silvermom05

Petition to keep ROLLING THUNDER ROLLING!

and to me, getting sentimental over a roller coaster is normal.

you often seem to miss the point or blatantly mischaracterize.... Why are some coasters designated historic landmarks by ACEif it was not important? I think rolling thunder is nj's oldest wooden coaster, that means something

If you read the comments on the petition a lot of people are pissed off. Mark my words this will have longstanding ramifications, the petition will never go away. At some point the press will ask about it.

you often seem to miss the point or blatantly mischaracterize.... Why are some coasters designated historic landmarks by ACEif it was not important? I think rolling thunder is nj's oldest wooden coaster, that means something

If you read the comments on the petition a lot of people are pissed off. Mark my words this will have longstanding ramifications, the petition will never go away. At some point the press will ask about it.

i am saying getting sad about a rollercoaster is fine and always do it when they leave.

RT leaving doesn't make the park better. I know why they did it(but can't share unfortunately), but while the park may get something there in a few years, the park has taken a hit for the present.

You're young(as am I), you don't have the experience that most of the members here have with it. You can't truly know what they're feeling unless you've had the experiences with this ride that they have.

Edited by DiveMachine

Thanks Kara for your efforts. I have noticed a definite disconnect with Six Flags and the business they are in. It is all about the bottom line and reducing costs. Well in that battle, I see a Cedar Fair with a focused vision that may become the world's largest regional theme park. I worked many summers at Six Flags over Mid America. Gladly they aren't bulldozing any old wooden coasters there yet.

Add Rolling Thunder to the list of areas at Six Flags Great Adventure that aren't being used. It's funny how they won't remove any coasters at SFMM to hold their record, but reducing rides here is OK. It's not like they don't have lines at the park either. Oh yeah more Flash Pass sales. Thats 2 rides that are lost with the addition of a low throughput drop tower. More lines. That's something the GP is definitely asking for. I've heard all kinds of great comments about the safari and 3 hour waits. But that's another thread.

The park looks more run down every year. I'm sure their maintenance budget is at an all time low. If I had to guess this is what really led to the fate of Rolling Thunder. They don't want to drop the money it takes to maintain a wooden coaster. I wouldn't expect to see another wooden coaster unless it is as cheap to maintain as El Toro.

Maybe that is in the longer range plans and we will see a RMC coaster in Rolling Thunders spot, but that is too much like El Toro. Not a chance.

We are losing something that won't come back. Many memories and history are lost. I'll remember it like it was. It could have been so much fun if maintained properly.

Jon

RT leaving doesn't make the park better. I know why they did it(but can't share unfortunately), but while the park may get something there in a few years, the park has taken a hit for the present.

You're young(as am I), you don't have the experience that most of the members here have with it. You can't truly know what they're feeling unless you've had the experiences with this ride that they have.

can you message me why? future ride? undafe? i will feel better if i know the true reason.

No, I can't. And once again, you're missing the point of the post. And you seem to be feeling just fine.

Edited by DiveMachine

Dear Friends of ROLLING THUNDER,
I am writing to thank you all for your support in signing our petition to keep Rolling Thunder rolling. Unfortunately it seems that we have lost the fight. While 500+ signatures is something I am very proud of, it really isn’t enough to convince Six Flags to change their mind about their crappy decision. If only we had more time…nonetheless I am happy that we tried.
I tried to make phone contact with Six Flags all week—every time I mentioned the words “Rolling Thunder” I was either put on hold indefinitely, transferred to a generic voicemail or hung up on completely. I tried calling Great Adventure and also both corporate offices: in NY and TX and got similar responses. Finally a woman named Margaret in the Six Flags Great Adventure guest relations was chosen to return my inquiries—a very bad choice on their part. Speaking with Margaret was a revelation. Some of the things she said which will stay with me were "I can't imagine how anyone could get sentimental about a roller coaster" and also "Six Flags is only in business to make money.” She was very patronizing to me and told me that ALL businesses feel this way, which I absolutely refuse to accept. Margaret would not let me speak with anyone higher up (her superiors were all conveniently on vacation or sick leave) and eventually hung up on me. Apparently, Great Adventure’s old slogan “We care about you” no longer applies. She also said that their minds are made up and there is nothing that can be done—that they are eagerly waiting to knock Rolling Thunder down Monday morning. This is very disappointing for me to see the true colors of Six Flag Great Adventure and its unwillingness to listen to opinions of their long-time customers. How sad.
I was interviewed by the Asbury Park Press today so check in—there could be a story about us and our efforts in their publication. www.app.com
So again, thank you all for everything you all have done. If you can, get out there today and make your last wonderful memories on Rolling Thunder before it is gone forever—bring the tissues and have a good cleansing cry. I will continue to enjoy visiting this wonderful website to remember Rolling Thunder, the old Great Adventure, as it slowly seems to be disappearing. Keep all the good memories in your heart! God bless everyone and “enjoy your ride”.
Love,
Kara

Kara:

Everything we have been saying about Six Flags and current management of Great Adventure, are sadly, very true. Of course any business needs to make money, but again, sadly, this company and current management are too ignorant to understand that truly successful businesses know that you make money when you are not running the business only to make money.

The real successes in the theme park industry (Disney) aren't the most successful because they're trying to make money. They're successful because they put their heart and sole into delivering a first class, unbeatable, guest experience via employees who truly care about "the show" and what the guest thinks of them when they leave. They know, without a doubt, that when you deliver on your promises and provide the market what it wants, guests willingly return time after time. Sadly, I have to believe that Six Flags also knows they are a dismal failure relative to the experience of their guests and, therefore, does everything they can to suck as much money out of every person that walks through their gates because it's unlikely they'll get the same opportunity to do so repeatedly. They have no problem with the concept of over promise and under deliver. And, to think that they don't even have the courtesy or respect for their long-term guests to return a phone call, again, shows that they are a clueless bunch of people caring only about their next paycheck. I, too, called the park three times this week asking, specifically, to speak with John Fitzgerald (or whoever is currently in command at the park), but only reached a general voicemail. Like yourself, none of my calls were returned. Again, pathetic.

