Jump to content
Up_Up_and_Away

Misc GA Mumblings

Recommended Posts

 

18 hours ago, Viper26 said:

Do they still allow phones to be brought into the line for Nitro?

 

Nope. I went on Saturday and had my phone in my pocket. The security guard stopped me despite not being able to visibly see my phone and told me it had to be in a zippered or buttoned pocket. I guess he saw an outline in my pocket but why are you looking that closely? So dumb because I know from experience the restraints will hold my phone in my pocket. If they are worried about photos or videos and people dropping their phones...I don’t see how a button or zipper prevents that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's been the policy for years for all the major coasters then last year it changed at Kingda Ka, El Toro and Joker to not allow any items even if they are in a button or zippered pocket.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep my keys in my back pocket so they won't be able to see it. I never bring my phone into the park though because I'm afraid it would either fall out or they would see it and I wouldn't be able to ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have zippered pocket shorts that I only wear to parks (so they don't get worn out) or jackets with zippered pockets to avoid any problems. I don't trust buttons or velcro pockets especially on rides with a lot of inversions or air time.  The only bad thing is zippered pocket shorts can be difficult to find and also being able to find ones that can hold a phone. wallet and keys in a side cargo pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoshi said:

That's been the policy for years for all the major coasters then last year it changed at Kingda Ka, El Toro and Joker to not allow any items even if they are in a button or zippered pocket.

I have yet to see a security guard stand at the entrance for The Joker telling riders the no phones/keys rule that is done at El Toro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Viper26 said:

I have yet to see a security guard stand at the entrance for The Joker telling riders the no phones/keys rule that is done at El Toro.

So fare every time I have gone on The Joker an employee (not security) is standing there asking if anyone has a phone or keys on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the park again Sunday and there was only one guard for Nitro standing over by the lockers. On Friday, there were three guards screening everybody at the queue entrance for Nitro.

Also noticed GADV has new bicycle mounted security zooming though the park like Dorney has had for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF is all this about a "no keys" rule for the rides?Usually when I go to a park the ONLY things I have on me is a season pass and my car keys.....is SF trying to force more people to pay for the lockers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ericthewanderer said:

WTF is all this about a "no keys" rule for the rides?Usually when I go to a park the ONLY things I have on me is a season pass and my car keys.....is SF trying to force more people to pay for the lockers? 

 

Keys hurt when they fly out of your pocket and hit people.  It's not about making money - a third party licenses the right to operate lockers there so SF already got paid.  It's about SF lowering their litigation risks and insurance premiums.  If people don't bring keys or cell phones onto rides, they can't fly out of hands/pockets and fewer people will injured.

 

 

Edited by Lemur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that it is about safety but it's just ridiculous that it seems like eventually it's going to come down to the point that unless you get a locker you won't be able to enjoy yourself and get on all the rides. 9/10 people are probably going to either have a phone or keys on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lemur said:

 

Keys hurt when they fly out of your pocket and hit people.  It's not about making money - a third party licenses the right to operate lockers there so SF already got paid.  It's about SF lowering their litigation risks and insurance premiums.  If people don't bring keys or cell phones onto rides, they can't fly out of hands/pockets and fewer people will injured.

 

 

 

The park tried free lockers for one year before they switched to pay lockers. Even Universal offers free lockers for their no lose item policy. Money and greed are major motivations behind GADV's policy as well as their new membership program. Over regulation causes many more problems than it solves and consumers disliked being hassled. It is simply bad customer service and it keeps getting worse. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Six's stock price is down nearly 8% YTD, so they need to scrape every penny they can out of customers.  The memberships will certainly help, but the lockers have me perplexed. 

 

I usually wear cargo shorts with button or zippered pockets, so my phone goes in one, and my keys in the other. Never a hassle with the ride operators or security personnel who love to wield their authority. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 1:31 AM, ericthewanderer said:

WTF is all this about a "no keys" rule for the rides?Usually when I go to a park the ONLY things I have on me is a season pass and my car keys.....is SF trying to force more people to pay for the lockers? 

With today's modern key fobs, you aren't just dealing with the keys themselves.  Many of those fobs are big and have a lot of mass to them.  My fob for my Ford Escape is massive since it has buttons for remote start and remote tailgate close/open.  I shutter to think of my keys and fob coming out of my pocket and hitting someone as I ride over 60 mph on a roller coaster.

 

That being said, my keys are buried in my shorts pocket, which has a velcroed flap to seal it, so I don't see any circumstance where the keys could come out, even under negative G loads.  But not every patron wears those type of shorts.

Edited by dougdrummer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sick of handing over a dollar whenever I wanna Ride Ka, Toro, Joker, And now Nitro.  It’s ridiculous that certain people that can’t stay off their stupid phones while they’re in line, or on a ride.  I always wear zippered pocket shorts, which is the pocket I keep everything in.  I really wish that they wouldn’t make you buy a locker if you had zippered, buttoned, or Velcroed pockets.  I have seen people with their phones out on all four of these rides, and it’s a shame that they have to ruin it for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, coliwood_studios said:

I’m sick of handing over a dollar whenever I wanna Ride Ka, Toro, Joker, And now Nitro.  It’s ridiculous that certain people that can’t stay off their stupid phones while they’re in line, or on a ride.  I always wear zippered pocket shorts, which is the pocket I keep everything in.  I really wish that they wouldn’t make you buy a locker if you had zippered, buttoned, or Velcroed pockets.  I have seen people with their phones out on all four of these rides, and it’s a shame that they have to ruin it for everyone.

