Up_Up_and_Away

Misc GA Mumblings

Animal activists decry goose death at Great Adventure

Animal activists cried foul over a move by ride operators at Six Flags Great Adventure that killed a goose Sunday.A Canada goose landed on a conveyer belt that moves rafts for the theme park's Congo Rapids. A ride operator tried to coerce the goose to fly away, but it would not move, said Nicole Cora of Southington, Conn., who witnessed the ordeal.

A staff member then decided to continue operating the ride, and the conveyer belt trapped and killed the goose as witnesses, including children, looked on, Cora said.

Rachel Ogden of GooseWatch NJ, which is devoted to the humane treatment of geese, said members of the group were "disturbed and saddened" by the event.

"Six Flags needs to develop procedures that respect the lives of animals caught in its rides, while taking into account the safety of its adult and child guests," she said in a statement. "We will be filing a request with the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) for an investigation into this incident."

The Department of Agriculture oversees conservation efforts of many migratory bird species.

Six Flags spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher defended the decision of ride operators, and said stopping Congo Rapids would have put passengers in danger. In an emergency stop, rafts loaded with passengers would be flushed into the ride's reservoir, and guests would have to be evacuated by rope, she said.

Susan Addelston of the Jackson Animal Welfare Committee said the decision to run the ride put profits at risk, not theme park patrons.

"Seems that if the park operators were truly concerned about conservation they would have hit the control to release all of the boats, then tried to free the goose that was caught," she said.

But Siebeneicher said efforts were made to aid the fowl.

"While ensuring our guests' safety, we made every effort to save the geese, which numbered between 20 and 30 in and around the ride," said Siebeneicher. "All but one were safely relocated to the Prospertown Lake area."

Though geese have posed little problem in the past, the birds have come onto the theme park's property since August, 2011, Siebeneicher said. That month, Hurricane Irene caused a break in a spillway that emptied Prospertown Lake. The geese have since searched Six Flags grounds for other water sources, the spokeswoman said.

"We determined that the situation was handled properly, although it is very unfortunate that a goose was lost," Siebeneicher said.

Animal rights activists said more could have been done to save the animal.

"This was a tragic incident and it could have been avoided if human goose control measures, which are clearly needed here, were implemented," said Kristin Simon, a senior cruelty caseworker for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, which is based in Norfolk, Va.

Simon said the park could employ goose scare tactics, such as motion sensors, scare crows or Mylar streamers to frighten away geese. Placing dense vegetation around water sources also makes it difficult for geese to land and nest, she said.

Matt Stanton, spokesman of the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said no one had filed a complaint or called the NJSPCA hotline either Sunday or Monday about the incident. The NJSPCA investigates many cases of animal abuse reported in the state.

"As far as I know, we've never even been to Great Adventure," said Stanton, who added he has worked for NJSPCA for at least eight. "They run a safari. They tend to take care of their animals."

Courier Post

• <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Edited by RideOfSteel

I like Animals as much as the next guy, but it's a Goose.... It's the birds fault for going near moving machinery.Ride OP's did the right thing. Rider safety > Bird dying

I was working that day. I heard about the incident, and right away I knew the goose was doomed. Its Congo Rapids. Trust me, if you stop the ride, a whole lot of other problems occur. Believe me.

I was working that day. I heard about the incident, and right away I knew the goose was doomed. Its Congo Rapids. Trust me, if you stop the ride, a whole lot of other problems occur. Believe me.

I've seen it happen,E-Stops aren't pretty or fun for anyone to deal with..If they did stop the ride they would have gotten crap from people for putting them in danger to save a Goose...That lady is clearly just looking for attention.

peta people are pretty much all wack-jobs anyways, they always try to create a drama keep scene so people will shut them up by donating money, and heres a perfect situation to do that, big corp vs. animals, operator was right kill the goose and run the ride

Maybe this is a stupid question but can't they just *Stop* the ride and not *E-stop* it? That is, just turn off the conveyor belt until they can safely get the goose off, and then restart it. It seems like the only issue that would create is a small backup of boats at the foot of the belt.

