Up_Up_and_Away

Misc GA Mumblings

I was a happy lad when I was on Batman today as most of the OG sound effects were working, obviously not Alfred or the cop car but a lot of the sound effects like the dripping water, motor, theme, and more were back on for the first time in a while. Last time I was in the park was only a couple weeks ago and only some of the effects were on.

• Like 1

September 30th and October 9th had their operating hours changed from a 10 pm closing to an 8 pm closing with no Fright Fest those days. I thought it was strange those days originally had 10 pm closings when in past years the weekdays in September and October (except Columbus Day) were 8 pm closings.

I hope the park gets improving next year like repainting some coasters such as Batman and Nitro, new pathways, and more.

Edited by Six Flags FUN!

On 9/3/2019 at 11:59 PM, ZachMan said:

I was a happy lad when I was on Batman today as most of the OG sound effects were working, obviously not Alfred or the cop car but a lot of the sound effects like the dripping water, motor, theme, and more were back on for the first time in a while. Last time I was in the park was only a couple weeks ago and only some of the effects were on.

That's awesome. I wonder how those effects are preserved now that we're like 25+ years into the ride's life. Anyone know? Highly doubt they're digitized in any manner we'd consider sophisticated today.

12 minutes ago, EasternThrills said:

I don’t know if anyone has brought this up yet but Batman: The Ride’s sign has been repainted and it looks awesome! 

B5F6541B-007F-4A23-A57F-CD92308685FE.jpeg

I think they’re going to give it a fresh coat of paint for next season too which is awesome. I hope they give it a blue coat of paint so that we won’t have two yellow coasters sitting next to one another anymore.

3 minutes ago, Tower said:

I think they’re going to give it a fresh coat of paint for next season too which is awesome. I hope they give it a blue coat of paint so that we won’t have two yellow coasters sitting next to one another anymore.

Six Flags doesn't have a choice in selecting paint colors for DC Comics themed rides.  DC Comics says Batman is yellow and black now.

Does anyone have photos from inside the Pinball Parlor back in the day? I love pinball and I would love to see what they had available to play. :Wizard:

Edited by laurenalexis

17 minutes ago, Medusa42 said:

Six Flags doesn't have a choice in selecting paint colors for DC Comics themed rides.  DC Comics says Batman is yellow and black now.

So that was the case back when our Batman was painted yellow, and then they changed it to blue and black when MM and OG repainted their Batman rides, and then they changed it back again afterwards? Was this due to The Dark Knight movie?

The Batman logo isn't the only thing with some fresh paint on it. The bathroom next to Studio 28 Arcade has been painted (now blue & grey), and Nitro's exit ramps are about 50% of the way repainted.

16 hours ago, Tower said:

Will Batman will get repaint this year or next year, also Superman has old sign entrance, it needs update along with station's old Superman logos. Also Superman logo on pathway needs repainted too.

10 hours ago, Matt Kaiser said:

Wow, those were just repainted a few short years ago!

That's what I was thinking at first, too, but when you see the new vs. old side-by-side, it became pretty clear it needed it again. Still, happy to see the touch-ups throughout the park, very curious to know if there are other ones out there that I missed last weekend!

I came across a Facebook post today that reminded me: yesterday marks 6 years since the closing of Rolling Thunder. I still miss it, my first coaster both in general and at GA! 🌩🎢

• Like 1

I miss Rolling Thunder as well. It may have been my first coaster at Great Adventure (I'm not sure if it was Rolling Thunder or RMT). The final year it was open the left side was running smoother than it had been in years. I also liked that the layouts of both tracks were slightly different.

Does anyone know what this object is in the boneyard? I've been looking at Flyin Phil's photos + Google Maps trying to figure out what is, but I'm not certain. I was thinking maybe the mini swings but I feel it's a little too bare bones for that. Thanks!

cd35d390702a02781bf74a3c70c290ce.png 

Credit to Flyin Phil for this screenshot. 

Link to original photo on his website here!

6 minutes ago, laurenalexis said:

Does anyone know what this object is in the boneyard? I've been looking at Flyin Phil's photos + Google Maps trying to figure out what is, but I'm not certain. I was thinking maybe the mini swings but I feel it's a little too bare bones for that. Thanks!

cd35d390702a02781bf74a3c70c290ce.png 

Credit to Flyin Phil for this screenshot. 

Link to original photo on his website here!

That is the Mini Swings (Monkey Around).  

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/MiniSwings.htm

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

That is the Kiddie Swings (Monkey Around).  

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/MiniSwings.htm

Thanks, @29yrswithaGApass! What a shame to see them just sitting there. I hope they make it back into the park sometime. Is there a thread on here that goes over these pictures and identifies what everything is in the boneyard? (Edit: I found it!) Looking at it is really intriguing. 

Edited by laurenalexis

That's funny I remember riding the mini swings in 2008 when I was 8 years old with my little sister. Good times. I'm pretty sure I was too big for them back then and remember my feet scraping along the ground the whole ride.

Will there will be more park improving this year and next year. I can see Batman is getting repainting this year or next year. Superman needs more upgrade to station and queue. Big Wheel needs new LED lights.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:09 PM, EasternThrills said:

I don’t know if anyone has brought this up yet but Batman: The Ride’s sign has been repainted and it looks awesome! 

B5F6541B-007F-4A23-A57F-CD92308685FE.jpeg

THAT LOOKS AMAZING

On 9/9/2019 at 4:05 PM, Tbone112499 said:

I came across a Facebook post today that reminded me: yesterday marks 6 years since the closing of Rolling Thunder. I still miss it, my first coaster both in general and at GA! 🌩🎢

I really miss Rolling Thunder as well. It left a gap in the park's lineup that still hasn't been filled. It's also hard to find coasters that still run with PTC buzz bars as a large amount of parks have been removing them from their old wood coasters. Although it may have been rough, Rolling Thunder was always a lot of fun, and generated a lot of hilarious ride experience stories.