't imagine the hike to Zumanjaro.

I don't think 4 stations will help much...they still have to wait.

The 1 station operation does seem to work much better than any of the older configurations, far fewer break downs.

I asked one of the employees while I was waiting and she confirmed that the state will not let them run together, so for every zumanjaro cycle, there are two ka cycles. When I ride ka, I saw the process clearly. They ran two trains (at the time, at least) and loaded and dispatched both of them to the launch, about which time Zumanjaro finished its cycle. I noticed almost no delay of the dispatching of Zumanjaro, and Ka's was minimal. They are certainly making the best of a bad situation.

Also, I used the single rider line both times I rode Zumanjaro, but I think I actually would have been better off on standby. The single rider line is shorter, but only moves in increments of about 3-8 people, while standby is closer to 18 each cycle. If anybody uses the single rider line, I suggest watching the last person in the standby line, to see if they ride before you.

^ That's interesting about the single rider line- I guess on crowded days when the standby is full it would save time but on a less crowded day standby is better?

Also it's good to hear that the separate dispatches aren't causing much delays.

Edited by RC98

Wait, the roof moves everytime it's Kingda Ka's turn to launch? Zumanjaro is now (1) a waste of time, and (2) pointless to ride because part of the excitement is having the rollercoaster going while your on it. Once again the State of New Jersey messes up the park's plans because( sorry for the following) they have no balls and seem to want to lose money. Thanks to NJ for sucking even more. They delayed the opening of the ride and isn't letting the rides run how they are supposed to.

Do you really think the ride isn't (won't be) exciting if the coaster isn't going over it? I thnk the drop tower is a thrilling experience with or without Ka.

Here are some interesting Zumanjaro Fun Facts. Source: Six Flags Great Adventure

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom Fact Sheet

What: World’s tallest and fastest drop ride

Height: 41.5 stories, 415 feet

Drop Speed: Up to 90 miles per hour
Lift Duration: 30 seconds

Drop Duration: Less than 10 seconds

Riders per Cycle: 24

Riders/Gondolas: Eight riders on three gondolas ascend simultaneously, but drop independently
Height Requirement: 48 inches

Location: Golden Kingdom, built on the face of Kingda Ka the world’s tallest and fastest coaster
Theming: African, inspired by the Safari Off Road Adventure that transformed Six Flags Great Adventure into the world’s largest theme park in 2013

Fun Facts:

• The name Zumanjaro has African influences Zumanjaro is 415 feet tall, taller than London’s Big Ben and twice as tall as Lady Liberty
  • Zumanjaro plummets back to Earth at speeds of 90 mph - as fast as a female cheetah stalking her prey
  • From the top of Zumanjaro on a clear day, you can see the skyscrapers of Philadelphia 52 miles away
  • Zumanjaro has 5551 feet of wire rope (cable) equal to 617 jump ropes
  • Zumanjaro has 2490 feet of guide rail (track) if laid end-to-end, is taller than the Eiffel Tower stacked on top of the Empire State Building
  • Construction crews added 226,226 lbs. of steel structural reinforcing columns to Kingda Ka to support Zumanjaro equal to the weight of 32 massive African elephants
  • Zumanjaro has 810 feet of linear magnetic brakes equal to the height of the Great Sphinx reclining on top of the Golden Gate Bridge
  • Zumanjaro has a 62,544 lb. hoist assembly (drum/ motor) to bring riders to the top of the tower - equal to the weight of approximately 500 car motors
  • The hoist (drum/winch) mechanism that operates Zumanjaro’s lift cable is a whopping 17-feet- wide by 9-foot-diameter - the size of a rental moving truck
  • There are 161 different kinds of bolts used to build Zumanjaro, and a grand total of 26,502 bolts throughout the entire ride