Kings Dominion Renames Ricochet and Rebel Yell

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/big-changes-coming-to-candy-apple-grove

We are breathing new life into that area of the park, reenergizing a section that hasn’t had much change in over a decade. Some improvements include removing asphalt and replacing it with decorative pavers, completing a major renovation of the restrooms in the Grove and adding new lighting, seating and fresh paint to certain structures. The area will also feature a new festival plaza that we will utilize during our many signature events!

As part of the revitalization, two of our fan favorite roller coasters, Ricochet and Rebel Yell are getting new names and signage! Ricochet will now be “Apple Zapple,” reflective of its tight turns and location in Candy Apple Grove. Apple Zapple is receiving a new paint job and color scheme.

Rebel Yell will become “Racer 75” as a nod to its 1975 entry into the park as well as giving recognition to ACE, the American Coaster Enthusiasts, (rACEr 75 – get it?!). ACE was founded in 1978 after a roller-coaster-riding event on this attraction. The new name, Racer 75, is also reflective of the design, a racer-style coaster.  We will continue to replace sections of the track on this classic wooden coaster as a commitment to maintaining the iconic ride. As part of this work, riders will notice a smoother experience as they race through the course.

I rode both of these rides in June 2017.  I like the Ricochet rename but I’m not the biggest fan of Rebel Yells.  “Racer 75” doesn’t sound classic like Rebel Yell.

Especially since Kings Island’s coaster is The Racer. 

It’s just a preemptive name change to be PC.  Ricochet was probably just renamed to make it seem less obvious that they eliminated Rebel Yell because of the whole Confederate thing making headlines.  

• Like 1

I don't like the new names either.

Maybe if the coaster actually raced, it wouldn't be as bad. From reading trip reports over the years since they stopped running 1 side backwards, it sounds like that sometimes only 1 side is open.

53 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Stupid.  Confederate history aside, Virigina was an original 13 colony that rebelled against the British crown.  No reason to do this unless it's heavily CSA themed. 

The problem isn't the word "Rebel". "Rebel Yell" is a confederate battle cry, so yes, it's CSA themed.

And, with the recent removal of Thunder Road at Carowinds recently (which was a very similar situation to Rebel Yell/Racer 75) where it was an old racing woodie that divided the theme park from the waterpark, it's better to get a rename than a removal. 

14 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

And, with the recent removal of Thunder Road at Carowinds recently (which was a very similar situation to Rebel Yell/Racer 75) where it was an old racing woodie that divided the theme park from the waterpark, it's better to get a rename than a removal. 

Why not just rename it Thunder Road? They probably still have the sign.

As an ACEr, I don't like the Racer75 name either, Especially since the park now has 2 coasters with numbers in them.

Although I do like the Apple Zapple name.

18 hours ago, Matt Kaiser said:

The problem isn't the word "Rebel". "Rebel Yell" is a confederate battle cry, so yes, it's CSA themed.

I'm well familiar with the rebel yell - it was actually a hunting cry that the Confederates took up.  Still stupid.  It could also be named after a Billy Idol song. Retheme the cars to late 80's punk rock and keep the name.