Up_Up_and_Away

Misc GA Mumblings

Planning on going to the park tomorrow for my second visit of the season. The weather looks good mostly sunny with a high of 48 which isn't too too cold. 

The park was packed today.  There were a lot of schools and camps.  A lot of rides were down too (Nitro, Ka, etc).  They are installing Cyborg’s lighting package as I post this too.

It was pretty crowded at first today, but it thinned out quickly when the sun began to set and the temps dropped. Nitro and Mine Train broke down. The Skyscreamer also broke down but did reopen. It was pretty windy which was probably why the Skyride and Parachutes were closed. KK was also closed but it was test running. I saw it rollback empty once, the first time I have seen a rollback in person. Houdini was also closed, even though the cool weather would have made it a good day for it to be open. TDK was also not running its preshow and some of the effects were not working.  There were lots of extra bratty little kids today that just ran past or pushed adults in line. Many of the queue videos had way out of sync audio. 

I was actually in line in the station of kingda ka when it rolled back with people on it. Second time I saw it happen with people on it. They had to roll the train back into the station and the riders got the chance to wait to ride again. After a while they sent another train which also rolled back then the next one made it and it reopened.

I was by the fort when the rollback  I saw happened. Saw it was slowing down and not going to make it over the apex. 

On 4/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, Lemur said:

Houdini is apparently getting a refurb.  Hasn't opened yet.

Just curious, is this speculation or did you hear from an employee? I don't doubt it needs it, last time I was there in November the Houdini head was not operating so we just got a disembodied voice. I'd be up for them updating the pre-show with some more modern effects but that might be a stretch. Anyone know any more info on this?

I'd be curious to know when they plan on opening Houdini again. I've finally convinced one of my friends who isn't super into big roller coasters to give Six Flags Great Adventure a shot and Houdini was one of the unique non-coaster rides we told her she has to check out. Our trip is planned for May 5 which seems tight for a refurb depending on its extent... I'm hoping this was started in January and not April? I'll feel a bit bad if it ends up being closed but I do think she'd still enjoy herself.

8 minutes ago, fs76 said:

Just curious, is this speculation or did you hear from an employee? I don't doubt it needs it, last time I was there in November the Houdini head was not operating so we just got a disembodied voice. I'd be up for them updating the pre-show with some more modern effects but that might be a stretch. Anyone know any more info on this?

I'd be curious to know when they plan on opening Houdini again. I've finally convinced one of my friends who isn't super into big roller coasters to give Six Flags Great Adventure a shot and Houdini was one of the unique non-coaster rides we told her she has to check out. Our trip is planned for May 5 which seems tight for a refurb depending on its extent... I'm hoping this was started in January and not April? I'll feel a bit bad if it ends up being closed but I do think she'd still enjoy herself.

Hi, Welcome to the club.

I'm sorry but I know nothing. Just thought I would say hi and welcome

1 hour ago, fs76 said:

J I've finally convinced one of my friends who isn't super into big roller coasters to give Six Flags Great Adventure a shot and Houdini was one of the unique non-coaster rides we told her she has to check out. 

The lack of shows and flat rides are what keeps many of my friends and family away, as well. They will go to WDW with us--but I can't drag them to Six Flags at all.  I realize that Six Flags is all about cheap tickets and marketing to a certain demographic, but they are missing several market segments with their shortsightedness.  

• Like 2

More flats would be good, I like that they have been trying to correct that over the last 6 or so years. I remember there was some amount of time when Red Zone purposely closed rides like Tango and Houdini to save money and removed many flats and if someone went early or late in the season without water rides open (around 2008 or 2009), the only non kiddie rides totaled to under 10. Skyway, Jolly Roger, Buccaneer, Fantasy Fling, Parachutes, Twister, Tea Cups, Motion Simulator, Carousel.

2 hours ago, scott said:

Hi, Welcome to the club.

I'm sorry but I know nothing. Just thought I would say hi and welcome

Thanks! Just figured I'd see if anyone knew any details or had asked.