 

Keep in mind you are an enthusiast who frequents amusement parks, and enthusiasts probably make up less than 10% of those that attend.   A large percentage of people only visit these amusement parks once a year, probably on a class or organization trip of some sort.  And having seen the outfits some of these people wear, I can guarantee you they are not prepared to secure their phones or keys on rides.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was flying over the park this past Tuesday (5/8) and noticed a large swath of trees recently cleared from the back woods, adjacent to the safari area.  Does anyone know what this could be for?  I'm thinking a solar farm?  See the photos below:

 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1F92NfzMh4N_QO8TOBsq2sdxAD_INH7jy?usp=sharing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Flyin Phil said:

I was flying over the park this past Tuesday (5/8) and noticed a large swath of trees recently cleared from the back woods, adjacent to the safari area.  Does anyone know what this could be for?  I'm thinking a solar farm?  See the photos below:

 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1F92NfzMh4N_QO8TOBsq2sdxAD_INH7jy?usp=sharing

 

Yep, that should be the solar farm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2018 at 8:06 AM, Squidy2201 said:

I heard they said that the path would open when the area was developed more. Apparently a construction wall from where Liberty Snacks was built is not closing off an area near the KK side of the path. Maybe that is the new area for expansion next year.

 

The fence is just blocking off where the Bloodshed terror trail is.

 

However, Splashwater Oasis is also surrounded by a fence

Edited by Matt Kaiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Matt Kaiser said:

 

The fence is just blocking off where the Bloodshed terror trail is.

 

However, Splashwater Oasis is also surrounded by a fence

Splashwater Oasis is removed from the Park app as well. Future expansion area definitely. An original themed coaster again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 2:03 AM, The Master said:

 

The park tried free lockers for one year before they switched to pay lockers. Even Universal offers free lockers for their no lose item policy. Money and greed are major motivations behind GADV's policy as well as their new membership program. Over regulation causes many more problems than it solves and consumers disliked being hassled. It is simply bad customer service and it keeps getting worse. 

 

No, they *licensed out the right to rent lockers to a third party vendor*.  SF already got paid.  They get paid whether you use their locker or not.  As for the rest of your rant ... it's a publicly listed company.  Their job is to make money for their shareholders first and foremost, make you happy second.  And I'm not sure how you're equating a locker policy with over regulation with the amusement industry has no Federal oversight and even in NJ - which has some of the toughest laws for the industry - there are no loose article laws stating that articles must be placed in a locker, merely that patrons must follow the safety directives of the park.  Do you know what's even worse customer service than making sure you lose neither lose your $700+ phone or the keys to your ride home?  Having someone's nose or eye socket broken on one of your rides.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 1:47 PM, Tbone112499 said:

Splashwater Oasis is removed from the Park app as well. Future expansion area definitely. An original themed coaster again?

 

Hopefully a family flat so there's something else to do in that area that appeals to a larger audience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lemur said:

 

No, they *licensed out the right to rent lockers to a third party vendor*.  SF already got paid.  They get paid whether you use their locker or not.  As for the rest of your rant ... it's a publicly listed company.  Their job is to make money for their shareholders first and foremost, make you happy second.  And I'm not sure how you're equating a locker policy with over regulation with the amusement industry has no Federal oversight and even in NJ - which has some of the toughest laws for the industry - there are no loose article laws stating that articles must be placed in a locker, merely that patrons must follow the safety directives of the park.  Do you know what's even worse customer service than making sure you lose neither lose your $700+ phone or the keys to your ride home?  Having someone's nose or eye socket broken on one of your rides.  

 

 

As I said, one year they did have free lockers up in the stations that only opened for the matching train, next year they were replaced with pay lockers. Plus the 3rd party must make money, or they won't renew their lease which means SF stops getting money.  If a company fails to make consumers happy, they won't be making money for long with WOM which is more powerful than ever with the internet. Plus there are business and marketing ethics against bait and swich tactics and not disclosing full details prior to an exchange. 

 

I was referring to corporate overregulation. Overregulation in general is a very bad thing, as is under regulation. Finding a balance is tricky. But yes, at SF, I do feel like I am being needlessly burden with excessive and trivial regulations and rules. When I go to Hersheypark, I don't have to worry about having keys, wallet, or soda unlike with GADV which reduces my satisfaction with the park. In general, overregulation is a band aid for poor management and leadership. The number one goal of an ethical company is to provide all stakeholders (consumers, shareholders, business partners, etc) with maximun value. Unethical firms harms consumers and the entire market to make a quick buck and dash off. 

 

Consumers need to take responsibility too. Such as not taking a stupid overpriced phone into a park and pay for any damages they cause. People can and still do spit on rides and they can transmit dieses into other guests that way. Should the park force all riders to buy and wear anti spiting mouth gags? Opps, just gave SF another money maker. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last weekend i just got hit in the face with someones hat from skull mountain.  Sometimes i think they focus on the wrong things and the the obvious ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at the park on Sunday and they did a couple of strange things. First they did not have any of the no bag express lanes open at security. Everyone had to wait in a big airport style queue for the bag lanes, even if they did not have bags which sucked. Second thing is they started a no eye glasses policy on El Toro, but at least they have a free bin for glasses up in the station. 

Edited by The Master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×