• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

29yrswithaGApass

GAH ideas for Great Adventure's 40th?

This summer Great Adventure will be celebrating its 40th Anniversay and we would like to do something special here on GreatAdventureHistory.com but the question is what?

If you have any ideas, we would love to hear them so reply to this topic and drop us a few suggestions. Here are some initial thoughts....

- Update older Spotlights like the recent Sky Ride Spotlight upgrade enhancing them with additional photos and information obtained over the past several years.

- Update the Initial Construction Spotlights with an additional 100+ photos we have acquired of the park being built in 1974.

- Publish the remaining Spotlights from the park's first few seasons like the Great Arena and Aqua Spectacle.

- Over the course of the summer publish the remaining Yearbook Spotlights from 1985 to 2014.

- ???

Any preferences or ideas?

I think that you guys should re- do the spotlights of at-lest the remaining rides, attractions from 74. If doing all the yearbooks to today is too hard, do the 72-73 ones of construction. I think publishing the remaining original attractions would be amazing, kind of completing the first chapter spotlight wise. Maybe one of us could make a pamphlet of some sort with sections of each decade, pictures, logos (GAH logo too) and have a page of names from all the people who have contributed to this amazing website!

Personally, I would really like to see those 100+ pictures you have of the initial park construction.

Tours of the Park in 1984, 1994, 2004, and 2014 (Mainly celebrating the parks 10th, 20th, 30th, and 40th)

And Hotels that were planned but never built.

How about one of the cast uniforms from the openning year? I do belive that there are pics and sketches of them, seeing how they were designed by a boradway tony award winning designer.

^ Those are harder to track down than you may think!

We are working on a couple of things for the 40th. One is traditional (a Spotlight) and one is something totally new!

Yeah, and I think people are going to be REALLY impressed since we are doing something that will bring so many things together! :)

If you were going to update spotlights, I'd suggest a bit of an odd choice in updating a majority of the rides and attractions relating to Adventure Rivers, like the Hydro Flume and wet-dry slide complexes, and definitely the section's own spotlight.

That last part also leads me to my second suggestion of creating more spotlights of the various themed sections throughout the park's history; Liberty Court/Main Street, the Old Country, Hernando's Hide-a-way, and Bugs Bunny Land (My personal pick for the first, seeing as it underwent one of the most dramatic transformations, if not the biggest, in the parks history for a themed section) being the big ones.

We have been holding off on the themed sections spotlights simply because we have to do ALL the spotlights for the rides, shows, shops, restaurants, restrooms, etc for each section before we can put it together. We do have a plan to do it all over time, it just takes some time to sort the photos and write up text about them all. Another part of the problem is a lack of photos for some things. No one ever thought to take pictures of it all, especially when it used to cost so much to buy film and then develop it. People only usually took photos of people or BIG things, so we have to keep looking at every picture to see what's in the background.

If you were going to update spotlights, I'd suggest a bit of an odd choice in updating a majority of the rides and attractions relating to Adventure Rivers, like the Hydro Flume and wet-dry slide complexes, and definitely the section's own spotlight.

Yes, the Adventure Rivers spotlights are some of the first ones we did way back in 2007. Since then we have compiled a ton of additional photos including construction shots of all the slides (and Rapids and Hyrdro Flume too). Those are on our radar for updates.

Your pics on all the attractions are awesome, but unless ive missed them, do you(or can you) post pics of the rides control panels and computer stuff? that's very cool stuff, and things you cant see. just a thought.