GA Mystery Photos & Trivia

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shouldn't it be against the rules for all rides, for health reasons? You know, girls have cooties.

Six Flags Great Adventure?

Nobody got this one!   ANSWER: In 1996 for Fright Fest, cars from the Great American Scream Machine were placed on Skull Mountain's tracks.   But here is the trick - it was the bodies from severa

Hooray!!! :clap: Yes Paddleboats!!!

All we need now is the ride that is still at the park. If you think about all the rides in the park it should be sort of obvious.

:D Yea, first Goodtime Alley game correct (or half correct). It acctually could be the Carousel, dont want any "heavy" people breaking one of those antique horses lol. :Z48:

Anyway, it could be the Buccaneer. If there is too much weight on one side, it may not operate correctly.

QUESTION #105: In which direction did the trains of the Great Train Ride travel around its loop of track? Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, or both Clockwise and Counter-clockwise

I know for sure it traveled counter-clockwise, but I am guessing that it traveled both clockwise and counter-clockwise rotating seasons.

ANSWER: The correct answer is "both"! The trains traveled clockwise and counter-clockwise around the track. We believe the direction was switched each season. There were very few, if any, props along the rails so the direction of travel didn't alter any storyline associated with the attraction. The Great Train Ride was primarily a scenic railway.

The below image shows trains at the station facing in both directions. We have film footage of the trains arriving and departing the station which we will share when we do the Great Train Spotlight.

gallery_2_65_187112.jpg

ANSWER: The correct answer is "both"! The trains traveled clockwise and counter-clockwise around the track. We believe the direction was switched each season. There were very few, if any, props along the rails so the direction of travel didn't alter any storyline associated with the attraction. The Great Train Ride was primarily a scenic railway.

The below image shows trains at the station facing in both directions. We have film footage of the trains arriving and departing the station which we will share when we do the Great Train Spotlight.

gallery_2_65_187112.jpg

The second picture of the train is very interesting in that I do not ever recall the passenger cars being covered. The actual engine I recall seeing far more often than the engine in the first picture.

Personally, I would really like to see a family attraction along these lines brought back to the park. The funny thing, though, is that I never road The Great Train at GA but did ride the trains at virtually every other theme park I went to back in the '70s and '80s.

The second picture of the train is very interesting in that I do not ever recall the passenger cars being covered. The actual engine I recall seeing far more often than the engine in the first picture.

Personally, I would really like to see a family attraction along these lines brought back to the park. The funny thing, though, is that I never road The Great Train at GA but did ride the trains at virtually every other theme park I went to back in the '70s and '80s.

I believe the covered cars were added when the park increased the number of trains from two to four in 1975 although I rarely remember seeing them run. I do recall seeing them in the maintenance yard from the reversing point of Lightnin' Loops after the train ride was removed. The blue and red engine seemed to be the one they primarily used. In addition to the yellow and blue one we also have photos of a black and orange one (which I don't recall ever seeing in person). I am not sure of the colors of the fourth engine but I am thinking it was probably the reverse color combination of the red and blue engine.

As kids we would intend to ride the train, but the line was usually too long and the Moon Flume was always just past its entrance which seemed to draw us away from trying it.

Great shot's of the Train's!!! After seeing them I can't wait for the Spotlight and they bring back some good memories. I would also love to see another Train Ride in the Park, nowadays though they would probably have to have a full cage around the Cars to keep Guests from hopping off of them.