NEW - Jersey Devil Coaster delayed until 2021

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forum,   I am catching up on site maps at a very reasonable pace. After being a month behind, I am caught up to February 23rd as of early this morning. The current lineup of site maps goes a

I know assembly of this will be fairly quick, but this made me laugh the other day in the "Great Adventure Connoisseurs" group on Facebook:     

Here is an odd little tidbit that I am not sure they were counting on:   - Jersey Devil will be the park's 6th highest coaster (Kingda Ka, Nitro, El Toro, Green Lantern, Bizarro, and JD)

Posted Images

Since JERSEY DEVIL COASTER will debut in 2021, what if the park did a first-rider auction ride event like Kings Island did with Orion. For every person who raises a certain amount of money ($150 or so) for a given COVID-19 relief fund, they will be granted early access to ride JERSEY DEVIL COASTER before the rest of the general public. Not only would this allow eager riders to get on the coaster before the masses, but the park would also raise money for a great cause. The park could hold the media day, then the fundraiser event, then the membership and pass holder previews, and then the public opening. What do you all think about this idea?

1 hour ago, XENITH said:

Since JERSEY DEVIL COASTER will debut in 2021, what if the park did a first-rider auction ride event like Kings Island did with Orion. For every person who raises a certain amount of money ($150 or so) for a given COVID-19 relief fund, they will be granted early access to ride JERSEY DEVIL COASTER before the rest of the general public. Not only would this allow eager riders to get on the coaster before the masses, but the park would also raise money for a great cause. The park could hold the media day, then the fundraiser event, then the membership and pass holder previews, and then the public opening. What do you all think about this idea?

That’s a great idea!

So I was working on the next JDC 8mm project and I made a "happy accident," in the words of Mr. Bob Ross. I ended up making a pretty eerie edit of JERSEY DEVIL COASTER at night. It kind of looks like an album cover if you ask me. **Turn your computer or phone brightness all the way up for the best quality**

JDC_NIGHT_FINAL.jpg

Edited by XENITH
  • Like 1

CoasterForce recently toured the RMC headquarters and posted a trip report.

https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/antinos-2020-thread-silverwood-and-remaining-sights-whole-report-complete.44288/#post-1090155

A couple of things related to Jersey Devil Coaster:

RMC's Raptor prototype had been scrapped about one week prior to our visit. It sounds like they put some mileage on it, as they did a lot of ongoing product development on it in addition to the initial development that took place for Wonder Woman and Railblazer (Also, because they're located next to an airport, they needed to gain FAA approval to build the prototype as it breached the height ceiling, and their waiver had recently expired). From what we were told, they are essentially on generation two for the Raptor product already. Although Jersey Devil's trains look nearly identical to its predecessors', basically everything underneath the fiberglass has been redesigned to the point where the chassis more closely resemble the gen 2 hybrid "swing axle" trains introduced in 2018.

Although SFGAdv recently announced that Jersey Devil will open in 2021, RMC still does not have any timeline for when they will actually finish Jersey Devil or Iron Gwazi.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 7/12/2020 at 3:53 AM, Gyrotron said:

Can anyone explain how the gen 2 hybrid "swing axle" trains are? How do you think this will affect the ride of JDC versus how Railblazer and Wonder Woman are?

I believe the 2nd Gen Swing Axle trains allow for more tighter and intense elements. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong) 

Currently at the park! There are multiple signs posted alerting guests that Jersey Devil Coaster will debut in 2021 due to the current pandemic. Signs are posted at the following locations (from what I saw):

• On the Six Flags logo planter at the temperature screening switchbacks 
  • Outside of the Johnny Rockets next to the fountain 
  • On the fence of the smoking area next to Congo Rapids and Nitro
  • On the fence next to Taz Tornado
Edited by XENITH
On 7/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, EasternThrills said:

I believe the 2nd Gen Swing Axle trains allow for more tighter and intense elements. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong) 

I had heard that they navigate the track different, in a more "smooth" fashion and that it feels like the train is gliding through transitions. I'm not exactly sure and would like to know more, but this is what I was told regarding Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers trains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Normally around this time of year, we would all be speculating about what Six Flags will be adding for the 2021 season. However, that is obviously not the case this year, but instead I wanted to speculate about something else related to the technical 2021 new attraction at the park, JERSEY DEVIL COASTER. @EasternThrills and I have been speculating for a while that construction on the new coaster would start up again around Labor Day, which would be the following weekend after this upcoming one. However, there remains minimal construction equipment on site aside from some boom-lifts and miscellaneous vehicles. One of those Bay Crane's was on site a few weeks ago, but I believe that has since been removed from the site. The giant TREX crane being used to hoist all of the steel track and support pieces into the air is not on site either. 

From what I have seen going in person to the construction site, shipments are still actively coming into the park. Just recently, steel structure for the station and storage shed has arrived and is staged on site at the foot of the crows nest. Likewise, a new set of steel trusses have arrived for the storage shed. The steel for both the station and storage shed is a metallic grey color, which should compliment the coaster's color scheme very nicely. Next to Nitro's drop is also more track pieces, which were the base of the lift, lift hill, and lift hill crest from what I could make out. I also noticed the slider tracks for the transfer in that area, as well as some more catwalks (most likely for the lift). I also noticed some rusty brown looking catwalks, which could be for the storage shed. I can even remember seeing a lift motor, if I am not mistaken, as well as the lift chain. In this case, it appears the park is in possession of more than 75% of the tangible aspects of the project, as they have virtually all track pieces and support columns, as well as most of the transfer-track pieces, catwalks, and other structural components (station and storage shed pieces) for the project. Below I've attached some pictures of the new steel shipments:

IMG-3644.thumb.jpg.f8cb5b424f5cee3c0d958a159b3619a6.jpg

Look at all of that grass starting to come in! Some of these bolts on the storage shed foundation are interesting; same with the three pier caps inside the shed with no columns on them. Probably for some sort of structure. That rust on some of the columns doesn't look too good either. 

