Up_Up_and_Away

Misc GA Mumblings

They are probably very restricted by NJ with how much their private security can do.

you are probably right but I scratch my head when I think about it. Six Flags should be able to run their private security as lax or as strict as they want inside the park. Its not like NJ is providing local police to patrol the park. If I am paying to enter the park I would want a more strict security vs one that just carries around a broom and picks up cig butts. God forbid something actually went down in the park that could have been prevented buy simply having security guards that aren't afraid to lay down the law/rules, Who would have the figures pointed at them? Six flags for having lazy security or will Six flags turn around and point at the state of NJ and say "well under NJ ruling we can only do such and such" its crazy to me. The issue is there are too many people out there ready to slap a law suite on someone because they looked at them the wrong way. Bunch of sissies if you ask me

end rant

^ You seem to have an agenda, but there's really no use in blaming the government here. During the Red Zone era just a few years ago, security had a much stronger presence and it's undeniable that guest behavior improved a lot. The recent cuts to training and numbers were clearly to save money, and not because of regulation.

I will surly be jinxing myself but I have to say I haven't run into any poorly behaved people or groups for quite a long time. I cant say I never have but I cant think of any instances either so if I did it want memorable. I would love it if I didn't hear 15 and 16 year olds walking through the park cursing with every other word that comes out their mouth.

On the 31st my wife was waiting at the Superman picture booth and saw security coming to look at a picture of guests who had their phones out during the ride. They took pictures of the guests and were going tout to look for them. I don't know if they found them or if anything happened if they did find them but security was looking into it.

Over the weekend I noticed six flags over Texas had signs in the queues with a number to call to report line cutting, does great adventure have this? I don't recall seeing anything like that.

^ You seem to have an agenda, but there's really no use in blaming the government here. During the Red Zone era just a few years ago, security had a much stronger presence and it's undeniable that guest behavior improved a lot. The recent cuts to training and numbers were clearly to save money, and not because of regulation.

not blaming the government. My remark was based off the situation that if NJ is stepping in. I honestly cant see why they would but it could be possible. The more plausible situation is like you said, money saving.

the only reason the idea of NJ stepping in might come is because they seem to have their hands on a lot of other things that happen inside the park. Its just an idea/situartion that I wouldn't rule out 100%

Edited by Mrpq

Over the weekend I noticed six flags over Texas had signs in the queues with a number to call to report line cutting, does great adventure have this? I don't recall seeing anything like that.

I don't think so. But in the App survey, they mentioned some feature like messaging security, which is genius. Because if somebody cuts in front of me, I'm not going to pick up my phone and call that number, with them standing 2 inches in front of me.

I don't think so. But in the App survey, they mentioned some feature like messaging security, which is genius. Because if somebody cuts in front of me, I'm not going to pick up my phone and call that number, with them standing 2 inches in front of me.

Absolutely agree. They could have a phone number to text, a lot of the sporting arenas around here do that.

I remember seeing Jackson police patrolling in the park several times during fright fest last year. One day had a car parked in front of security gate. Is this a partnership of some kind with GA or do they only come when an incident is reported? On top of that, one day during FF I saw 4 trooper cars blast through the lot responding to what appeared to be a fight in preferred parking. Wonder how it's decided what department is sent out?

The police car parked in front of the gate is I think a deterrent to let people know the police are there and maybe people who were going to cause problems might reconsider. I remember seeing it a few times last year.

There's police at the park more often then people think or notice. I think they're just noticed more on crowded days or holidays then a normal operation day because there are more of them at the park to be noticed.

They are a welcomed sight to see. Though I'm with Scott, I haven't seen much nonsense either other than some foul language and the occasional argument. Of course that's only in GA. HH on the other hand has given me many stories to tell and seems security there is even more non existent. I attribute that to overcrowding and sheer frustration with the patrons. I've stepped in for social justice more than once there because security was nowhere to be found or slow to respond. I've said in another thread that adding more chairs could make a tremendous impact on the mood of the crowd.

I honestly couldn't care less if people are cursing, as long as it's not right around little kids. But people smoking, that's one of the biggest things.

To me smoking is the worst thing. Is it really that hard to smoke in the designated area.

If it was my choice, and I HAD to have smoking sections, I'd have them all in closed doors so nobody else has to smell it/breath it in. That, and security guards who do their jobs.

