NEW - Jersey Devil Coaster delayed until 2021

So with Magic Mountain apparently getting an RMC Raptor like JDC would this make Jersey Devil another coaster with clones or would Jersey Devil still be original in its own way or you know what I mean.

Edited by PA/NJ Coaster Boi
  • Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forum,   I am catching up on site maps at a very reasonable pace. After being a month behind, I am caught up to February 23rd as of early this morning. The current lineup of site maps goes a

Passed some supports en route to the park by KFC earlier. 

Good afternoon all! I had the opportunity to visit the Prospertown/Switlik Lake near the park today and grabbed some great photos and footage of the structure. It looks absolutely beautiful from afar,

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, PA/NJ Coaster Boi said:

So with Magic Mountain apparently getting an RMC Raptor like JDC would this make Jersey Devil another coaster with clones or would Jersey Devil still be original in its own way or you know what I mean.

It'll still be unique! Ours will have an original theme, which is definitely a plus (there is a very high chance MM's is DC themed since it is literally surrounded by DC themed rides and runs through both DC Universe and Metropolis). Ours will also be shorter probably height and length wise, but that might be a good thing since some rides don't benefit from longer layouts. Look at Storm Chaser and Wicked Cyclone for example: Wicked Cyclone and Storm Chaser have comparable stats, yet Storm Chaser is much shorter than Wicked Cyclone and rightfully so, since Wicked Cyclone loses so much of its speed at the end while Storm Chaser is still absolutely hauling as it hits the brakes. Sometimes, more length isn't necessarily beneficial to certain rides!

Edited by XENITH
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, XENITH said:

Sometimes, more length isn't necessarily beneficial to certain rides!

I so want to quote Michael Scott of Dunder Mifflin here but for good teste I will keep if to myself.🤐 🤭

22 hours ago, XENITH said:

It'll still be unique! Ours will have an original theme, which is definitely a plus (there is a very high chance MM's is DC themed since it is literally surrounded by DC themed rides and runs through both DC Universe and Metropolis). Ours will also be shorter probably height and length wise, but that might be a good thing since some rides don't benefit from longer layouts. Look at Storm Chaser and Wicked Cyclone for example: Wicked Cyclone and Storm Chaser have comparable stats, yet Storm Chaser is much shorter than Wicked Cyclone and rightfully so, since Wicked Cyclone loses so much of its speed at the end while Storm Chaser is still absolutely hauling as it hits the brakes. Sometimes, more length isn't necessarily beneficial to certain rides!

I really disagree with your Wicked Cyclone thoughts. Yes depending on weather it can run a little slower at the end but I’ve never thought of it as slow and at times it’s hauling a$$ straight into the break run. 

1 hour ago, Sluggo77 said:

I really disagree with your Wicked Cyclone thoughts. Yes depending on weather it can run a little slower at the end but I’ve never thought of it as slow and at times it’s hauling a$$ straight into the break run. 

For the sake of the example (compared to Storm Chaser) I don't think Wicked Cyclone is comparable to the speed Storm Chaser at the end, even if Wicked Cyclone is running a bit faster a certain day. Not that it is sluggish, but compared to Storm Chaser I think it somewhat falters in most cases. Nonetheless, let's try to get back on topic with JDC 😈

Edited by XENITH

I knew JDC was gonna be cloned based on the layout but I wish it could’ve stayed an uniquely Gadv coaster. The park already has one too many clones as is, whether the original or not. Six Flags needs some originality especially with coaster designs. 

I can't believe these idiots copied Jersey Devil. can't we have our own thing? The last original coaster we got was what El Toro and Jersey Devil can't be original  too? Maybe it actually is. Quoting what XENITH said a few days ago when I ask if this would make JDC another coaster with clones he did reply saying

"It'll still be unique! Ours will have an original theme, which is definitely a plus (there is a very high chance MM's is DC themed since it is literally surrounded by DC themed rides and runs through both DC Universe and Metropolis). Ours will also be shorter probably height and length wise, but that might be a good thing since some rides don't benefit from longer layouts."

27 minutes ago, PA/NJ Coaster Boi said:

I can't believe these idiots copied Jersey Devil. can't we have our own thing? The last original coaster we got was what El Toro and Jersey Devil can't be original  too? Maybe it actually is.

Great Adventure is not one of the Six Flags parks that gets custom coasters.  El Toro was built under different management.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Medusa42 said:

Great Adventure is not one of the Six Flags parks that gets custom coasters.  El Toro was built under different management.

That doesn't mean we aren't getting one. They should know that Great Adventure is as popular as Magic Mountain and a lot of people go to Great Adventure every year like Magic Mountain.

I don't mind if Six Flags ends up building clones of the ride, I'm just happy that Great Adventure is adding what looks like is going to be an amazing coaster.

I know a lot of enthusiasts don't like clones but 99% of Great Adventure visitors probably don't care or even will know there is a clone of the ride almost 3000 miles away. 

