• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

Sign in to follow this  
gasmforever

John Fitzgerald will be leaving Six Flags Great Adventure

is there any truth to the Great Adventure Online post saying that John resigned as park president? And if so what do you think this means for the park?

As many of you may have heard, Six Flags Great Adventure Park President John Fitzgerald has resigned his position at the park and will be departing his role shortly at GA. John joined up with SFGA in 2010 and since the 2011 season has been instrumental in adding several much needed additions to the park to round out its offerings. These have included Adventure Alley with its assortment of family rides in 2012, the highly-rated Safari Off Road Adventure in 2013, the record breaking Zumanjaro drop tower in 2014, El Diablo and Holiday in the Park in 2015, and most recently the Joker coaster for 2016.

John will be missed and I'd like to wish him happiness and success wherever the road leads him. Good luck John and thanks for taking such good care of Great Adventure during the Fitzgerald Era!

2012_08_04_IMG_4112%20copy.jpg

• Like 1

What a shame. The park was really heading in the right direction under his leadership.

• Like 2

this might be good for the park. maybe things will start being fixed and the coasters that are rusting away will get some fresh paint. also, maybe the park will add much needed shows.

this might be good for the park. maybe things will start being fixed and the coasters that are rusting away will get some fresh paint. also, maybe the park will add much needed shows.

I agree, its management has not been one of the best

No matter who manages Great Adventure, the issues remain the same. Call it the "Big Wheel" lights syndrome. No matter how many times management promises to replace or upgrade the lights on the "Big Wheel", so many sections remain in a literal dark state or disrepair.

I'm not qualified to rate the Fitzgerald Era, as I haven't been to Great Adventure since 2008. His reviews are mixed from what I gather here. Only Harry can speculate with any degree of credibility, how much latitude corporate gave him in terms of future planning and day to day staffing. Out of all the Six Flags Managers I've read about, the best by far was Jay Thomas. What a terrible waste of good talent Six Flags made when they removed him from Magic Mountain.

• Like 1

Harry since you seem to be in the know, is there any indication as to the why? Is this new person coming from within the company or elsewhere? Do you have any idea where John may be off too? Will Kristin still be communications manager?

As long as it's not Mark Kane were all good....

Mark Kane is now overseeing the Six Flags parks in China.

Also, I second that we're in good hands

^Not that I am aware of - Within - No - Yes

How about a minor leak for us. Are you currently happy or sad about this news?

^

I am sad to see John go. I think the park really benefited with him driving the bus. He will be missed. But looking forward, like I said above, I believe we will be in good hands.

No matter who manages Great Adventure, the issues remain the same. Call it the "Big Wheel" lights syndrome. No matter how many times management promises to replace or upgrade the lights on the "Big Wheel", so many sections remain in a literal dark state or disrepair.

I'm not qualified to rate the Fitzgerald Era, as I haven't been to Great Adventure since 2008. His reviews are mixed from what I gather here. Only Harry can speculate with any degree of credibility, how much latitude corporate gave him in terms of future planning and day to day staffing. Out of all the Six Flags Managers I've read about, the best by far was Jay Thomas. What a terrible waste of good talent Six Flags made when they removed him from Magic Mountain.

Thoroughly agree. A park president can have opinions and try to advocate for them, but mainly they're responsible for keeping revenue up and costs down. At the end of the day it's corporate that decides on capex, as well as the budget that it's the park president's job to work within. They don't have as much leeway as people act like they do.

I know John was instrumental in leading the redevelopment of the Safari. He and his team proposed several ideas and ultimately saved the Safari by turning it into a major attraction. I don't think we'd have it today if it weren't for him.

That is a great tidbit. Didn't know he was such an advocate for it!

I suppose it does seem like corporate's gotten at least somewhat more receptive to park-level feelings on capex in the recent administration.

Well here's some good news from Fiesta Texas, Jeff Siebert (former PR Rep from Kings Island, Schlitterbahn and SFFT) just name park president!

13625397_1365205830163992_32420452080842

I wonder if other changes in park management are coming?