Quite frankly, as loyal as I am to GA, my loyalty is actually to the GA that no longer exists. I'll take my money else ware knowing that I'll get far more out of my experience for what I pay, won't have to worry about obnoxious teens running amuck throughout the park and know that I'll be able to experience at least 75% of the park's offerings together with other family members. Family and Great Adventure just shouldn't be used together in the same sentence.

I've used the word "sad" too many times, but it really is the best descriptor for all that has happened to this park.

Daved--

Wow...You said absolutely everything I am feeling in my heart. It is comforting to know that others completely understand. I too asked for John Fitzgerald all week and was given the disrespect of being sent to a voicemail every time I mentioned the words "Rolling Thunder" or "John Fitzgerald." I don't deserve that treatment after patronizing Great Adventure for 37 years! And I definitely did not deserve the bitchy attitude of Margaret--why they chose her to call me back I will never know. All I wanted is to talk with someone to express our collective opinion and to ask why this was decided. My mom said I should have called pretending that my business wanted to make a sizable donation to the park--then perhaps I would have been able to talk to someone in charge.

Your sentence about being loyal to the GA that no longer exists brought a tear to my eye. Well, we do have this beautiful website that celebrates the glory of GA in the past--thank you to everyone here at greatadventurehistory.com who takes the time to make this website special--you are amazing and I will always be grateful for you!

Also....I have actually never been to Disney--maybe it is time to try it!

Kara... I have worked at GA in marketing research as well as Magic Mountain marketing research and Disneyland Resort marketing and guest research. In the mid-90s I almost took a position in guest research at Walt Disney World, but I had no desire to live in Florida.

The entire concept of theme parks is that they're supposed to provide a means of escape from the real world. Making fantasy and escape come to life in an environment where parents and children can enjoy the same experiences together was the reason that Walt Disney built Disneyland. And, because he didn't like all the commercial development outside of Disneyland's gates that hindered the park's ability to grow while maintaining that feeling of escape within the park, he bought the more than 24,000 acres that would one day become Walt Disney World. At WDW, everything, including the government, freeways, development of any kind, are all controlled by Walt Disney World. The park maintains total control over the guest experience both within its theme parks as well as anywhere on "the property" for both guests and non-guests. You really are in another world when on their property and they understand that even the slightest deviation from "the show," can create an unpleasant reminder of the real world for guests.

If you have never been to a Disney park, you really haven't experienced a true theme park and I really think you'd realize after visiting, that Great Adventure can, and should be so much better than it is! While I only experienced Great Adventure for the first time in 1977, long after Warner LeRoys departure, personally, the park has always had a magical feel to it that I really never fealt in any other park. It is not Disney magic, it was a magic unique to Great Adventure with or without Warner LeRoy. Again, though, it is so sad to see how this park is being driven into the ground, and it really is the result of mis-management over the years. Management, now, however, really has to be the worst in the park's history and, although I don't like even thinking it, I'm sure that the park can not operate at a profit with the attendance levels they have garnered since 1996. I'm now at the point that given the inept management, if it continues on its current path, I seriously doubt we'll have Great Adventure in any form in 2023. Again, very sad.

co-workers for six flags are extremely rude, compared to cedar fairs and disney. I was so disappointed when i was reading this forum. Every guest at that park- especially the loyal, hard-core fans that would give their life for the park- deserves respect. I dont understand why John or Kristin didnt want to explain the reasons of getting rid of rolling thunder. I hope future developments make up for this senseless decision.

Great Adventure is many things to many poeple. I to am disapointed in many of their decissions and changes to the park over the years. As many here will tell you I worked as a host, and character on Dream Street from day one of park openning. And to see something magical and grand reduced to Amusment Park level...Some one pass me a kleenx. Thank you. YOur both correct. But looking at it from a cast members level we worked hard to make it work..To take the understanding that if we didnt make them feel welcomed then we failed. We were the first encounter and the last to say good night as they left. It was up to us to create the magic and spectical and be part of the show that was created. I know this sounds very Disney but its the truth. I to tried to express concern at guest relations on my visit ..I might as well have talked to the old lion in the bone yard...As I stated that ws my last trip there...and I dont see my self returning anytime soon...If all my years of employment, seasons pass holder and full price guest...Someone should at leat have appeard interested...So you see your not alone..

I am in line for my last ride on rolling thunder, got my two older kids with me, beautiful weather. Wish it want the last ride, but a good way to remember it if it is.

Enjoy your last ride sfglocal! I rode RT last Sunday with my two older boys (8 and 6yrs old) 11 times in a row! I was very, very tearful--the ride operators thought I was insane. But it was the best memory that I have made yet on that ride so was a great way to say goodbye. Enjoy your last ride!

I am in line for my last ride on rolling thunder, got my two older kids with me, beautiful weather. Wish it want the last ride, but a good way to remember it if it is.

have fun on your last ride! make it count! i will miss rolling thunder next year. how long is the wait?

I just came back from the park with my wife and 2 daughters. We had our last ride on Rolling Thunder at 5:05. We all loved it and will miss it.

I stood in line wondering if anyone from the forums was on line with us or maybe in our train. Looks like we missed you sfgalocal by about two hours.

Officially done. Sad day when it is never opening again, I'm sure tomorrow they will already start taking it apart.