silvermom05

Rolling Thunder Removal Discussion

I am going to post this here out of respect for Harry's request. But make no mistake... many of us are not past the removal of Rolling Thunder.... my ten year old twins were crying about it as a matter of fact. never returning to the park has been discussed at my house.

Thanks Switlik. No doubt the removal is disappointing to some, especially those that called Rolling Thunder their first "big" coaster. I know it was my first wooden coaster and I thought it was the best thing at the time.

Thanks Switlik. No doubt the removal is disappointing to some, especially those that called Rolling Thunder their first "big" coaster. I know it was my first wooden coaster and I thought it was the best thing at the time.

If I didn't go on Rolling Thunder, I might have never gotten into roller coasters.

yea i now wish i had not followed what my dad said and gone on RT when we were there in 2012!

I am going to post this here out of respect for Harry's request. But make no mistake... many of us are not past the removal of Rolling Thunder.... my ten year old twins were crying about it as a matter of fact. never returning to the park has been discussed at my house.

man things are getting crazy

Edited by 29yrswithaGApass

This set me on the edge too, this removal has really pissed me off, and the fact that they closed it 2 1/2 weeks ago and still have not done anything to the ride. Remember when GASM closed, removal started IMMEDIATELY, the trains are still on the track, there is still power to the ride area. The only thing they did was put a bench in front of the entrance. If they ever remove RMT, log, wheel, carousel, round up, i don't know if ill even wan't to mention the park anymore. Sorry GA you used to be one of my favorite places, your spot in that is falling further down the line.

This set me on the edge too, this removal has really pissed me off, and the fact that they closed it 2 1/2 weeks ago and still have not done anything to the ride. Remember when GASM closed, removal started IMMEDIATELY, the trains are still on the track, there is still power to the ride area. The only thing they did was put a bench in front of the entrance. If they ever remove RMT, log, wheel, carousel, round up, i don't know if ill even wan't to mention the park anymore. Sorry GA you used to be one of my favorite places, your spot in that is falling further down the line.

I'm with you man. I really don't think the uproar over this one is going to settle anytime soon and, if it does, the park is likely be short some very loyal guests who otherwise would have been there for years to come. Out of respect for Harry, I've largely tried to shut up about this whole thing and hope that he is correct that there is some grand plan in place to really improve the park as a family friendly theme park. GA should be the "gold star standard" of, at the very least, Six Flags and it is not. I've said it before, and will say it again, there is no reason that the world's largest theme park, situated smack in the middle of the largest and fourth largest markets in the U.S., and no other (Non-Six Flags) theme park within 150 miles, is not drawing (at the very least) 3.0 million people annually. That is, of course, unless you've gone and allowed each of the theme parks in your chain to become so generic that a visit to any one is like visiting any other one. Six Flags seems to think that it's parks do not compete with one another when parks share the same outer markets, and that's a real misnomer for a management team that I find really lacking in not only understanding their guests, but their industry as well.

Edited by Daved Thomson

Well said, I know people think that they are taking the motors out first and everything, but really, I doubt that is the case. Even then, it wouldn't take this long and they should have started demolition already. It could still be open for FF, but nope, they go ahead and close it for no reason. It is just plain sad.

Unless there was a major undisclosed problem(which I doubt because sfga kept rolling thunder open and running for 10 days from the announcement) I see no reason shutting it down and letting it sit idle for the rest of the season. I would only hope that they are reconsidering their decision, possibly looking at other options with the zdod queue, and keep rt open. Again just hope...

And by the way I am still just as p@&&%d about rt removal as I was 3 weeks ago - I actually had a conversation with my wife about whether or not we should renew our season passes(we have 5 of them), this was never even a thought in prior years. If there was another waterpark closeby, the answer would be no. However, hh is very convenient, we go there often, so we are leaning to renew

And by the way I am still just as p@&&%d about rt removal as I was 3 weeks ago - I actually had a conversation with my wife about whether or not we should renew our season passes(we have 5 of them), this was never even a thought in prior years. If there was another waterpark closeby, the answer would be no. However, hh is very convenient, we go there often, so we are leaning to renew

I agree that hh is convenient. I mean, who wouldn't love having a waterpark right next to it, even though it should be included with admission, like most other hh. But I honestly don't even ike hh that much, I fell it is poorly run, and is just not a good waterpark. They also wasted a whole bunch of money with King Cobra, which is an awful ride. Just though I would throw that out there, I only went to hh twice this year.

Maybe they closed it because the seasonal employees left and they need what employees they do have elsewhere? I dont know but i'm sure there's a reason behind it. i would like to hope so anyway

My guess is that we will start to see removal of Rolling Thunder within the next couple weeks, since the park will be closed.

My guess is that we will start to see removal of Rolling Thunder within the next couple weeks, since the park will be closed.

i can safely say the removal has started...

If anyone that works at the park or has connections can get pictures, that would be great. Although sad to see them, I would be interested.

It would be nice if the park posted some pictures of the ride being removed but I don't think they will do that because of all the complaints they would get from people who are not happy about the ride being removed.

If anyone that works at the park or has connections can get pictures, that would be great. Although sad to see them, I would be interested.

if i knew 100% that photos would be allowed to be posted i could probably get some but until i know that, i wont be getting photos.

Saw a picture today of RT's removal, very sad to see all the debris from it.

I have this wood piece of Rolling Thunders yellow train i ripped off in anger on my last ride and a piece of the Twix ad, i didn't do any harm whats so ever to the structure of the car. Im just happy i have something.

gallery_2081_828_1447807.jpg