Sign in to follow this  
Medusa42

Dorney Park Removing Stinger

https://www.dorneypark.com/blog/2017/december/changes-at-the-park

Finally, from time to time we have to move things around or even remove them completely in order to look to the future.  Stinger, which came to us from our sister park California's Great America in 2012, will be removed to make room for future planning opportunities. We don’t have details to share right now, but we are working on future planning and development of the park. 

It will be interesting to see what coaster the park receives next.

• Like 1

This is probably the first time I have been happy to see a coaster removed. I was against the park getting the coaster after all the issues it had at Great America,  most specifically when the coaster got stuck with riders for 5 hours. The problems were supposedly fixed when the coaster went to Dorney but it continued to have problem after problem, either valleying, getting stuck with riders for 90 minutes and the opening day issue in 2014 where hydraulic fluid got on riders and was closed the entire season, similar to the what happened with Two Face at SFA. I only rode Stinger 9 times while it was at Dorney and only once after 2013 because it just wasn't fun to ride a coaster and worry about being stuck for an hour or more.

Hopefully this will mean Dorney will get a new coaster for 2019 and not something relocated.

Will it be scrapped, sold to another non Cedar Fair park or be relocated to Michigan's Adventure.

Kanonen hasn't shown up anywhere yet and it was rumored that the ride was headed to the US and that Cedar Fair purchased the ride.  A lot of people were thinking it might end up at Carowinds, but Dorney would make more sense in my opinion.

That's one relocated coaster I wouldn't mind seeing (a GCI is still my first choice) especially if it were to get the soft strap restraints.

Looking at RCDB, I didn't realize Kanonen was so compact.

https://rcdb.com/2905.htm#p=12084

I don't want to see Dorney get another hand me down coaster even though Kanoenen is a good ride. Hopefully they put in a GCI or an RMC coaster, possibly a Raptor.

Not surprised by the news, hopefully something decent replaces it. 

It is surprising they run so well at Disney especially with how many more hours and days those coasters are operated. 

It seems Kanonen at Liseberg in Sweden has been sold to Cedar Fair.  This coaster is a launch coaster that goes 47 MPH, has 2 inversions and goes about 75 feet up in the air.  It’s built by Intamin.  I put the ride’s footprint in Vertigos land and including a station it fits exactly.  It would be a perfect fit for Dorney.FwbYp8M.jpg

Its not a NEW Intimin, but its an Intimin. It seems to be on a travel scale, like Laser (wasn't that ride in that area back in the day). I think it might be a good everybody ride (kids first launch coaster, park gets full circuit launcher, easy money maker.)

But couldn't a Raptor also fit in that spot?

33 minutes ago, Pineracer said:

Its not a NEW Intimin, but its an Intimin. It seems to be on a travel scale, like Laser (wasn't that ride in that area back in the day). I think it might be a good everybody ride (kids first launch coaster, park gets full circuit launcher, easy money maker.)

But couldn't a Raptor also fit in that spot?

Never heard of Intimin.  Is this a Chinese company?  Hope it holds up better than my Slamsung TV.

• Like 1

Intamin, Swiss design and manufacturing company best known for coasters and rides, not to be confused with the cookies, Entanmann's!

From our park, they made Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro, El Toro, Congo Rapids, Parachutes, and Skull Mountain.

I find it strange that Kingda Ka, Storm Runner and this would all be so close to one another. There's only a handful of Intmain launch coasters in the world, it's really odd that three of them will be about 50 miles apart from one another. 

I also wonder if the launch will be changed? Could they substitute an electro magnetic launch instead of hydraulic? That would make it cheaper to maintain and more reliable theoretically. 

5 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

I find it strange that Kingda Ka, Storm Runner and this would all be so close to one another. There's only a handful of Intmain launch coasters in the world, it's really odd that three of them will be about 50 miles apart from one another. 

I also wonder if the launch will be changed? Could they substitute an electro magnetic launch instead of hydraulic? That would make it cheaper to maintain and more reliable theoretically. 

Yeah that is interesting that 3 of the same type of a rarer coaster type would be that close.

^ It seemed like a difficult credit to get for anyone not visiting multiple times a year. It was closed at least part of the time I was at the park almost every time this past season (and often in seasons before that as well) and sometimes it was closed the entire time I was at the park.

With the rumors of this coaster being relocated to Dorney being discussed on multiple sites, I'm starting to like the idea of it happening more. It would be another coaster I would want to ride more than once per trip to the park (right now that's just Talon and Steel Force for me). It still won't make me want to visit the park over Great Adventure or Hershey when the water park isn't open but at least would get me to want to spend a little more time in the park.