• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

29yrswithaGApass

Gr.Adv.Debate #33: Over and under rated GA rides

Overrated- Superman. Very fun ride but it does not warrant the attention it receives. I do believe its popularity mostly has to do with location; most visible ride before entering the park and it is at the dead end of a popular midway.

Underrated- The Chiller. These were two awesome coasters that provided a very unique experience and intensity to the park. Back in 06/07 there were days where I'd look forward to riding it more than any coaster in the parks besides Toro. I also miss its presence in the skyline and midway.

I will agree with everything you mentioned about chiller. I feels like its been so long since chiller has been in the park. Almost as if it was gone before el toro was built.

Overrated- Superman. Very fun ride but it does not warrant the attention it receives. I do believe its popularity mostly has to do with location; most visible ride before entering the park and it is at the dead end of a popular midway.

Underrated- The Chiller. These were two awesome coasters that provided a very unique experience and intensity to the park. Back in 06/07 there were days where I'd look forward to riding it more than any coaster in the parks besides Toro. I also miss its presence in the skyline and midway.

How does El Toro compare to the coaster it replaced?

I wonder if the park ever got their bang for the buck with The Chiller? As unique and as much of a draw as it was, it was also a publicity black eye for a good portion of its existence. I can't even imagine how many millions of dollars they had to pour into that ride over ten years, trying to get it up and running, with all the problems with valleying, LIMs and having to replace portions of the track. I would think except for the hardcore roller coaster enthusiast, most patrons avoided it due to the harshness of the ride. Certainly your average person didn't try to repeat ride it.

I wonder if the park ever got their bang for the buck with The Chiller? As unique and as much of a draw as it was, it was also a publicity black eye for a good portion of its existence. I can't even imagine how many millions of dollars they had to pour into that ride over ten years, trying to get it up and running, with all the problems with valleying, LIMs and having to replace portions of the track. I would think except for the hardcore roller coaster enthusiast, most patrons avoided it due to the harshness of the ride. Certainly your average person didn't try to repeat ride it.

It was a very popular ride when it was actually open. People used to run to it first thing before Nitro opened and it routinely had some of the longest lines in the park until its last year or two. After they got rid of the OTSR's I never heard anyone complaining about the ride at all.

I know this is off topic, but considering how popular Mr. Freeze still is at St. Louis and Over Texas, that doesn't surprise me.

It was a great right once they switched to lap bars. Its almost as if the Chiller was a head of its time. Look at the LMS coaster that are running now, none with as many issues as Chiller had. I think if we got that ride even 5 years after we originally got it, it would be one of the parks top coaster still running

It was a great right once they switched to lap bars. Its almost as if the Chiller was a head of its time. Look at the LMS coaster that are running now, none with as many issues as Chiller had. I think if we got that ride even 5 years after we originally got it, it would be one of the parks top coaster still running

pretty amazing for an out and back coaster

Edited by dougdrummer