I've seen it happen,E-Stops aren't pretty or fun for anyone to deal with..If they did stop the ride they would have gotten crap from people for putting them in danger to save a Goose...That lady is clearly just looking for attention.

peta people are pretty much all wack-jobs anyways, they always try to create a drama keep scene so people will shut them up by donating money, and heres a perfect situation to do that, big corp vs. animals, operator was right kill the goose and run the ride

I totally agree that these activists are just looking to ruin the corporation's outlook. Its not like they wanted to kill the goose on purpose. Its like when you hit a deer when it runs across a road. You don't mean to do it.

Maybe this is a stupid question but can't they just *Stop* the ride and not *E-stop* it? That is, just turn off the conveyor belt until they can safely get the goose off, and then restart it. It seems like the only issue that would create is a small backup of boats at the foot of the belt.

I believe they can? Don't take my word for it. However, if they did do that, the boats would have drown the goose anyway.

I totally agree that these activists are just looking to ruin the corporation's outlook. Its not like they wanted to kill the goose on purpose. Its like when you hit a deer when it runs across a road. You don't mean to do it.

I believe they can? Don't take my word for it. However, if they did do that, the boats would have drown the goose anyway.

Honestly, my concern lies with the "Evac" system in general. When Ms. Siebeneicher specifies a "rope" to safely remove passengers, what exactly does this entail? I am curious to the actual procedure.

Honestly, my concern lies with the "Evac" system in general. When Ms. Siebeneicher specifies a "rope" to safely remove passengers, what exactly does this entail? I am curious to the actual procedure.

I believe when the boats/rafts go into the reservoir, they use the rope to throw to the boats and pull them to the edge and they have to climb out that way.

Found some pictures from TPR of mechanics and Sups throwing the rope.

July12123.jpg

July12124.jpg

July12125.jpg

Edited by Mike13

so if the estop is hit on congo and you just started the ride do you still float all the way around to the res? or does the river empty?

From the Huffington Post:

Boy Hit In Face By Bird While Riding Kingda Ka Roller Coaster At New Jersey Six Flags

AP | Posted: 07/27/2012 10:27 am Updated: 07/28/2012 8:50 am

s-KINGDA-KA-BIRD-large.jpg

The Kingda Ka roller coaster reaches speeds up to 128 mph. It was shut down for 30 minutes after a boy on the ride was hit in the face by a bird.

JACKSON, N.J. (AP) -- A boy is recovering after he was hit in the face by a bird while riding a roller coaster at an amusement park in New Jersey.

The collision occurred as the Kingda Ka coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson was returning to the station Thursday.

Park spokeswoman Kristen Siebeneicher tells the Asbury Park Press the boy was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries to his face and neck.

The 45-story Kingda Ka coaster, which reaches speeds up to 128 mph, was shut down for 30 minutes.

Edited by Up_Up_and_Away
Proper formatting of source material

Last couple of times I have been to the park I noticed they didn't turn on alot of the streetlamps. Not the safest way to save money.

I kinda would like to see SFGA get something like they did in 1999, they got 27 new rides! I think that would be great and we could get all the old attractions that we never should have gotten rid of like: Pendulum, Chaos, Condor, Enterprise, etc.

They never should have gotten rid of most of the rides that they removed. I dont think another War On Lines would work out now because it did not work out too well back then. Some of the rides added that year were not open full time and most of the new rides are no longer in the park. I think they need to carefully plan out their new rides like they did this year. They should not get a whole bunch of new rides and not know what to do with them.

I think a 10 flat ride package would ice the cake, similar to SFOT 2005 addition, exept more rides our park needs like a new himilaya, tilt a whirl, swings, enterprise, a looping flat...etc

I don't think we'll ever see that again. It's just not feasible to add so many rides at once because the budget for labor to run the rides as well as to maintain the rides has to be increased so much all at once. Those are not just one time costs (like investing millions into a new coaster) but continual costs. Until attendance increases, the ride counts will only increase slowly.

Those were the kind of mistakes Premier made with Six Flags that piled up more than $2 BILLION in debt.

That's true, if we never got those 27 rides at once we would probably still have el sembrero, and many classic rides running.

I was considering going to the park on Labor Day. Is that a day the park is usually jammed packed? I never been there during any holidays for that reason but with school starting I thought it might not be. But then again the last minute vacation people could affect it.

I went on Labor Day in 2009, it was more crowded than I was expecting. I only got 6 rides in 3 1/2 hours.