silvermom05

Rolling Thunder Removal Discussion

How much would you sell them for? And what pieces are they?

Hello everyone :) After reading this entire thread, I have a lot of mixed feelings about rolling thunder. Like most kids, it was my first rollercoaster and i loved every second of the ride. My dad would force me to face my fears and go on roller coasters I'd never go on. Now that it's coming down I'm extremely sad but I understand why. When I used to go to sfga with my friends they'd scoff at RT and say it hurt their neck and back. They'd say how tall and great el toro was compared to roller thunder and "why do they even have it anymore". My younger brother (8 years) would say "I thought the ride was going to break" after riding it. Whether or not sfga should be maintaining their rides better (which they should be) they weren't going to fix up RT anytime soon and to people who dont really care about history, it was just there. We just dont understand it because we love the history so much!

Other Six Flags have old woodies. What about SFNE with Thunderbolt from 1941, SFA has The Wild One from 1986, SFMM has Colossus from 1978, SFOG has The Great American Scream Machine from 1973, and I'm sure there are others, so Six Flags does have old wooden coasters at other parks

About 2 or 3 years ago six flags over georgia showed some love to both of there woodies with GASM receving a re tracking and the georgia cylclone getting topper track. this really has made the rides more enjoyable than they were in prevous seasons. This shows six flags has some care for old woodies. Mabe the park not beign completly owned by six flags has something to do ith it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, of course the fact that Georgia and Texas are not owned by Six Flags has a great deal to do with the upkeep and maintenance at those parks. By contract, Six Flags MUST reinvest specific percentages in each park each season for upkeep and maintenance that they do not have to (and clearly do not) put into their own, wholly owned parks.

I was not a very big fan of Rolling Thunder. However, I am still mad they would remove it for a pathway to a drop ride. I love roller coasters, and I have absolutely no problem riding them. However, rides such as Zumanjaro and Tower of Terror in WDW make me feel sick. Losing a ride that I would only come off of with little pain to a drop ride really stinks. I think Six Flags needs to pay attention to the undeveloped areas like Old Country, and leave areas that are in good condition alone. :dizzy:

I gotta be honest here, I don't think I have EVER had a "good ride" on Rolling Thunder. I'm not sad to see it go.

-ThemeParkReview

Old =/= classic. RT was poorly maintained (and pricey in that department), had consistently low ridership, and was a coaster with a relatively bad reputation. We tend to glorify it because we grew up riding it, but quite frankly it lasted about 5-10 years longer than it should have.

-GADV Online

Compared to Scream Machine, not too many people are that bummed about Rolling Thunder leaving. Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle. It may not have been my favorite ride, but I'll always miss riding RT on a particulary dead day.

Edited by MarioSonic94

While Rolling Thunder was quite a poor ride in its later years, all of its poor performance near the end of its life was a result of the fact that it was poorly maintained (like many other aspects of the park). There are obviously manner wooden coasters that are older than Rolling Thunder that are still operating (successfully) in the U.S., and I can't think of one that is maintained (through regular preventive maintenance) more poorly than Rolling Thunder.

That being said, for the younger members on here that did not get to experience Rolling Thunder within a few seasons of its 1979 introduction (particularly when trains were comprised of 5 cars instead of four), you really missed one of the better wooden coasters in the U.S. The air time was particularly good (left more so than right) and those trains flew on that track. If it rained, even better because those rails were well lubricated back then. You could literally feel the cars leaving the track in spots and it was not uncommon to see trains fly through the station with the brakes doing little in an attempt to stop the trains. That's the Rolling Thunder that will be missed, sadly! Not the Rolling Thunder that was just demolished, with so much screeching and banging, and friction that you really did wonder if the train had enough speed to make it back to the station. Did you have what it took to weather the storm? Or did you have to deal with a drizzle?

That's the Rolling Thunder that will be missed, sadly! Not the Rolling Thunder that was just demolished, with so much screeching and banging, and friction that you really did wonder if the train had enough speed to make it back to the station.

Wow, this is exactly how I feel. Very well put!

Riding RT in these past few seasons I would still expect the fun, smooth ride that I experienced as a child. And each season I would just become more disappointed about the ride. I think I started missing RT as soon as I noticed it feeling shabby (and when they stopped playing Loony Tunes while on line LOL). It just wasn't the same ride.

I will miss it as a classic to the park. As far as "classic" woodies go, rolling thunder does not fit in that category. I think of older coasters like the cyclone at six flags new england and all the woodies at kennywood. The comet at Hershey park. They were all built like in the 30s and 40s and had a better ride than rolling thunder. For some reason, coasters built in the 70s weren't built as well as the older ones. There are some exceptions though

To me RT would be a classic woodie. To me newer ones are the ones from CCI, GCI, Gravity Group, RMC, etc. I don't think RT's ride experience had anything to do with when it was built, it was more due to the way Six Flags maintained it (or didn't). The lack of maintenance (track work, updating the braking system, etc.) and leaving one side closed most of the time were what led it to be how it was towards the end.

"I'd still burn down Rolling Thunder and piss on it's ashes without even weeping a tear."

You would think that this comment was from some 12 year old kid from a Rolling Thunder video. But this comment was from Robb Alvey, probably the most pathetic excuse for a human being, let alone a coaster enthusast.

Considering how he's made several tasteless comments about the Jersey Shore's coasters being destroyed by Superstorm Sandy, I really shouldn't have acted all surprised about what the manchild had to say about Rolling Thunder.

Edited by MarioSonic94

^ I thought I saw someone say they were getting rid of the station too, but I could be wrong.

I will miss it as a classic to the park. As far as "classic" woodies go, rolling thunder does not fit in that category. I think of older coasters like the cyclone at six flags new england and all the woodies at kennywood. The comet at Hershey park. They were all built like in the 30s and 40s and had a better ride than rolling thunder. For some reason, coasters built in the 70s weren't built as well as the older ones. There are some exceptions though

But it is close to classic, so it is still not acceptable, and many people including me consider it a classic. It is old enough (i think) to be a classic.

But it is close to classic, so it is still not acceptable, and many people including me consider it a classic. It is old enough (i think) to be a classic.

RT-as well as most coasters from the 70's-should be considered a MODERN classic,meaning it was built in the 70's during the "renaissance era" started by KI's Racer,yet still had hallmarks of the "old school" rides(airtime hills,skid brakes,LAPBARS ONLY).

On this day last year was the first time I ever rode Rolling Thunder in the green car and after I rode it 8 more times and had rode in each car, The Very Last Time I rode Rolling Thunder was on September 7th at about 7:30 about the same time as the first time I rode it in the blue car with my cousin's husband. I was upset in November when I found out they took down my Favorite Ride

I have memories and a card board model to remember

RIP to Rolling Thunder.

Edited by GA Rolling Thunder