Jump to content
Up_Up_and_Away

Misc GA Mumblings

Recommended Posts

I guess maybe if Great Adventure was in southern NJ, it would work out better for them to support a Philadelphia team. I remember when I saw this ad in the park in 2013, it was surprising, especially because their stadium is over an hour and a half away from Great Adventure.

IMG_0292.thumb.JPG.82f55ba46fb4fe7ea12bc47ae37d7aa7.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from Westchester County NY originally, so I am not a fan of any Phila sports team.  Their fans, particularly the Eagles fans, are among the most obnoxious in all of sports.  Although when the Phillies had their good run from 2007-2011, it was a horrible experience to go to CBP to watch them play my Mets.  Before that I could get any seat in the stadium and no one bothered me.

 

I equally dislike the Pats/Brady and the Eagles, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  In 2005, my older brother, a converted Eagle fan, burned his Eagle banner in his fireplace when they lost to the Pats.  Ironically just two days ago he ended up sitting behind no other person than Donovan McNabb on his flight back to Philadelphia.  Who can forget him chucking on the final drive?  LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I'm from the Philly area, I personally hate Philly sports teams. The fans aren't the worst but they can really over hype their teams as if it was their religion. Eagles fans are generally considered the most intimidating in the league and can get angered easily if they see another jersey at home games. Phillies fans can start violence towards Mets fans and The Sixers Trust the Process hype is very overrated and the current team needs to be consistently healthy if they want to be in the playoffs. New York fans can get crazy at times but it really depends on the teams and how they act.

 

For Great Adventure and New England doing a Super Bowl bet, I think it's not a bad idea even though most think Great Adventure is part of the NY area. I think its part of both areas. If not a bet with Dorney Park is logical but like Ocean County, the Lehigh Valley can be considered part of both Philly and NYC area but they lean towards Philly more. I doubt a bet with Hersheypark could happen as the area they're at seems to support Washington teams; the Hershey Bears minor league hockey team is also an affiliate of the Capitals.

 

Ocean County is very disputed when it comes to sports teams and generally anything below Toms River supports Philly teams. The county as a whole is part of South Jersey and both Philly and NYC areas and most towns in the county get news stations from both cities.

Edited by Viper26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Viper26 said:

Even though I'm from the Philly area, I personally hate Philly sports teams. The fans aren't the worst but they can really over hype their teams as if it was their religion. Eagles fans are generally considered the most intimidating in the league and can get angered easily if they see another jersey at home games. Phillies fans can start violence towards Mets fans and The Sixers Trust the Process hype is very overrated and the current team needs to be consistently healthy if they want to be in the playoffs. New York fans can get crazy at times but it really depends on the teams and how they act.

 

For Great Adventure and New England doing a Super Bowl bet, I think it's not a bad idea even though most think Great Adventure is part of the NY area. I think its part of both areas. If not a bet with Dorney Park is logical but like Ocean County, the Lehigh Valley can be considered part of both Philly and NYC area but they lean towards Philly more. I doubt a bet with Hersheypark could happen as the area they're at seems to support Washington teams; the Hershey Bears minor league hockey team is also an affiliate of the Capitals.

 

Ocean County is very disputed when it comes to sports teams and generally anything below Toms River supports Philly teams. The county as a whole is part of South Jersey and both Philly and NYC areas and most towns in the county get news stations from both cities.

 

well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great adventure is literally a mile outside of Eagles territory. It has everything to do with Comcast since they only broadcast  Philadelphia content. I believe Hawkins Rd (or close to it) which is just south of the park is the furthest north Comcast provides service before Cable Vision takes over and New York programming starts. The general rule of thumb I've always used was south of 195 are Eagles fans, north of 195 are Giant fans and we both don't care about the Jets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IBOK said:

Great adventure is literally a mile outside of Eagles territory. It has everything to do with Comcast since they only broadcast  Philadelphia content. I believe Hawkins Rd (or close to it) which is just south of the park is the furthest north Comcast provides service before Cable Vision takes over and New York programming starts. The general rule of thumb I've always used was south of 195 are Eagles fans, north of 195 are Giant fans and we both don't care about the Jets. 

 

I'm so pissed that I can't get NY sports team coverage because I live in Verizon's Phila market.  The only way I can get coverage is if I subscribe to the NFL, NBA, and MLB packages.  And no way in Hades am I giving them one more dime of my hard-earned money.  My bill is already well over $200 a month as it is, for 200 channels of mostly useless crap on FioS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dougdrummer said:

 

I'm so pissed that I can't get NY sports team coverage because I live in Verizon's Phila market.  The only way I can get coverage is if I subscribe to the NFL, NBA, and MLB packages.  And no way in Hades am I giving them one more dime of my hard-earned money.  My bill is already well over $200 a month as it is, for 200 channels of mostly useless crap on FioS.

 

Wanna trade?  I'm stuck with all of the NY teams and refuse to buy Center Ice just to watch the Flyers.  Back when I had Cabalvision (I have no idea what they're calling that now, BTW?  Altice?  Alice? Patrice?), I could at least get both the NY and Phila. news stations, which was always great for watching SEPTA buses slide down City Line Avenue during a snow storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Did anyone have the opportunity to attend Eastcoaster this past weekend?  I am curious if any new news was revealed.

