29yrswithaGApass

Disney Parks additions/removals

If they can draw people with a movie no one cares about (Avatar), they should have no problem packing Stars Wars Galaxy Edge at both parks.  

• Like 1

I'm expecting the crowds for the opening of the lands especially at Disneyland to make the crowds at Islands of Adventure for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in 2010  look like nothing. I'm just glad that it's not being built at the Magic Kingdom in Florida to help distribute crowds better.

I think they're more worried about too big a demand. Disneyland and Hollywood Studios are both way too small to handle the crowds they are expecting for Star Wars. They know this will be a problem with a lot of disappointed guests. They saw the lines at Universal when Harry Potter opened and expect the same thing:

20100618__potter3.jpg

I do think they'll have some backlash. I think many people will be disappointed that they are on a planet that they don't know from the films. When people think of Star Wars, they (I think) have very specific expectation of what they want to see. I'm sure they'll be very immersive and well done lands/attractions, but I think people will be expecting to see the cantina and the band playing in it and things like that from the films. When they don't find it, I think there will be disappointment.

Black Spire Outpost was mentioned in Solo, but that's it

And Solo was kind of a dud of a movie

The biggest problem I see is food. One of the big success stories that Universal has had was selling food in Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and in the Simpsons too now. Disney has looked at that and tried to emulate it, but they haven't had any IPs that really had a food element besides Beauty & The Beast. With Avatar they created a whole special menu that was exotic and "themed" to Pandora, but when it comes down to it it's not something people were clamoring for like Butterbeer, Krusty Burgers, and Duff. The same thing for Star Wars-- who wants instant bread and blue milk? What other gimmicky stuff will they create that has no basis in the Star Wars universe? They'll sell a ton of merchandise (they already do), but I don't think it will have the "I have to buy everything" appeal that Harry Potter does. Combine that with the fact that Disney is spending building Star Wars 2-3X what Universal spent on Wizarding World and it's going to be harder to recoup the investment.

The Star Wars films do not really have any marketable foodstuffs like the Harry Potter films. There is the blue milk Luke drinks on the moisture farm in A New Hope, the snack sticks rations that Yoda disliked as well as Yoda's stew in The Empire Strikes Back. The live frogs Jabba eats in Return of the Jedi. The dead animal Jar-Jar tries to steal and the fruit he eats in The Phantom Menance, and the fruit Anakin and Padme dine on in Attack of the Clones. Can't think of any food in Revenge of the Sith. Then there is the blue bread Rey is paid with in The Force Awakens, aka A New Hope 2.0. The Last Jedi has the infamous Luke milking alien cow teets, which I do not think will sell well.

Contrast that with the Harry Potter films with all the fanciful and magical candies and drinks they consume. Its something most IPs do not have. 

Edited by The Master

Disney could definitely work new foods into future Star Wars films and take care of that.  Look what they did with Cars 2 to sell diecast cars and toys.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:05 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Disney could definitely work new foods into future Star Wars films and take care of that.  Look what they did with Cars 2 to sell diecast cars and toys.

Disney is going to release a SW cookbook, as part of a multi media program tied to Galaxy Edge. They are pretty much planing it to be a spinoff IP from thd main SW IP. There will a whole mess of bookx to explain the story and themes in the lands because there will be very little from the films. There will not even be music from any of the films in SWGE. There are also rumors that Disney will upcharge for Fastpasses in SWGE. Supposedly Disney has been toying with upcharging for Fastpasses since the development of WDW's Mypass. Euro Disneyland already has a upchargd Fastpass system in place. 

They've been doing these after hours/pre-opening events for a ridiculous upcharge so people can do the new attractions with minimal waits and crowds. I'm expecting more of that rather than Fastpass upcharges. They've resisted that (highly lucrative) cash flow this long, I don't see that changing. The pre/after hours events make them even more money.

WDW has embraced the pre/after upcharge events, while DL seems to not have adopted them to the same extent as WDW. As far as I know, the only routine upchage event that DL has that I know of is their Halloween time. They do not yet have a upchage Christmas event like WDW has had gor decades.