IMG-3645.thumb.jpg.056a048a070956f807d079ce855a216c.jpg

Notice how low this station is; this will easily be one of the lower coaster stations in the park (excluding the indoor coasters), only higher than Harley Quinn and Joker. This station doesn't look to be more than 10 feet off the ground, comparable to the height of Kingda Ka's station I'd say. 

IMG-3642.thumb.jpg.45d2508d7d9cc6f7d66045c41b264140.jpg

Some steel ties on the first set of storage columns, possibly for some steel-wire netting under the track. This site is so eerie, as it looks like everyone booked it out and left everything behind back when Murphy ordered the construction halt in April. Still rolls of duct tape and boxes of nails scattered everywhere as if the workers were expecting to come back within the next few weeks, but they never did. 

While walking through Adventure Seaport, I had also noticed some interesting things in the Safari Kids section adjacent to Nitro's front entrance. The fountain in this area has been repainted, and its new color scheme looks much better. I also noticed what appeared to be a ride supervisor, construction manager, and another Great Adventure staff member standing at the fence of the former Safari Tours. Of course, I immediately came to the conclusion that they were talking about plans for the vacant plot, but they could just be enjoying a casual conversation. Just something to keep an eye on, especially since a new/renovated kids area is being rumored as the park's next addition. 

IMG-3640.thumb.jpg.af9f2391409456fe61994822aad521ab.jpg

IMG-3641.thumb.jpg.c004fbab80ad587b24e41621b2e1f4a8.jpg

Taking all of this into consideration, the project is still very much active but the site of work itself is not. It is hard to pinpoint an exact date for construction to start up again, but I'd anticipate crews to start construction anywhere from Labor Day to the beginning of Hallowfest. I am still uncertain as to the status of the workers, however, whether some where furloughed or just refused to work at all due to the worsening pandemic. Nonetheless, I really hope that construction can start again soon so that JDC will hopefully be ready to go around opening day of the park or spring break

Edited by XENITH
  • Like 3

maybe they turning the half of safari kids into a forest themed area nitro gets a scary forest themed and congo rapids be about rapids into a forest with scary monsters around you as you splash

Edited by harry2004

I've canoed in the Pine Barrens, they should do something with that, even if it means that's the only thing they do for the season

• Like 1

I hate not being able to link my source due to conflicts with my job, but pre-pandemic I am almost positive a family coaster was planned for the area. Would explain the construction manager and staff inspecting the area. Take this with a grain of salt, though.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, joeyc98 said:

I hate not being able to link my source due to conflicts with my job, but pre-pandemic I am almost positive a family coaster was planned for the area. Would explain the construction manager and staff inspecting the area. Take this with a grain of salt, though.

well they did remove Road Runner Express. I think a new Vekoma SFC would be cool next to Jersey Devil (I was originally putting it where the old splash pad was in Adventure Rivers, but that is apart of Jersey Devil's queue now I believe)

5 hours ago, Pineracer said:

well they did remove Road Runner Express. I think a new Vekoma SFC would be cool next to Jersey Devil (I was originally putting it where the old splash pad was in Adventure Rivers, but that is apart of Jersey Devil's queue now I believe)

They could probably maneuver a family invert of sorts throughout Safari Kids, something rather basic like Freedom Flyer would be cool. If they don’t go the inverted route, I could see something like a Runaway Tram in this area. They could probably fit a ride like Runaway Tram mostly in the Safari Tours plot no problem. 

Road Runner Railway remains in storage at the park, so it is likely not being relocated to another park. If I had to guess though, it will be relocated to Bugs Bunny National Park rather than Safari Kids. This way, they can open up more space for the kids area revamp in Safari Kids. Would love to see a Timber Town theme to tie in with JDC nicely, get some Pine Barren sprinkles here and there to bring everything to cohesion.  
image.thumb.jpeg.ef30124458285326e9eb011e7526bdc8.jpeg

Edited by XENITH

It's official! It has been ONE YEAR since JERSEY DEVIL COASTER leaked via NJ.com. All of those months of teasing and anticipation finally led to an answer with this twisted scream machine of a coaster. It has been an incredible journey over the last 1+ years now keeping tabs on all of the teasers and markings showing up around the park, which leads us to today where the coaster's structure is over 50% complete and the coaster should be ready to open next year! What do you think the best element on the coaster will be?

six-flags-great-adventure-jersey-devil-coaster-neu-2020-artwork-first-drop.thumb.jpg.2747ae1e97f22bb54254556aa0f17add.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, Saturday will be the ultimate moment of truth to answer the question of whether construction on JDC has resumed coming off of Labor Day weekend. What's everyone thinking? If you don't think work has started yet, when do you think it will resume again?

I think it’s probable that they will push off restarting construction until after the first of the year when a new fiscal calendar year begins.  Hopefully we won’t have to wait until Memorial Day weekend for the coaster to open in 2021. Even more so, hopefully the park will be open before Memorial Day 2021. Anything is possible these days.  

• Like 3

They do say you can build a Raptor rather quick and they are already halfway done and everything is on site now.

• Like 1