29yrswithaGApass

Roaring Rapids

Does anyone know why Congo Rapids had so much down time last year? If i remember correctly, it was shut down at least half the time I was there. I never really looked into why this was. I hope its not a sign of the rides removal!

Do you mean closed for part of the day or closed the entire time you were there? It has a shorter operating schedule than other rides and is typically only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day but will sometimes stat open into mid or late September.

Closed as in it had the little sign in front about maintenance and the worker standing there saying "its closed right now" with no knowledge of when it would be back up and running

Im not sure lol. I just noticed he down time as my normal ritual on a warm day is to go on the rapids and then take a back seat on nitro as a quick way to dry off lol!

I believe it was to save money from budget cuts as well as some repairs to the system I think, (same reason Skull Mountain's has been turned off).

I've also heard it could be a safety issue. Whirlpools tend to form in the river, causing boats to get stuck, so they don't want boats getting trapped under the waterfall.

Just a quick question. I haven't ridden Congo Rapids in years. Brought my family today, and they rode it. (Alas a cast on my ankle meant I couldn't)

However, the ride seemed VERY short. Did they change the course of it in recent years?

I think they have adjusted the rapids a few times by moving the logs on the bottom, maybe it's that. And i heard the waterfall was for safety for the fear of a boat being flipped if was caught under it.

^Where'd you hear that, Railer? I find that ridiculous. How come every single other park can figure out how to run multiple waterfalls safely? I'm not convinced the reason here isn't the same reason we see poison ivy all around the course and so few other water elements: cheapness, plain and simple.

I've heard that from quite a few employee's over the years since they have been off. If a half-loaded boat went under the Fall's and took a "direct hit" on the side they were all sitting on, there is a possibility it could flip it. I think the last few season's the op's have been spacing Guest's on half-full boat's if i recall correctly from last season (haven't rode it yet this year) But i don't think that was the case when the Fall's first went off.

After looking the spotlight over again, i pretty sure the wall's along the course were up before the fall's went off. I know it's been quite a few season's now, but what year were the falls last on?

Edited by Railer

Its interesting to note that at SFSTL the waterfalls still work. When their Rapids waterfalls fake rock section collapsed, they found a way to fix them. Since redoing the rocks was cost prohibitive, they instead added a new themed wall with the waterfalls coming down from the top. So, it leaves only SFGADV and Great Escape with non working waterfalls in the chain.

Holly, the course cannot be changed, but you can make the ride faster by adjusting the water flow from the pumps. Hope you get your cast off soon!

Edited by Absimilliard

Does anyone know if this viewing deck which was accessed from the Koala Canyon restrooms area still exists today? I know it is closed but I am wondering if it still stands..

gallery_2_35_1149902.jpg

Would it be near the greenhouse tent/beginning of the wasteland trail? If so I want to say it's gone. I never noticed it.

Does any one think that Congo Rapids is in need of a serious update? i think that over the years it has been slowly tamed out and the ride experience has diminished, id love to see this ride completely overhauled and given a new life!

I think Congo Rapids should be given a thematic makeover as "Movietown Jungle Cruise"(for lack of a better name at this time).The backstory of the ride is that the riders are "stuntpeople" filming a water stunt on a "backlot river" like in the old studio days.Various props could be added like animatronic animals on the riverbanks and crashed airplanes and shipwrecks sticking out of the water.