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, Yoshi said:

I don't mind if Six Flags ends up building clones of the ride, I'm just happy that Great Adventure is adding what looks like is going to be an amazing coaster.

I know a lot of enthusiasts don't like clones but 99% of Great Adventure visitors probably don't care or even will know there is a clone of the ride almost 3000 miles away. 

Right. Your average "GP" park guest (the vast majority of the park's attendance) won't walk into the park knowing JDC was cloned and extended at Magic Mountain across the country. They may draw similar comparisons between the two rides if they have ridden both or rides similar to it like Railblazer or WWGLC, but often times they won't even notice the two layouts are identical apart from an extended ending, since most of them don't dissect and study these coasters daily like we do. 

Like @The Master said, cloning saves costs, they don't have to constantly create new layouts for every park, and they are fantastic rides for the most part. Besides, a ride like JDC is probably going to be one of the most intense and aggressive coasters in the world and it is an absolutely excellent choice for cloning, especially at a park like Magic Mountain where this ride will join the insane company of Twisted Colossus and X2 (this is a SCARY top 3 at just ONE park, think about that. That's like the 1990s Chicago Bulls of amusement parks). 

JDC is going to be an amazing ride regardless of whether it is cloned, mirrored, inverted, rotated, warped, distorted, skewed, or shrunk down. And even in that circumstance, the majority of guests, like @Yoshi said, won't care or even realize there is a virtually identical clone of the ride thousands of miles away.

• Like 3

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter if it’s a clone. A coaster is a coaster at the end of the day. But from an enthusiast’s perspective it’s extremely tiring seeing unoriginality at your home park. I understand from a business perspective it saves money, etc. etc.. but would it kill Six Flags to appreciate and value each park as it’s own property and add attractions accordingly. 

Six Flags is just lazy and cheap if we’re being honest. More focused on a profit than the guest experience. But that’s 99% of businesses in America anyway.. Yay Capitalism. 🙂

Edited by Prince94
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Prince94 said:

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter if it’s a clone. A coaster is a coaster at the end of the day. But from an enthusiast’s perspective it’s extremely tiring seeing unoriginality at your home park. I understand from a business perspective it saves money, etc. etc.. but would it kill Six Flags to appreciate and value each park as it’s own property and add attractions accordingly. 

Six Flags is just lazy and cheap if we’re being honest. More focused on a profit than the guest experience. But that’s 99% of businesses in America anyway.. Yay Capitalism. 🙂

It wouldn't kill Six Flags to do so, but its logistically and rationally smart to keep cloning rides. Originality is not the name of their game, that's ultimately the game Cedar Fair plays on. And in doing so, look at the sheer capital Cedar Fair runs each year on coasters. Orion is probably 25+ million dollars alone, when all of Six Flags' 2020 coasters are probably less than 25 million PLUS other insane thrill and family rides. Originality as such comes at a cost, which is a cost and an expense Six Flags is not willing to seize in the near future; it's just not their business model. Think of Six Flags as Costco; get it to you in bulk for a low price where you ultimately are going to [the park] for the coasters and the rides. Cedar Fair is more of a Whole Foods, where they get you the quality you want and you go for the whole experience; coasters, good live entertainment, food, parades, the whole nine yards.

Six Flags still appreciates each park's value and uniqueness, however, as each park has their own unique coasters; even the Great Escape. However, that doesn't mean all of the park has to be totally unique. There are pieces of every park in the world that are unique to that park only, even if all they have is a wacky worm and an abandoned kiddie train. It isn't worth Six Flags' energy, time, and money to so strategically plan attractions around keeping each park unique and distinct when their business model relies on routine attractions that they can purchase in bulk and drop wherever they see fit. Besides, even if every Six Flags park now has most of the same and similar rides, most of them are just as much destination parks as the big Cedar Fair parks despite many of the Six Flags rides being similar or clones. It's easier, less capital-intensive, the average guest (which makes up the vast majority of their leading demographic) doesn't notice or doesn't care, and it's working for them. As much as this business model is failing to provide parks with unique attractions throughout the Six Flags chain, it's, for the most part, benefiting Six Flags more than it is hurting them and its something they will only improve upon in the foreseeable future.

Edited by XENITH

Just watched the new JDC update from TheCoasterSpot, which he will be re-uploading so I will not post a link yet. We now have verification that construction on JERSEY DEVIL COASTER does not fall under Governor Murphy's exceptions and has been halted. All of the cranes on site have been grounded and removed from the site for the time being and the site has been generally tidied up. 

Edit: here is the video

Edited by XENITH
  • Like 1

All the quarries in the country are currenty closed down and they have stopped selling bulk quantities. So even when the lockdowns end, it can take a month for the concrete supply chains to resume. 

Edited by The Master

I don't think it matters too much if it becomes a clone. I believe only the more prioritized Six Flags parks will receive it anyways, the same way the Giga Discovery went to fewer parks. Plus the theme will be unique at least. This layout would become the best clone at a Six Flags park, most likely even better than the Batman clones.

