• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Kennywood Removing Log Jammer

https://www.kennywood.com/kennywood-log-jammer-retires

WEST MIFFLIN--As Kennywood's 2017 Summer Season winds down and we look ahead to 2018, we've come to a very hard decision: the Log Jammer will retire at the end of this season.

To celebrate 42 years of our favorite logs, Kennywood invites friends, families and Pittsburgh visitors to enjoy one last ride down the 53-foot drop chute before the summer season comes to an end on September 17.

It's a shame to see such a great log flume removed, especially with the rare uphill section. The rapids and Pittsburgh Plunge can get you soaked and removing the one water ride that doesn't get you soaked seems like a mistake.

3 days notice is not much time for people to get their final rides in either.

I'm shocked to see so many parks removing log flumes like this. They still get long lines and are family favorites. And it's not like they're replacing them with new versions or other water rides. 

I guess the maintenance is costly, but at the same time there's nothing on these rides that should be too hard to replace. The pumps are standard equipment and the fiberglass troughs should be easy enough to repair. The only thing I can think is maybe the logs/boats are costly to replace when they wear out. 

It's for the FUTURE, or at least I hope!

I love the old tyme appeal of a log flume, but I can see parks taking them out in favor of a Schlitterbahn-style water coaster, or taking any wet rides out entirely if they have an adjacent water park.  Bigger, faster, etc. etc. etc.  Thank God for places like Knoebel's. 

Edited by Lemur

I wouldn't be surprised if GA's log flume days are numbered.  Last time I rode it, the trough had significant fiberglass patching at the joints.  The lift sections are jarring bumpy, and many locations along the ride are pretty rough, with the boats bouncing off the walls.  And several times I visited this season, the ride was out of commission.

Edited by dougdrummer

20 minutes ago, dougdrummer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if GA's log flume days are numbered.  Last time I rode it, the trough had significant fiberglass patching at the joints.  The lift sections are jarring bumpy, and many locations along the ride are pretty rough, with the boats bouncing off the walls.  And several times I visited this season, the ride was out of commission.

I somewhat agree with you.  Now the question is, what would replace it.  I feel like it would turn out like the Great Lake Grandstand.

17 hours ago, Mr.Six said:

I somewhat agree with you.  Now the question is, what would replace it.  I feel like it would turn out like the Great Lake Grandstand.

that whole area below the flume is already a wasteland, which is a shame

Perhaps the new 7 million Euro children’s area will use some of this space.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20171129/433287512160/parques-reunidos-invertira-55-millones-en-2018-en-renovar-y-ampliar-centros.html

Madrid, November 29 (EFE) .- Parques Reunidos will invest 55 million euros next year in its leisure parks, mainly in renovations and extensions, according to the presentation submitted to the National Securities Market Commission (CNMV).

Among other projects that will invest in next year, include the expansion of Mirabeach (Italy) and a new children's area theme in Kennywood (United States), both with a budget of 7 million.

Maybe they are going to add a family coaster? Unless Jack Rabbit is considered a family coaster, there are no other coasters for kids under 46" besides Lil' Phantom.