 

I think Great Adventure might not have been in attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2018 at 5:04 PM, IBOK said:

Great adventure is literally a mile outside of Eagles territory. It has everything to do with Comcast since they only broadcast  Philadelphia content. I believe Hawkins Rd (or close to it) which is just south of the park is the furthest north Comcast provides service before Cable Vision takes over and New York programming starts. The general rule of thumb I've always used was south of 195 are Eagles fans, north of 195 are Giant fans and we both don't care about the Jets. 

 

GADV is physically closer to Philly than it is to NYC. In fact, I have seen the Philly skyline several times on clear days from both KK and Drop of Doom. Not sure if its possible to also see NYC from GADV even on a clear day since its further away. I think somebody here even said that ships on the Delaware river if they go far up north enough could see the parachute tower. Anymore, the Philly and NYC metro areas overlap a good bit and its fuzzy line at best. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Master said:

 

GADV is physically closer to Philly than it is to NYC. In fact, I have seen the Philly skyline several times on clear days from both KK and Drop of Doom. Not sure if its possible to also see NYC from GADV even on a clear day since its further away. I think somebody here even said that ships on the Delaware river if they go far up north enough could see the parachute tower. Anymore, the Philly and NYC metro areas overlap a good bit and its fuzzy line at best. 

 

 

The argument can be made that more people in Jackson commute to NYC than to Philadelphia, so it's culturally and economically tied more closely to NYC.  But yes, very fuzzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were at a party in King of Prussia for the SB.  We left just as the game ended and got home without incident, before the city burned down....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dougdrummer said:

We were at a party in King of Prussia for the SB.  We left just as the game ended and got home without incident, before the city burned down....lol

 

LOL SNL predicted the mayhem. Not that it was a stretch.

 

"...Philadelphians, you are overdue for a victory and I wish you all the best in your upcoming battle. But if you do win, please, be cool. Hey, just because the British don't burn your city doesn't mean you have to. Do we have an understanding?"

"Nope!!"

 

https://www.boston.com/news/tv/2018/02/04/snl-new-england-philadelphia-tina-fey-rachel-dratch

 

A little late but it was fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lemur said:

The argument can be made that more people in Jackson commute to NYC than to Philadelphia, so it's culturally and economically tied more closely to NYC.  But yes, very fuzzy.

 

To make things even more fuzzy, the Philly news stations do cover GADV from time to time. For awhile, 6ABC used to show HH's waterslides in their summer opening montage . GADV is a bi city park, as is Dorney which gets a lot of new yorkers anymore. Allentown, PA has a large NYC transplant population and the city gets both Philly and NYC stations. Hersheypark is also a two city park with Philly and Harrisburg. Several times I have seen Philly radio stations setup tents at Hershey. There is also a show called FYI Philly that covers the local events and things to do in the Philly area and they have been to all 3 parks plus Moreys. Its pretty common for parks to be attached to more than one metro sphere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Master said:

 

To make things even more fuzzy, the Philly news stations do cover GADV from time to time. For awhile, 6ABC used to show HH's waterslides in their summer opening montage . GADV is a bi city park, as is Dorney which gets a lot of new yorkers anymore. Allentown, PA has a large NYC transplant population and the city gets both Philly and NYC stations. Hersheypark is also a two city park with Philly and Harrisburg. Several times I have seen Philly radio stations setup tents at Hershey. There is also a show called FYI Philly that covers the local events and things to do in the Philly area and they have been to all 3 parks plus Moreys. Its pretty common for parks to be attached to more than one metro sphere. 

I find Hersheypark and the Harrisburg area to more associated with the Baltimore/Washington area more than the Philadelphia area. Its also closer to Baltimore than Philly by only a few miles. Even though they get mix between the two areas, a surprising majority of the guests during my visits to Hersheypark were from Maryland and wore stuff representing the area such as Orioles, Ravens, Redskins, and UMD apparel but there still a decent amount of people wearing Eagles, Penn State, etc. Stations from both Baltimore and Washington DC have covered footage at Hersheypark many times and I have heard a few commercials for the park on the radio in Anne Arundel County near BWI Airport and Annapolis. The Hershey Bears hockey team are more associated with Washington DC more than Philadelphia because it's the minor league affiliate of the Washington Capitals. 

 

As for the Lehigh Valley, they are more associated with Philly than NYC even though a lot of the population moving into the area is from New York. Philly stations cover the area more than New York and the furthest NY stations cover there is near the Delaware Water Gap and Phillipsburg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Viper26 said:

I find Hersheypark and the Harrisburg area to more associated with the Baltimore/Washington area more than the Philadelphia area. Its also closer to Baltimore than Philly by only a few miles. Even though they get mix between the two areas, a surprising majority of the guests during my visits to Hersheypark were from Maryland and wore stuff representing the area such as Orioles, Ravens, Redskins, and UMD apparel but there still a decent amount of people wearing Eagles, Penn State, etc. Stations from both Baltimore and Washington DC have covered footage at Hersheypark many times and I have heard a few commercials for the park on the radio in Anne Arundel County near BWI Airport and Annapolis. The Hershey Bears hockey team are more associated with Washington DC more than Philadelphia because it's the minor league affiliate of the Washington Capitals. 

