Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Photo Trip Report: November 3rd, 2013

It's sad seeing the trains to Rolling Thunder in the parking lot.

I agree it's sad to see the trains like that.

It must have been cool to take a shuttle bus through the theme park to the Safari loading area.

I keep hoping each year they will consider opening up even a limited amount of rides for this event. Even if season passes didn't work for admission, I'd be willing to go to the park just if a section of the park like Nitro, Batman, Skull Mountain, The Dark Knight and Adventure Alley were open.

Edited by Yoshi

Id love to have one of thunders trains lol, but do you think they are keeping the front panel of the blue train to auction off or keep somewhere in the park?

Omg what a sad site to see RT trains all taken apart and sitting in the parking lot ready to be junked. And to see the demolition of the track....ballz to you GA :*(

Guest Moonracker7

Do you think that they would have saved any of the track for the baboons to play with, or do you think they made a bomb fire out of it all (nothing remains of ride)?

A Bonfire** you mean? I doubt it, they scrapped the ride. they don't usually gather around a campfire with the parts. :tt2:

LOL now I'm picturing the demolition workers roasting marshmallows on site after RT was removed! :rolllaf:

This actually brings up a good question though: where did all the parts from RT go? Maybe it's possible that they may have saved a lift motor or some other salvageable part to use on another coaster at another park like GASM's blue train ended up at SFOG?

I am sure the lift motor and the chains and other hardware would be used as spare parts for other older wooden coasters built by SF themselves.

You were on to something though- they actually did leave a part of one of Scream Machine's loops for the baboons to climb on, a picture is in the Scream Machine spotlight.

Edited by RC98

There is a difference, a steel coaster is welded, fused into one piece. Wood coasters are just bolted and nailed together and so are not a single piece like steel track. Steel track you can cut up in sections and each section would still be very strong. Remove a section of wooden track section from it's supports and it would be flimsy and weak. Wood can just be smashed down, thick steel has to be cut and is easier to recycle than wood.