• Like 1

I'm 100% biased because I am a (e-cig) smoker, but smoking should be very low on the totem pole of security issues compared to violence, vandalism, theft, etc... I'd even put line jumping in that group as well. Most smokers violating policy usually do so on the edge of walkways, with such small traces of smoke getting to other guests that it has 0 effect. It isn't like we are talking about chronic second-hand smoke inhalation from a family member who smokes indoors. You'd have to by right next to them for an extended period of time to even have the smell on your clothes. I just feel non-smokers go way overboard and dramatic with the issue. Crucifying vape smokers is especially ridiculous.

/rant

Edit- As far as smoking goes, tobacco isn't the main issue for the park IMO. Walking through the parking lot last year for Fright Fest was like being at a Wiz Khalifa concert. I have no issue with people who decide to smoke weed, but having kids walk through clouds of weed cannot be allowed and must be cracked down on.

Edited by Nitro1118

^ To me the problem with smoking is having to smell it while walking around the park. I know it won't have any lingering effects but the smell is really unpleasant to me so I just hold my breath until I pass by it but it's still an inconvenience. It also probably serves as a bad example for families with children in the park.

I think Smoking should only be allowed in the back corner of the parking lot

TBH, I'd ban smoking at every Six Flags property. (Park, Waterpark, Backstage, Parking)

Crucifying vape smokers is especially ridiculous.

to me there is a huge difference between e smokers and "vapers" if you are an e smoker and smoking e cigs for the reasons it was intended,than fine no issues at all. "vapers" on the other hand that blow clouds of smoke that can put a smoke machine to shame are annoying

its a very touchy issue in my opinion and I am non smoker

I vape too and also find it annoying when someone does it out of designated areas. Especially the big cloud makers. When the situation warrants it I'll approach and say hey, just a heads up. I got thrown out last week for that. GA is cracking down. Ruined my day. Of course it's not true but solved the problem. Quick and polite.

• Like 1

About smokers smoking on the sideways or whatever you said. That's not true. A guy was with his family, smoking in front of the big wheel. And last year, there were 2 people smoking on the benches that you have to walk past (near golden kingdom, before Plaza Del something, lol). People who vape are just as bad because they think the no smoking rule doesn't apply to them (as seen on that Six Flags Facebook group that I left months ago), because you'll see them walking around the park smoking.

About smokers smoking on the sideways or whatever you said. That's not true. A guy was with his family, smoking in front of the big wheel. And last year, there were 2 people smoking on the benches that you have to walk past (near golden kingdom, before Plaza Del something, lol). People who vape are just as bad because they think the no smoking rule doesn't apply to them (as seen on that Six Flags Facebook group that I left months ago), because you'll see them walking around the park smoking.

I never said there aren't people who decide to light up in the middle of the pathway. But many violators do try to stay out of the way.

And to everyone, I DO believe there should be designated areas for smoking. I just feel there are so many bigger security issues that need attention before the severe crackdown on smokers. And I do feel the menace of smoking in non-designated areas is really overblown. That's just me, though.

Everybody pushes an agenda. One of the reasons Dorney has armed guards is that PA is a shall issue state while NJ is supposed to be a may issue state but they historically only issue carry permits to current or retired LEOs. Dorney also has police besides armed guards. Not every guard at Dorney is armed with a sidearm, most just have batons, mace, and handcuffs, even those you would never see a GADV security guard carry. Dorney also has bicycle mounted and armed security guards patrolling their parking lot.

Even if NJ was a more lax shall issue state, SF probably would still have limited security. First is cost, well trained security guards aren't cheap, liability concerns, and the politics of the current SF management which is pro gun control as several of their executives volunteer for managing gun control groups. They probably would not even want to have guards armed with mace.

Having cops in the park helps but there are a few issues. Police aren't under the command of park management which has pros and cons. Police also aren't responsible for protecting or saving people, their only duty is protecting the peace, which they define as they see fit. Cops aren't going to respond to cases of line jumping, people smoking in no smoking areas, and cursing, it is private security who are supposed to respond to such minor cases. Police will only respond to cases which threaten the peace such as fist fights, if a weapon is drawn, riots, or something else major. However, they do have greater authority and immunity to detain and restrain unruly troublemakers. If the cops "mess up" it would be on their department rather than on the company. Point is the park can't just rely on police to makeup for a chastised security force.

Edited by The Master