 

As for the Lehigh Valley, they are more associated with Philly than NYC even though a lot of the population moving into the area is from New York. Philly stations cover the area more than New York and the furthest NY stations cover there is near the Delaware Water Gap and Phillipsburg.

 

I meant that Allentown recieves receptation from both cities. Years ago I stayed overnight at the hotel outside of Dorney and it had both sets of Philly and NYC stations. I imanage households there can too. 

 

As for Hershey, they get a good share of New Yorkers too. Remember one trip there about half the people had Virginia accents and the other half had New Yorker accents. Hershey gets a lot of Virginians too. Of course the park is a big draw and a resort so it sould not be a surprise that there is wide range of different guests there. Same with Wildwood. 

 

A few times on the PA turnpike there will be a billboard where the eastbound side has a GADV and the westbound side of the vary same billboard will have Hersheypark. In the summer there can be a very large number of NY cars on the PA turnpike. Several times the Wendys next to Dorney will have  Hershey coupons. Plus Hershey does run TV ads on Philly stations and have billboards as far east as NJ suburbs of Philly. 

 

As for Balto and DC, they also have SFA which is the next closest SF park to GADV with Hershey about half the distance of SFA to GADV. Marketers for all the local parks probably have the metro area circles all mapped  out for their ads.  It would be pretty dumb to ignore any cities that are  within a days driving distance. 

 

I wonder if you can see GADV from the observation deck of Liberity One in Philly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like construction might start on the new water treatment plant this year.

 

http://dodgeprojects.construction.com/Six-Flags-Great-Adventure-Water-Treatment-Plant-Replacement_stcVVproductId181911450VVviewprod.htm

Six Flags Great Adventure Water Treatment Plant Replacement

Valuation: $10,440,294 Owner Type: Public Bid Ends: Jan 17, 2018
Location: NJ (Ocean)   Report #: 201700829868 v. 11  

Description: The proposed work consists of but is not limited to: Construction of a new Water Treatment Plant to be located adjacent to Six Flags Great Adventure SFGA located off of Perrineville Road. The Water Tr>>
The proposed work consists of but is not limited to: Construction of a new Water Treatment Plant to be located adjacent to Six Flags Great Adventure SFGA located off of Perrineville Road. The Water Treatment Plant WTP shall include an approximately 7,500 square foot WTP building with internal chemical storage tanks inclusive of sodium hydroxide caustic soda tank. The WTP will also include backwash tanks and sludge storage tanks to be located exterior to the building. Other scope items include the demolition of the existing SFGA WTP and the re-establishment of the production Well No. 7 within, installation of above-grade piping and a well building for Well No. 17, the upgrade of well pumps and motors for the wells that will feed the new WTP and fill the storage tank, and a new finished water main that will feed both the SFGA area and the Route 537 corridor. Contractor is herein notified that the Contract Documents include a new water storage tank to be constructed adjacent to the proposed water treatment plant. The scope of work associated with this water storage tank is not included in this contract. Contractor is referred to Drawing NIC-1 for the extent of work not included as part of this contract. The proposed work is located: Adjacent to the SFGA Safari in Jackson Township, NJ. The proposed work will occur on Block 3101, Lots 28.01, 28, 46, 32.01 and 31

 

http://www.jacksontwpnj.net/documents/agendas/planning/2018/02-05-18.pdf

H. Engineering/Planning Matter Time Extension for Courtesy Review JTMUA - Block 3101; Lots: 11, 28, 31 & 32 – Existing Wells & Proposed Water Treatment Plant at Six Flags Great Adventure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Six Flags FUN! said:

Since SFMM started 365 days running, I wonder our park, SFGadv will be next to open the park for 365 days like a year round park in next year?

Nope, they just said on the earnings call that they will look at other warm weather parks next if Magic Mountain is successful.  Great Adventure is not a warm weather park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NJ is just not warm enough to sustain year round operations, as showed by GADV closing early for the year due to a very unusually cold early winter. Don't let are recent warm spell fool you, we can stil get nasty cold for awhile yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though year round operations won't happen, I would like to see opening day sometimes towards the end of March each year rather than just if Easter happens to be early for that particular year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Medusa42 said:

Nope, they just said on the earnings call that they will look at other warm weather parks next if Magic Mountain is successful.  Great Adventure is not a warm weather park.

 

Well, if climate change keeps up ...

 

I can see the Texas parks going year-round and maybe Georgia.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 7:24 PM, Yoshi said:

Even though year round operations won't happen, I would like to see opening day sometimes towards the end of March each year rather than just if Easter happens to be early for that particular year.

Agreed. They showed this past year that they're willing to open up in very cold temps. Beginning the season in mid-March each year doesn't seem to be out of the realm of possibility any more.

Edited by gencx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...