51 minutes ago, rj1972 said:

The lack of shows and flat rides are what keeps many of my friends and family away, as well. They will go to WDW with us--but I can't drag them to Six Flags at all.  I realize that Six Flags is all about cheap tickets and marketing to a certain demographic, but they are missing several market segments with their shortsightedness.  

AGREED! I'd love for them to add some shows...I actually was thinking they could have a DC stunt show and then I saw on here they did in the past. I actually just went to WDW with this friend in October. In all honesty I'd love to see Six Flags do some more strategically placed dark rides. Might be an unrealistic hope for budget and perhaps space issues, but I feel like they'd bring in some more people who would otherwise not go and also work for families and kids. The reason I say strategically placed is it can be cold during Holiday in the Park and I feel like being able to dash quickly to a ride that's heated would be a plus (or even AC on hot days). Additionally, there would be more to do if it started raining during your visit. I also think an indoor coaster that is fast (probably needs to be launched for that) would be cool too...though admittedly that might not appeal to their missing market.

I actually think they should be careful with flat rides to an extent. They may help move a lot of people but I don't know that they necessarily bring in new guests and more income unless if they are truly unique. Plus, how long are they unique? We are the first in North America getting Cyborg this year but how long until parks on the boardwalk get a copy under a different name? Why pay the $50/$75 for Six Flags when you can just go down the shore and pay a couple of bucks per flat ride until you get your fill? That may be the mindset of people who aren't big on roller coasters. It really depends on the goal, I feel like more flat rides may help alleviate long lines but I'm not sure that they'll bring in markets they are missing.

With that said, I realize flat rides are probably way cheaper than dark rides and we are more likely to get flat rides. I just think if they were able to invest in a few unique dark rides over the years that might bring more markets in because they can't experience those somewhere else locally. My mind may just still be stuck at Disney but Six Flags gave me some hope for that with Battle for Metropolis. Whether or not they'll follow up with more remains to be seen.

All very good points and insight.

I don’t know what GA has done to their shows over the years, but they have none other than during Fright Fest and HITP.  Throw people in a large theatre and sell them overpriced snacks and beverages while they enjoy a show in the shade to cool down. 

We enjoy seeing the street shows in World Showcase at EPCOT, as do the thousands of other people that frequent them. 

I can't believe some of the wait times Queue Times is showing. 30 minutes for the carousel and 45 minutes for the Tea Cups? That sounds like Fright Fest crowd level wait times.

Pardon the language, but today was an absolute s*** fest!

I suspected that it would be crowded, as the result of the nice weather, but I had no idea that they were going to be so short staffed today.  It made me appreciate being a SixFlags shareholder, but did not make me appreciate being a SixFlags customer.

The gates opened around 10:20,  so I hightailed it over to Nitro.  Sure to form, Nora was in charge of the ride, and it did not open until 10:50.  Of course her passive aggressive nature must’ve told her not to send an employee down to the gate to inform the customers as to the status of the attraction.  Once we arrived into the station, she told us that we needed to wait until all the cues were filled. That did not go over well with some of the customers. Regardless, I was able to get two rides on nitro before it went back down. It’s seemed to go up and down all day. In fact, I was in the line again at 6:30 when they had further mechanical issues, so decided it was time  to call it a day. 

After nitro, I headed over to the flash pass center to retrieve my flash pass, only to find that the line was out the front door due to all of the diamond and diamond elite members picking up their line skip vouchers. It took me 90  minutes to obtain my flash pass. One lady in the queue verbally lashed out at the flash pass associates. It was extremely uncalled for, but she wanted her diamond skip past, and felt it unwarranted to have to wait as long as she did. You would’ve thought that American Express bestowed a centurion card on her, and she was unhappy with a benefit.  I can’t say that I disagreed with her feelings, but her tactless handling of the situation was unnecessary. Granted, some of the flash pass associates in the back room could have helped the three young ladies that were working the counter, but Six Flags is not exactly known for their high level of customer service. 

El Toro also had intermittent mechanical issues throughout the day,  so I finally decided to put myself into a Safari vehicle, and make the most of it.  At least, that was my hope. There was a family behind me who talked over the guide during the entire experience. Not only did they talk over the guide, but they were extremely loud. Not that it matters,  but they were speaking Spanish, so culturally, they may have not thought twice about it.

