DANofNJ

Line Cutting

I second this. It was very, very crowded when I went to KD, but yet they still managed to dispatch very quickly and efficiently, and the crowd was noticeably better than your typical Gadv crowd- no vandalism especially, which you can see virtually everywhere in Gadv. Perhaps it is indeed the New York and Philly combination that brings such rude people to the park.

It's without a doubt the location of Great Adventure. I would imagine Sesame Place is bad too since there's easy access from Philly. I've never experienced problems at other parks like King's Island, King's Dominion, Busch Gardens. Their prices seem to be higher than Great Adventure and it seems to me that they offer less deals too. Hershey has always been expensive and I have never been there when it wasn't mobbed but i always go in summer time so thats probably why. If they increase the price, then they need to step it up.

Also, it seems Six Flags has presented itself as the "cool" place to go for teens for rides in NJ, and it worked a bit too much. Most of the kids at my school go there and a lot of them are, let's just say, "like the people you described" XD. Many of the stupid things I see people do there would only be done by people of that type...

its more the location. I don't consider my self to be in "lower class" I have a great paying job and I am respectful human being but raising the price only works to a point. Even I draw the line at some point on what Id pay to go there. I rather just spend the extra time and take the trip to Dorney and Hershey. Just better parks overall in my opinion.

As far as Hershey goes I usually go during the week and this past August I went on a Saturday just because I was staying in the area. The park was CRAZY packed, but that was to be expected. But everyone was over the top respectful of one another.

Dorney is usually a week day trip for me and every time I go I never wait more then 30 mins for a ride and that's waiting for front row

Hershey is definitely more expensive and I am sure that it prices out some of the trash that GA gets. However, that is also location and the fact that they are more of a destination resort. If there are teenagers on a family vacation in the park, they will probably be well behaved as their parents are around. If the parents are nowhere to be seen, then the bad behavior starts. Like has been mentioned, GA is sort of the teen hangout spot for the area. That is not necessarily a bad thing as Action Park is similar to the town I live in. However, for some reason it seems to cause rough crowds at GA while that doesn't happen at Action Park. If the pass price was raised to like 90-100 dollars at GA which is still less than a Cedar Fair pass, it would probably have a positive effect on the crowds in the park.

I have a couple of points on this topic.

1. I do not think raising the cost of season passes will help it that much. Its just the crowd this kind of park appeals to. It has become more of a "Thrill Park" than a family oriented place.

2. Another thing you have to realize is a lot of the undesired crowds you see are from summer camps. most of these kids get a season pass from the camp anyway, so the price change wouldn't rule out these kids either.

3. To be completely honest, and I don't want to be mean, the security at six flags could not really protect against fighting and line cutting. I have seen instances where security guards are thrown to the ground by park guests who broke the rules.

4. Also if six flags wanted to stop a large amount of line cutting, they need to remap their ques. There are plenty of spots, even as a non line cutter, that i have noticed, which would make it super easy to cut lines. probably the worst one in my opinion, which i wont describe here because i don't want to give anyone ideas, is by el toro. There is a way to literally get into the loading area, while bypassing the entire line.

Lastly, the only people I ever let cut in line are groups of small children from camps/schools. They are required to stay together and when a camp counselor or teacher is with one or two kids who for example went to the bathroom when everyone else got on the line, and it is only going o make a five minute difference or so, then i will allow it. I only do this for kids who are young though. i would never do this for a high-school student or even a middle school student. The real reason i let these children with their chaperones cut is because i too have been in that situation.

I know where that area is at El Toro. You can walk up a path which goes near the stairs into the station. The Flash Pass merge point is set really far away from this area so it could be possible to jump a barrier and skip the line without the Flash Pass employee noticing. I think there's an area on Kingda Ka where this can be done as well.

I have a couple of points on this topic.

1. I do not think raising the cost of season passes will help it that much. Its just the crowd this kind of park appeals to. It has become more of a "Thrill Park" than a family oriented place.

2. Another thing you have to realize is a lot of the undesired crowds you see are from summer camps. most of these kids get a season pass from the camp anyway, so the price change wouldn't rule out these kids either.

3. To be completely honest, and I don't want to be mean, the security at six flags could not really protect against fighting and line cutting. I have seen instances where security guards are thrown to the ground by park guests who broke the rules.

Number 3 would not happen easily at Dorney, their guards get the same trainning PA state troopers have, plus some of Dorney's guards are armed with handguns. Most of them seem to have batons, mace, and handcuffs. Even GADV's choice of patrol cars is poor, hybrids are ill suited for patrol duty but they present a false "green" image. Sadly I think GADV is more concerned with having security theater than real security as real security is mainly invisible.

• Like 1

I know this is a really old thread, but I just found it now as I was looking to see other people's experiences with the line cutters who say "I gotta meet up with my friends."  I'm glad to see that there are at least some other people out there who refuse to let them cut. 

I dealt with several of them on a recent trip to the park.  They act as if I'm being unreasonable because I won't let them cut the line to be with their friends.  I tell just tell them, "No.  If you want to ride with your friends, tell your friends to come back here."   Then I put my arms across the cue and won't budge for them.  They sometimes manage to find another way around, which is annoying, but at least I make them work for it, which gives me some satisfaction.  

Typically, if we JUST got into line and they are going in front of like 5 people, I'll let them go through but my past visit, Nitro had about a 20 minute line and a group of people said "our friend is up there" and continued cutting the line until they got into the station.