I wonder what the next coaster at Great Adventure would be though. It would likely be a custom creation, since there isn't much else to clone (unless Six Flags starts cloning the S&S Axis Coaster).

6 minutes ago, Gyrotron said:

I don't think it matters too much if it becomes a clone. I believe only the more prioritized Six Flags parks will receive it anyways, the same way the Giga Discovery went to fewer parks. Plus the theme will be unique at least. This layout would become the best clone at a Six Flags park, most likely even better than the Batman clones.

I wonder what the next coaster at Great Adventure would be though. It would likely be a custom creation, since there isn't much else to clone (unless Six Flags starts cloning the S&S Axis Coaster).

Whatever coaster/attraction we do get next is most likely going to be a clone of something already existing or will be cloned in the future. Now that I think about it, I think the last ride we got that was non-cloned both ways was Zumanjaro, and even that is extremely similar to Lex Luthor over at Magic Mountain. But disregarding Zumanjaro and the Safari and what not, the last non-cloned ride built originally at the park was probably El Toro or something back in 2006. I'm sure the park's future of new rides isn't going to include rides unique to GADV, since that doesn't seem to be their game based off of what we saw in the 2010s. 

An Axis Coaster at the park would be so cool, and I wouldn't even put it too out of the picture for Six Flags to implement a prototype at Great Adventure specifically since its something they've very very lightly dabbled in in the recent past with Cyborg. I think we'll see an Axis Coaster at a Fiesta Texas or another "testing ground" like that before Great Adventure, but who knows at this point. 

I like to think that JDC is probably the best coaster Six Flags has planned to clone, since a coaster of this aggression and this level of intensity I don't believe has been cloned by Six Flags before. For the most part, you've had your standard boomerangs and SLCs and what not, but I don't think a coaster this menacing has ever been cloned by Six Flags before (correct me if I am wrong on that). This will be an outstanding clone wherever it does go and will hopefully give parks yet another stand-out coaster. Again, parks like Magic Mountain with an extended version of this ride are putting themselves in uncharted territory here with one of the most ridiculous and straight-up terrifying top 3's ever. 

On 4/20/2020 at 11:27 PM, XENITH said:

I like to think that JDC is probably the best coaster Six Flags has planned to clone, since a coaster of this aggression and this level of intensity I don't believe has been cloned by Six Flags before. For the most part, you've had your standard boomerangs and SLCs and what not, but I don't think a coaster this menacing has ever been cloned by Six Flags before (correct me if I am wrong on that). This will be an outstanding clone wherever it does go and will hopefully give parks yet another stand-out coaster. Again, parks like Magic Mountain with an extended version of this ride are putting themselves in uncharted territory here with one of the most ridiculous and straight-up terrifying top 3's ever. 

Yeah the addition of JDC really adds another top-tier attraction to the park. I think El Toro, Nitro and JDC are a very strong collection of coasters (and all from different manufacturers), & this doesn't even include the KK/Zumanjaro duo that further elevates Great Adventure. Plus with all the supporting B&Ms and flats, Great Adventure is sitting comfortably with a strong repertoire of rides.

I'm trying not to focus on another park getting the same ride, but if it's a modified layout, it kind of reminds me of Viper/Scream Machine/Shockwave. They all were very similar Arrow looping coasters with some modifications to the layout, but generally the same elements overall. It's pretty cool now to see a similar trend with RMC single rail coasters. Though I hope Magic Mountain's is not too much taller/faster/longer, it would feel kind of a bummer for JDC.

• Like 1

Candymonium can resume May 1st. Since New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, and most of New England plan to reopen together so I believe this is the same for Jersey Devil

I know XENITH has posted incredible drone videos of the construction of Jersey Devil, and they are truly unique as I could never fly that low and slow (😀), but I still want to share my own construction updates with everyone.  I only have one at the moment from 3/11/20, but more are planned.

42 minutes ago, Flyin Phil said:

I know XENITH has posted incredible drone videos of the construction of Jersey Devil, and they are truly unique as I could never fly that low and slow (😀), but I still want to share my own construction updates with everyone.  I only have one at the moment from 3/11/20, but more are planned.

That’s so awesome to hear Phil! I can’t wait to see what angles you’ve got from your side, I’m sure the aerial views of the coaster from those heights are going to look incredible! 🤩

(Edit: I just checked out your 3/11 gallery, those photos are INCREDIBLE 🤯 I’m gonna be on your site all day now lol)

The drone videos actually aren’t mine (I don’t know if that is what you alluded to but I don’t want to take credit that isn’t mine), I share them on this forum since the creator isn’t active on this site to my knowledge. The person who does the drone updates is Alex from TheCoasterSpot on YouTube (@thecoasterspot on Instagram and @coasterspotting on Twitter). Can’t thank him enough for what he’s done especially during these challenges we are facing 🙌

Edited by XENITH
  • 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to NEW - Jersey Devil Coaster delayed until 2021