Sign in to follow this  
29yrswithaGApass

Giant Wheel

You are really into those old tvs. All they did was show some cartoons and ads, nothing special or worth asking over and over about.

has anyone noticed that the big wheel no longer has a flashing light pattern and the amount of bulbs that seem to be out, i thought they were upgraded to leds, i thought there life span was much longer.

I was happy to see the pattern change on my last night visit - I thought it was gone. I wondered why so many lights were out too. For the most part they are random so it isn't as if an enitre lighting bar or section's wiring failed. I always heard long life was a major selling point of those new LEDs.

oh cool, i have been to the park a few times at night and the solid pattern was only lit, do the ride ops control if its solid or flashing?

After a knee-jerk reaction to the unfortunate accident at Morey's a couple of summers back, it seems the "No Singe Riders" rule has been retracted at Great Adventure's Big Wheel. The signs have been removed and the safety listing now says "42" to ride alone".

That is great to hear, it will be nice to be able to go to the ride again.

Maybe the signs were taken down temporarily, I just walked past the ride and there are 2 no single rider permitted signs :(

I wish the park would sometimes use more cars on the Big Wheel. It seems it is the only ride that they don't take advantage of the availble capacity. It kills me when they only load four of the 36 cars.

I wish the park would sometimes use more cars on the Big Wheel. It seems it is the only ride that they don't take advantage of the availble capacity. It kills me when they only load four of the 36 cars.

Are you serious that they would start a cycle with 32 cars empty? Just the electricity costs alone can not be justified with 4 cars utilized. Does this actually happen with people still standing in the cue?

They use more cars as the line picks up. I only get in line when it is short (~20 people) but don't like seeing so many unused cars whiz by.

^ I've been in lines much longer than that and I think they were only running 8 cars. They need to use more of the ride.

The "Harry's Corner" in this edition (July 22-Aug 5) is not accurate when it comes to the Wheel at all. This year the light's do not change patterns at all, and about a 1/4 of them are out. Look's like nothing has been done or replaced since the re-hab year's ago. I thought LED's has a longer life? Granny's look's like bad with some of the scroll's out also. Are they letting it lapse until they prepare for HITP?

The year they did the re-hab it was awesome, some of the patters were really cool. But last night they were just "static", with alot of bulbs out. It was like that the Fireworks weekend also. They are my only night time visit's so far this year.

Is there a reason that the lights were not on for HITP? with all the lights in the park I thought it would be some sourt of center piece?

The Big Wheel's lights are very colorful, which conflicted with the all-blue lights theme of the area.

That's what I was told by Kristin.

It's also worth noting that the lights have been off this entire season as well.

Time for a lightning package upgrade on the wheel. Last year was a complete joke Tons of lights out and not working. If they go with what all other parks are doing, they can do designs with the LEDs during special holidays and what not.

• Like 1

Time for a lightning package upgrade on the wheel. Last year was a complete joke Tons of lights out and not working. If they go with what all other parks are doing, they can do designs with the LEDs during special holidays and what not.

True. Classic SF corner-cutting on the much-touted lighting "upgrade" it got just a few years back.

So, when you got on the ride, how many complete spins did the passengers get? Was it the same or different on the Little Wheel? For anybody who has operated the Giant Wheel, was it a fun ride to work on? Love to hear some comments.