Matt Kaiser

Six Flags Great Adventure to Become World’s First Solar-Powered Theme Park

On the Q4 earnings call, Jim Reid-Anderson said both California parks will also be solar powered and it will save each park one million dollars per year.

Edited by Medusa42

Yeah. I noticed that. does anyone know when their system will be online? Before, after or at the same time as Great Adventures? Im confused as why Six Flags keep saying that Great Adventure will get a worlds first or be a worlds first when another park in the chain is getting the same thing. like worlds first ABC Tourbillion. Like Fiesta Texas is getting one too for 2018. And the worlds first solar powered park. Two other parks along with Great Adventure are doing the same thing.

They never said they were getting the first Tourbillion.  They said they were getting the world's first ride themed to Cyborg.  

They probably hope to have GA's solar array up and producing before the other two parks.  The devil is, as usual, in the details and semantics.

6 hours ago, Lemur said:

They never said they were getting the first Tourbillion.  They said they were getting the world's first ride themed to Cyborg.  

They probably hope to have GA's solar array up and producing before the other two parks.  The devil is, as usual, in the details and semantics.

Over Texas is also claiming their Harley Quinn tourbillion will be a first for North America. Clearly they don't mean the theme since Over Texas already has a Harley Quinn themed ride! At the very least, it's disingenuous to label them both "America's First" even if the "first" part refers to two different things. That only legitimately works out if Over Texas opens the first Tourbillion, and then Great Adventure opens the first Cyborg-themed ride. Technically correct, but misleading.

In Great Adventure's news release, they called it "the first of its kind in North America," followed by saying "this futuristic, hi-tech ride will be unlike anything our guests have ever seen or experienced before." That's a little ambiguous but I'd call it misleading if all they mean is the theme.

As for the solar projects, I'm assuming Great Adventure is at least farther ahead with the process compared to the other parks. Despite being bigger than both California projects combined, ours could still open first. In addition, based on news articles, it sounds like Great Adventure's will "fully" power the park, while the two California projects only partially power the parks, hence Great Adventure still retaining the titles for both the first and only Solar Powered Theme Park.

17 hours ago, Matt Kaiser said:

Over Texas is also claiming their Harley Quinn tourbillion will be a first for North America. Clearly they don't mean the theme since Over Texas already has a Harley Quinn themed ride! At the very least, it's disingenuous to label them both "America's First" even if the "first" part refers to two different things. That only legitimately works out if Over Texas opens the first Tourbillion, and then Great Adventure opens the first Cyborg-themed ride. Technically correct, but misleading.

In Great Adventure's news release, they called it "the first of its kind in North America," followed by saying "this futuristic, hi-tech ride will be unlike anything our guests have ever seen or experienced before." That's a little ambiguous but I'd call it misleading if all they mean is the theme.

As for the solar projects, I'm assuming Great Adventure is at least farther ahead with the process compared to the other parks. Despite being bigger than both California projects combined, ours could still open first. In addition, based on news articles, it sounds like Great Adventure's will "fully" power the park, while the two California projects only partially power the parks, hence Great Adventure still retaining the titles for both the first and only Solar Powered Theme Park.

Yeah, going back and reading their hype and puffery, they're super-non-specific in which is first and whatnot but I do sit corrected.  I'd stand, but it's Friday and its hard to type standing.

As for the solar power ... I'm still trying to figure out if the people who think the park will close if it's cloudy or rainy are for real.  

2 hours ago, Lemur said:

As for the solar power ... I'm still trying to figure out if the people who think the park will close if it's cloudy or rainy are for real.  

LOL I didn't know that was a question.