• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
    • 29yrswithaGApass

RECENT SITE UPDATES   11/03/2017

Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Gr.Adv.Debate #45: What if the park didn't have Looney Tunes or DC?

If Great Adventure didn't have the Looney Tunes or DC Comics, what animated or IP would you like to see at the park?  Be realistic and don't include any characters that currently are exclusive to other park chains (Disney characters, Marvel, Harry Potter, etc.)

I was going to say Nickelodeon since most kids probably know the characters well but with American Dream that probably wouldn't work. Maybe Cartoon Network since I don't think any US parks use that license.

The obvious answer to this is Pokemon, but it's technically incorrect because Universal owns the license to all Nintendo IP as far as ride theming is concerned. 

This is a surprising difficult question to answer, when you take into consideration overseas licensing agreements.  Cartoon Network's characters are licensed to a water park in Thailand owned by Amazon Falls Company Limited.  I doubt the agreement is a worldwide exclusive, as Turner wouldn't be so dumb as to leave that much money on the table.  Sega, who owns Sonic, seems content to open their own indoor theme parks and not actually partner with anyone or to license the characters as one-off to places like Alton Towers in the UK (which has since re-themed).  Disney and Universal have gobbled up so much of the market for licensing, it really is a difficult question.  So little theme-able entertainment is independent of NBCUniversal and Disney these days aside from Sega and CN, the only thing really left is HBO's lineup of mostly adult-geared entertainment and they don't seem interested in theme parks and thrill rides (though the Lord knows, they're milking every last dime out of Game of Thrones, so who knows.)  That said, I haven't played any video games since roughly 1999 and it was Final Fantasy (not a bad idea) on the PlayStation 1 so there maybe a franchise out there I'm totally overlooking.

17 minutes ago, Lemur said:

..... the only thing really left is HBO's lineup.....

So you're saying there is the chance of a West World theme park?

1 minute ago, scott said:

So you're saying there is the chance of a West World theme park?

I don't know if there is enough irony in the world to pull that one off.  

ETA:  From the depths of my memory emerged the rumor of an Animaniacs reboot, which I would *love* to see licensed to GAdv.  Granted, they could piggyback off of the Looney Tunes contract with Time Warner ... who also owns Cartoon Network.  

Edited by Lemur