• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Mardi Gras Coming to Additional Six Flags Parks

Mardi Gras Event at SFGA  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Mardi Gras event added to Six Flags Great Adventure's event offerings?

• Yes!
    • No thanks.

Six Flags CEO John Duffey made the following comment at the 2017 First Quarter Conference Call this past week:

Our new Mardi Gras events which we launched at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio and Six Flags Mexico in the first quarter were very successful. The combination of parades featuring real Mardi Gras floats, entertainers and special Cajun cuisine was a huge hit with our guests, and we anticipate rolling this event out to a few more parks in 2017.[/size]

Would you like to see a Mardi Gras event added to Six Flags Great Adventure's event offerings?[/size]

Here a sample of Six Flags Fiesta Texas' event:

Yes because I would like to see a parade back at the park again.

• Like 1

I would love to see that at GA!

Absolutely

I think this would be good in a few different aspects. Besides entertainment it also would give some street entertainment, different/more food options, and guest interaction(beads) would seem to be a win for various reasons for the park.

I thinks its a bit of a stretch for Great Adventure, but for SFA yes; probably Great America too.

Here is the other comment from John Duffey during the earnings call:

So, as it relates to Mardi Gras, probably a little bit too early to tell in terms of the successes that relates to season passes. These events, they build over time. But I think, it was a little bit of a driver for our season pass, but I think going forward, gives people another reason to come to the park, multiple visits per year, all the more reason to buy a season pass.

So, we're very pleased with what we've seen in terms of the attendance during the period of time that we had Mardi Gras at both of these parks, and the in park spend, which has turned out very nice. So, overall, we're very pleased with the Mardi Gras.

The beauty of Mardi Gras is that you can actually do it at any time during the year, it doesn't have to be in March. So, I think, we've got the ability to roll this out to other parks to take the infrastructure that we have – the floats, some of the food stands, and actually move that around to parks throughout the year.

So, I think, we're going to probably see a further roll out to maybe a couple parks in 2017, and based on the success of that, we might expand to even more parks in 2018.

I thinks its a bit of a stretch for Great Adventure, but for SFA yes; probably Great America too.

I agree, as much as I would like to see the event here, I am not sure it will happen this year. I do like the idea of reusing the floats and food stands by shipping them across the country to different parks throughout the year. Great America almost seems purpose built for this event. They have a well established parade route that runs through the Orleans Place and Mardi Gras sections of the park.

Lu3eKtZ.png

Edited by Medusa42

Unlike most parks, GADV isn't built like a loop or wagon wheel. For example, SFOT and SFMM are laid out as loops, while MK is laid out like a wagon wheel. While GADV has a layout similar to a point to point to point style model railroad setup, (basically a giant railyard with lots of dead end branches and few to no loops). Obviously a loop layout is better for a parade.

Unlike most parks, GADV isn't built like a loop or wagon wheel. For example, SFOT and SFMM are laid out as loops, while MK is laid out like a wagon wheel. While GADV has a layout similar to a point to point to point style model railroad setup, (basically a giant railyard with lots of dead end branches and few to no loops). Obviously a loop layout is better for a parade.

Yeah - there are no roads/paths that navigate or circulate continuously around SFGA. So parades are not something that work well there. It was set up with basically a T shape and two spines, although the main entrance spine changed locations not long after it opened. You basically have to wonder around SFGA randomly to get anywhere you want to go, and there are way too many dead ends where you have to stop and turn around when you run out of park. I hope some of that is rectified when they finish the 4D ride and reopen some pathways.

They had a Mardi Gras festival during the 2002 "Summer of Festivals," right? I remember hearing they didn't bring it back because there were too many cases of indecent exposure.... :lol:

I was listening to the recent Goldman Sacks investors presentation on the Six Flags Investors Relations site and CEO John Duffey was talking about how successful this event has been so far. He said two parks will have a Mardi Gras event this summer and we already know one of the parks is SFStL. My guess is that SFGam gets the event in mid August through early Sept after SFStL is done with the floats. I think Six Flags might buy two more sets of floats next year to expand the event to another 6 or 7 parks.

This year:

SFMexico floats stay in Mexico due to shipping expenses and customs paperwork.

SFFT floats goto SFStL and then SFGam

Next Year:

The first set of new floats goto SFDK then SFMM and SFOT

The second set of new floats goto SFOG, then SFA, then SFGAdv, and then possibly SFNE

During the announcement video, they said more parks were getting it, but which ones specifically?

I noticed that too.  I am guessing Magic Mountain gets the event now that they are open every day next year.  I think the event didn't do as well in the middle of summer in St Louis and that is why Great America went with the Last Call Fall Festival instead.

I think Mardi Gras Would be perfect in the spring or summer.  It would definitely  be a nice event to check out during the year as long as its not during fright fest and Holiday in the park.