• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

29yrswithaGApass

GA Mystery Photos & Trivia

QUESTION #448: When Batman The Ride opened in 1993, a concrete marker and plaque was positioned inside the front "park" portion of the queue as a memorial tribute. Whose name was on the memorial? (It was not anyone associated with any prior incidents at the park.)

Shot in the dark... Neil Hamilton (Commissioner Gordon on the TV series).

ANSWER: A memorial to Steven J. Ross was placed in the Batman The Ride queue near the fountain area. Ross was the CEO of Time Warner and he died in December 1992 just prior the ride opening the following spring.

gallery_2_356_644190.jpg

QUESTION #449:  True or False:  For Six Flags' first season, Great Adventure added Lightnin' Loops in 1978.  However, the ride was planned before Six Flags took over operations but just as a single loop attraction and not two interlocking loops.

The wording here is tricky.  I’m going to say this is False.  From what I’ve been able to discern is that the ride, while it was to have been called “The Loop” (prior to the Six Flags takeover) plans, drawings, and the scale model included interlocking loops from the outset.  The plural Lightnin’ Loops name came with Six Flags despite drawings and references to interlocking loops and initial names like The Loop and The Double Header Loop. 

Edited by Daved Thomson

I'm going to go with True.  I'm not the Six Flags chain historion here, but I believe this is really unique to Six Flags standards.  I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of the ride was planned before, even without the interlocking loops.

I did talk to the owner of Jackson Hobby Shop many years ago and he told me  that he built the Lightning Loops model in 1977 with the 2 loops.  I was buying HO scale carnival ride models at the time.  The wording does sound like a trick question.

21 minutes ago, honda rider said:

I did talk to the owner of Jackson Hobby Shop many years ago and he told me  that he built the Lightning Loops model in 1977 with the 2 loops.  I was buying HO scale carnival ride models at the time.  The wording does sound like a trick question.

Not sure if you saw this spotlight on the Lightnin' Loops model.  Maybe he made his own version of it?