Sign in to follow this  
The Master

Dorney Park’s new Snake Pit for 2014

https://www.dorneypark.com/what-s-new/snake-pit-new-for-2014

Dorney Park's Wild Water Kingdon will be getting a new water slide tower for 2014 called the snake pit. A 65 foot tall tower with 6 water slides. Two Python Plummet drop pod, 450 foot long, speed slides at the top level. Two Boa Blaster tube slides and the Constrictor tube slide which is enclosed with extremely tight banked turns.

Of the three I think the Constrictor sounds the most interesting, just don't care for speed slides. The Boa Blasters sound like they will fill the role of the long gone Torpedo Tube slides. I still want to see one of the local waterparks to get a boomerango slide.

I am looking forward to Python Plummet. I went on a slide with those drop box type of things in Virginia and it was awesome. I remember Great Adventure was going to get drop boxes for the speed slides but instead got King Cobra.

I'm looking forward to trying the Constrictor slides the most and hope that they allow or are single innertube slides. The only bad thing is I am expecting the slides to have Fast Lane since Worlds of Fun got the same complex last year and they have Fast Lane and the queues will probably be built for it. I still need to renew my Dorney pass, it used to be that it was $25 - $30 cheaper than a Great Adventure pass with season pass parking, now Dorney is more expensive than the Great Adventure Gold pass.

Kings Island really could use a new slide complex like this. Our last water park additions were

2012- Wave Pool2
2004- Bowl & Mat Racer
1997- Surf Machine & Wave Pool1
1989- Rest of the slides

I just heard they are going to remove Riptide for this which really sucks. It is a old style, in ground, terrain slide built on a hill. A unusually slide for these days. Now I am not looking forward to Snakepit like I was since they are ripping out a classic. I thought it was going to replace the old speed slides. There must be a way just have the Snake Pit tower over Riptide so they both could operate like with the Cascade tower.

Edited by The Master

The original rumor was Island Water Works and Speed Slides were going but they changed it to Riptide Run. I liked how Riptide Run was really high capacity and never had much of a line but when it was crowded, it was annoying being in between the slides and trying to paddle your tube over to the next slide while every else is trying to do the same thing.

I learned how to catch and stay in the currents and blow by the people trying to paddle. It was a waterslide that required some skill which was neat.But it was supposed to be a slow slide that takes awhile unlike most slides that are done in a second or two. A hybrid between a river and a slide, sort of like Sky Pond at Raging Waters. I think River Country also had a slide that was a series of pools like Riptide. It is sad they are taking it out since Riptide is a old style water slide they just don't build anymore which made it special. It was also nice being a terrain slide it didn't have a tower or flights of steps to climb up.

I think one of the reasons Riptide is being taken out is because it takes alot more lifeguards to operate than most slides. Most waterslides only need one or two lifeguards to run.

I forgot that they were getting rid of riptide run. That is upsetting cause it was actually my favorite slide there. I never thought they had anything special at the water park except for that, hopefully the new ones don't disappoint.

It was one of my favorites too, old school waterpark like River Country.

Here is a link to some construction photos. http://www.coasteroftheday.com/4/post/2014/02/dorney-park-snake-pit-construction-update.html

Looks like Riptide Run is no more, RIP Riptide Run. It is sad they are removing so much original stuff from 1985, Riptide, the old drop slides tower and pool, Torpedo tube's old pool, and the lillypads. So much original WWK now gone. Looking at the map, if they just changed the design of Snake Pit a little they easily could have kept Riptide. Since it used alot of life guards like a river is why they probably didn't want to. Riptide needed alot of staff for a water slide.

Personally, I think it would have been better to just replace the old Speed slides with a Boomerango slide. They still make speed slides and are still very common. Now they will have two sets of Speed slides. Multi pool slides are not common anymore. I just hate seeing unique things replaced with cookie cutters.

But I won't judge the new slides until I try them in May or June when I can slide them. Just seems like both WWK and HH are getting more screwed up every year.

I agree about replacing the old Speed Slides would have been better. It seems like it is the least popular slide complex in WWK. It was closed on slow days a few times last year when I was there. I remember on a Friday in August I think in 2012, WWK was jammed and all the slides had long waits except Speed Slides that had less than a 5 minute wait since most people don't want to ride them especially more than once.

Not related to Snake Pit but it was also announced for 2014 passholders can get into Dinosaurs Alive for free. I have never been there since I was ok with just looking at the "sample" dinosaurs that were placed all over the park but I'll probably check it out this year.

Even the speed slides at HH are not nearly as popular or crowded as the other slides. A boomerango slide would fit well where the old speed slides are in WWK.

7495423244_d48e6eb62f_b.jpg

Of course in order to fit it would have to end in a tray which they can do such as the one at the Orlando Coco Kay.

Edited by The Master

That slide looks fun! I would like to see that in WWK. It sort of looks like a variation of our King Cobra slide that should be able to accommodate more riders.

Yeah that slide does look cool. I would take that over the speed slides any day.

They are getting Fast Lane Plus this year which unfortunately includes some slides in WWK. Snake Pit, Aqua Blast, Aqua Racer and both lazy rivers plus Screaming Swing (free) are all on Fast Lane plus. I wonder if more people are going to buy Fast Lane now since for the ride side it is worthless most days because the lines generally are very short.

That sucks, it will probably make wait times alot worse like with HH. Especially with them cutting capacity for the one river for the last couple of years. At least it won't be every slide like HH, but it will make getting on the rivers a PITA without a fastlane. The rivers were a PITA before with the lack of tubes and reducing the loading area from 3 stairs to 1.

Edited by The Master