• Announcements

• 29yrswithaGApass

Important Log-In Info for Existing Members   09/11/2017

Recently our Forums and Galleries were updated.  If you are an existing member please be sure to use your DISPLAY NAME to log in.  Your DISPLAY NAME is the name that other members and guests see on the forums.  The prior version had both LOG-IN NAME and DISPLAY NAME.  LOG-IN NAME is no longer used on the new version of the forums.  Your password hasn't changed.
Up_Up_and_Away

Misc GA Mumblings

16 hours ago, NewJerseyCoasters said:

There is no proof of a new president for great adventure as they denyed that this is happening and say that if it was an announcement would have been made.

You sure?  I was just sent an email of him saying he was going to Magic Mountain.

This final week for HITP won't be very good, with unusually cold temps below freezing every day. With the likely snow this Saturday I won't be surprised if the final weekend is simply cancelled. Also with the subfreezing temps, many of the coasters may not be operating. Hopefully this cold year will not make the park want to slash the number of operating days for HITP next year. 

Edited by The Master

It sounds like the temperatures didn't stop the coasters from running except Joker. Coasterbill posted on another site Nitro was operating tonight with it 19 degrees out. That is amazing of the park to be willing to run the coaster with it being so cold. I knew they ran the coasters below freezing but never would have thought outdoor coasters would be running much under 25 let alone 20 degrees. Even though I would really like to get there for 1 last trip, I'm worried about the chance of snow (not at the park but on the drive to there or back home) and not sure how many rides I would want to go to in that weather. Maybe 1 lap on each of the outdoor coasters and spend most of the time at TDK, Skull Mountain and Justice League. Of course once I actually got there, I probably force myself to ride Nitro multiple times especially with it likely being a walk on.

• Like 1

At those temps combined with the windchill, it is dangerous to ride coasters several times and risk frostbite. It is dangerous cold out. Also would not be surprised if many of those coasters are being operated outside of their original design parameters in such extreme cold. 

I was starting to reconsider if I would go to the park in this weather or not after walking around the shopping outlets in the Poconos today that is like an outdoor mall. It was 8 degrees out and after a few minutes outside, I wanted to get inside a store. It was also reported that SFNE was operating Mind Eraser in 10 degree weather. It's almost a game to see how low the temperature can get to before Six Flags finally decides it's too cold for the coasters to run.

Its pretty crazy. I really would like to go to the park but it is just too cold outside. Back on Christmas day, I had a bottle of thin model train oil in the trunk of my car and in gelled in the 25 minute drive to see family. 

Also regarding the cold temps, I would imagine it is difficult for staff working outdoors to keep warm when it got down to 20 degrees.

Today it got above 40 degrees and feels downright balmy!  It's supposed to get up to 60 this weekend, but with some rain.  Bring on the new season!

Yeah it would be tough for the ride ops, especially since GADV is cheap on their operating booths. At Dorney, most of their coasters have enclosed control booths with HVAC systems. 

The only outdoor coasters at Great Adventure with an enclosed control booth are The Joker and Superman however only The Joker's booth has an HVAC system from what I know. Batman's station which is enclosed sometimes has air conditioning, but unfortunately, it's usually turned off making it very hot in there.

I myself was happy to be sent to Joker or Buccaneer on the cold days. No Big Wheel for HITP meant that I only had two rides with an enclosed booth! I think I went through at least 10 packs of hand warmers in the last few operating days lol 

Part of the 2018 calendar has been posted (just April, May and June). https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/plan-your-visit/park-operating-schedule

The park is open until 9 instead of 8 during Spring Break week (except Easter Sunday). Once daily operations start, there are no more 6:00 or 7:00 closings on weekdays in late May and early June.

Great White at Moreys also has an enclosed control booth, not sure about Sea Serpent and Nor Easter. 

3 hours ago, The Master said:

Great White at Moreys also has an enclosed control booth, not sure about Sea Serpent and Nor Easter. 

Both Sea Serpent and Nor'easter have enclosed control booths.

2 hours ago, The Master said:

Brick from The Middle would find this interesting. 

Because if you can talk to someone about fonts, you can talk about anything!

• Haha 1