Then there were the food concession lines. I don’t know too many of them that were under an hour wait, including Rita’s. The challenge is that not all of the dining establishments were open. It looks like Cold Stone is gone, and Go Fresh by Nitro is being converted to a Primo Pasta kiosk. The  only remaining Go Fresh was closed today. I did wait a little over an hour for Macho Nacho, but that was about all the wait I could stomach. Even the beverage kiosks had lengthily lines.

It definitely was not one of my better days, and I certainly hope they remedy the flash pass debacle. I did speak to Len about it, so we shall see if they come up with a better solution for the Diamond members to obtain their line skip passes. It certainly does not make sense to agitate families spending hundreds of dollars for a daily family flash pass. Didn’t management realize how many Diamond memberships they sold, and the ramifications it may cause to the Flas Pass headquarters?

Needless to say that I’m not rushing back to the park anytime soon.

• Like 1

Honestly, operations have gone downhill this year compared to last year. Staffing seems to be one of the main issues but it is always a problem with the spring season and after Fright Fest.

That sounds horrible. It's too bad they can't just load the line skip passes onto the membership card automatically and scan that at the ride, like the dining pass.

• Like 1

That is disappointing news. Seems like quality is on the decline in general for the whole amusement industry. 

On 4/13/2018 at 12:44 PM, fs76 said:

Read it on one of the Facebook groups that has some insiders and park rats, so take it with a grain of salt.  No timetable for reopen, which kills me as I freaking love this ride.  It really is a pretty unique ride.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:08 PM, Yoshi said:

That sounds horrible. It's too bad they can't just load the line skip passes onto the membership card automatically and scan that at the ride, like the dining pass.

Yes.  This was my exact fear with these new perks on the busy days.  Wait 90 minutes here to get a pass for a ride with a 60 minutes line.  They seriously need to get this sort of thing worked out. 

13 hours ago, The Master said:

That is disappointing news. Seems like quality is on the decline in general for the whole amusement industry. 

All reports I read from this weekend read like horror stories.  I sincerely hope they can get the staffing levels up to where they need to be to get the park running smoothly.  I know it's tough when the college kids aren't home and they foreign workers aren't here yet.  I just fear they won't get the number of foreign workers they'd had in previous years.  Also, I really hope someone is taking note of all of this and coming up with some plans for the future.

On 4/27/2018 at 6:56 PM, Six Flags FUN! said:

I'm going to the park on this Sunday, what is the weather for this Sunday?

It's gonna be partly cloudy with a high of 56.

Good thing about today is that overall operations have improved drastically since my last visit; basically "back to normal". There were more employees, food lines were shorter, more places were open, and rides weren't breaking down too much. Park surprisingly wasn't too crowded despite the nice weather.

Finally, the path has seemed to reopen from a plaza del Carnival to the Golden Kingdom.  Looks to be where Bloodsheds queue was.Qnoh3dnh.jpg

I heard they said that the path would open when the area was developed more. Apparently a construction wall from where Liberty Snacks was built is not closing off an area near the KK side of the path. Maybe that is the new area for expansion next year.

Finally rode Nitro for the first time this year on Friday after it was broken down on my previous trips. Only rode it twice before a female security guard barred me from my third ride saying keys are not allowed, which really pissed me off. So now they are enforcing no keys on KK, ET, and Nitro. I guess they have banned keys on all of their rides as the recorded safety message at the skyride now says keys are not allowed on that, WTF? The park is getting f'ing ridiculous with this policy. Seems all they can think of is how to make the park experience increasingly inconvenient, they are getting worse than an airport. Over regulation is very bad, especially for a business. 

It would seem difficult to ban keys on the Skyway. Even if someone gets a locker for keys near Skull Mountain or (log flume if open at the other station, or they use the lockers at Bizarro), many people use it as a transportation ride and won't be back to that section of the park for a while if at all that day. It also is strange that keys wouldn't be allowed when that is one of the few rides in the park that allows on ride pictures and video, a phone being held seems more dangerous than keys, not that I want the park to stop allowing pictures to be taken while riding.

Do they still allow phones to be brought into the line for Nitro?