Sign in to follow this  
Nitro#1

Camelbeach 5/23/15 (side by side comparison to Action Park included)

My home waterpark, Action Park isn't open yet, it opens on June, 13. I really wanted to visit a waterpark before Action Park opened, so I decided to try Camelbeach which is located in the Poconos at Camelback Ski Resort. It is similar in that it is a waterpark at a ski resort just like Action Park is the summer business to Mountain Creek Ski Resort. Now for the report.

I arrived at about 11:45, which was 45 minutes later than opening. I quickly found the ticket window and to my delight there was no line at all. Since it was about 55 degrees at the time of arrival, the park was dead and remained so all the time I was there. Ticket price was 40 dollars and a locker cost 8 dollars. Seemed reasonably priced to me. They do have a pay to cut the line system known as speed pass. It costs 15 dollars for regular (reservation time equal to current wait time), and 20 dollars for premium (halves the wait time). This was not necessary and not even being sold today. I was glad they weren't trying to market it on a day when it would be unnecessary because I'm sure Six Flags would still try and sell them, even if not necessary.

After going into the park and placing my stuff in the locker, I proceeded to my first rides. I saw Triple Venom, which looked like a relatively simple 3 body slide complex. Little did I know, that these things packed a huge punch, literally. I went down the straight open slide first that was in the middle. I caught air on all of the bumps. Then I went on the blue enclosed slide. This was twisty and flipped me over toward the bottom. I did the red enclosed slide next which was intense enough to put water up my nose. After going on these, I realized their water is heated, which makes it much better early season, especially on a colder day. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it on a hot mid summer day though.

The next thing I went to were the tube slides that were located to looker's left of Triple Venom. These were all basic tube slides that went down a twisty enclosed or open track. They all rode very similar, but were fun to ride and it was nice to do something a bit easier than Triple Venom.

They have a full size lazy river here. It was cool to be on it with no one else there. They don't make you rent tubes like Hurricane Harbor.

After these, I found the wave pool and checked that out. Was like basically any other wave pool out there, except the waves expanded all the way across the pool when they went and didn't alternate like many others do. The max depth was 8 feet, but the deep end wasn't open because the park was so dead.

I found Spin Cycle and Vortex after that. These are bowl slides. Spin cycle is a tube slide and Vortex is a body slide. Both were really fun, although Vortex scraped my back a little. I had never ridden anything like them before and it was cool to do so.

I dried off after these and took the Sullivan Sky Ride (Sullivan Express Ski Lift in the winter) to the top of the mountain. The views are great up there. They had this huge storage pile of blue plastic barrels (I mean thousands of them) that are used to fill up the pools in the winter so they can be covered in snow for ski season.

They have a flow rider here so I tried to bogie board on that. I am not too good at it, but it was still fun to try out.

My final rides were on Checkered Flag Challenge which is Camelbeach's mat racer slide. It was pretty fast and fun enough to ride three times. There was no one to race though.

I did not get to go on Titan, Dune Runner, or Sand Storm because they don't allow single riders. I didn't go on the kiddie rides either.

Here's my side by side comparison to Action Park (my home waterpark).

Titan vs Colorado River: Didn't get to go on Titan, but it is just a pipe that you slide down vs Colorado River which has real rapids and is built into the mountain. Edge: Colorado River.

Viper (part of Triple Venom( vs H2ohno. Viper made me catch air and I crashed down on the slide, H2ohno doesn't do this and is faster and taller. Edge: H2ohno.

Cobra and Serpent vs Rouge River: Rouge River isn't even open due to the nanny state of NJ. Cobra and Serpent were open. Edge: Cobra and Serpent, 2 points for Camelbeach.

Tube Slides vs Thunder Run, the Gauley, and Thunder Falls: There are 4 slides at Camelbeach and 3 at Action Park. This gives Camelbeach an extra point. Thunder Run, The Gauley and Thunder Falls are faster, more interesting, and a lot more intense. Edge: Thunder Run, The Gauley, and Thunder Falls. 3 points for Action Park, one for Camelbeach.

Sandstorm vs High Anxiety: High Anxiety is a lot more intense and a lot faster, but is a one trick pony that's over before you know it even started. Sandstorm looks like a slide that actually keeps going for a while, so it would be a better more interesting ride. Also has some similar funnel elements,(although smaller), to what High Anxiety has. Edge: Sandstorm.

Dune Runner vs Alpine Pipeline: Didn't get to go on Dune Runner, but it looks like nothing but a pipe with a couple hills in it. Alpine Pipeline is one of Action Parks most boring rides IMO, but it does look better that Dune Runner. Edge: Alpine Pipeline.

Vortex vs Cannonball Falls: Vortex has a better slide leading up to the drop into the water, Cannonball Falls has a better drop and doesn't give me back rashes. Edge: Draw

Spin Cycle vs Vortex (Action Park): This isn't even a contest, Spin Cycle wins no question. Vortex is really short and boring and barely gets you wet. Edge: Spin Cycle.

Checkered Flag Challenge vs Surf Hill. Checkered Flag Challenge is fun, but can't compare to Surf Hill at Action Park, one of the best rides out there. Surf Hill allows you to get a running start and it is possible to overshoot the pool and make it different distances while Checkered Flag Challenge makes you go the same distance each time. Edge: Surf Hill

Sullivan Sky Ride vs The Cabriolet: They are both ski lifts in the winter and sightseeing rides in the summer. Both do exactly the same thing with different scenery. Edge: Draw

Totals are 5 points for Camelbeach and 7 for Action Park now, but Action Park also has Vertigo, Zero G, Tarzan Swing, Cliff Jumps, and Bombs Away. Camelbeach also has Flow Rider and a Lazy River. Give Action Park 4 points because riding Vertigo, Zero G, Tarzan Swing, and the Cliffs are better than nothing. Give Camelbeach 3 because riding Flow Rider and Lazy River are better than riding nothing and because riding nothing is better than riding Bombs Away.

Totals now are 8 for Camelbeach and 11 for Action Park, so Action Park wins. However, Camelbeach is still a great park and I would definitely return if I had the chance. Has anyone else ever visited it?

Edited by Nitro#1

Never been to Camel Beach but have wanted to go there for years.

Action Park is the best water park I have ever been to. i liked Camel beach when I went like 4 years ago, but definitely didn't compare to the wild things at Action Park.

Glad you enjoyed it! Been to Camel a few times in both the summer and winter seasons, definitely a nice park with gorgeous mountain scenery and as you mentioned the heated water is a nice touch. Triple Venom really does tend to rough you up, to the point where I've never done all 3 in one visit. Vortex and Spin Cycle are some of the best on offer in my opinion and that type of slide is certainly something you don't see every day.

I haven't visited Action Park but it's always intrigued me. I'll have to make the drive down there sometime.

The heated water is great early season. I don't know if it would be a good thing on a 90 degree day when you're trying to cool off though. Action Park's water isn't heated at all and can be brutally cold since most of the park is shaded. Early season and on colder days, it can be almost unbearable for many, but on a hot day, it is super refreshing. I like it the way it is now.

The heated water is great early season. I don't know if it would be a good thing on a 90 degree day when you're trying to cool off though. Action Park's water isn't heated at all and can be brutally cold since most of the park is shaded. Early season and on colder days, it can be almost unbearable for many, but on a hot day, it is super refreshing. I like it the way it is now.

Water conducts heat away from your body faster than air does. That is why 90 degree water feels cooler than 90 degree air or why you can freeze to death more quickly in cold water than in cold air.