Thrill-Pics

Miscellaneous Mumblings

^ A few years ago it would have been easier to answer this question because I had fewer items which were mostly kept in a four drawer filing cabinet (all the paper items such as maps, press kits, pamphlets, etc) and a display case for memorabilia (below is a pic from 2012).

gallery_2_35_608445.jpg

I am happy to say that my collection has grown exponentially since starting this site and now almost everything (except which can still fit in the display case) is kept in various storage boxes and two additional four drawer filing cabinets. A lot of the smaller items I have are kept in photo boxes (one for pins, one for buttons, one for patches, etc) and I also use those to store my pamphlets. I also have a ton of photo boxes that I use for actual photo storage from my pre-digital days at the park. Michaels had a sale on them for 99 cents and I ended up buying 50 of them. In addition, I purchased item specific boxes for storing items like VHS videos, audio tapes, cds, pennants, etc at Bags Unlimited. They have a huge selection of storage options. Lastly, I have several dozen extra wide 3-ring binders with various plastic storage pages for holding slides, show schedules, postcards, etc. which I keep in two side by side floor to ceiling bookcases.

Surprisingly, everything is really organized and between all the physical items and five 2TB hard drives for all the digital scans of everything I pretty much have everything at my fingertips... except for the item I am looking for! :)

Thanks Harry! When I starting thinking about where to put all my stuff, I had imagined your house must be covered in Great Adventure trinkets. Haha

Last night was my daughters 3rd prom... This time is was with her new (and 1st) boyfriend's Senior Prom. 2 Jr. Proms and 1 Senior Prom this year...

Hopefully next year will just be 1.

Don't think "Cannibal" has a thread anywhere, and there is not a "miscellaneous industry mumblings" so posting here. I can hardly find any current info on "Cannibal" anywhere. The opening date has been pushed back to an un-specified date now, and even though the park finally opened for the season, there is still hardly any pics out there of it. I am really curious to see the indoor part's of it, and just the fact that was made and designed all "in-house" is awesome. Wish more Park's had the creativity and the $$$ to do projects like this.

^They had some train-related issues so it will be delayed. That ride looks absolutely insane

I spent an amazing day at Dorney Park yesterday, and it showed how much Great Adventure needs to improve on.

-The rides were operated so much better at Dorney.

-There were so many more food options at Dorney, and they were so much better priced.

-Every ride ran from opening to close without any issues.

-There were tons of family rides including two train rides.

I may switch from a Six Flags season pass to a Dorney pass next year.

• Like 2

What exactly do you mean by this?

Well from my experience going to Dorney, they staff the rides better. And they don't waste 10sec giving visual scans.

Edited by DANofNJ

^^ The dispatches were great for all the coasters. No stacking for anything. Even Hydra, which is a really short ride, and takes a while to park the train between cycles was not stacking. Plus, you could leave your bags in the bins that the employees closed during the cycle. The attendants were also working together, if one finished their half of the train they checked the other attendants side, to quicken dispatches. In the morning, Thunderhawk had only one person checking restraints and he still cycled the train faster than the Rolling Thunder crew ever did.

Dorney is an underrated park. Very pleasant with solid coasters and nice flat rides. I would never get a SP because I have usually marathoned every major ride in the dry park by 1pm during my visits. 1-2 trips a year is more than enough for me until they get a major new attraction.

So, I will be heading to SFNE next month for WC. I went there 11 years ago, but don't remember the drive too much, and I wasn't driving back then, either. For those who have gone in the last couple of years, what would be the best route of travel? Google brings up a few different routes. I will be coming from Monmouth County and leaving around 6am to get there for opening.

Thanks in advance!

I spent an amazing day at Dorney Park yesterday, and it showed how much Great Adventure needs to improve on.

-The rides were operated so much better at Dorney.

-There were so many more food options at Dorney, and they were so much better priced.

-Every ride ran from opening to close without any issues.

-There were tons of family rides including two train rides.

I may switch from a Six Flags season pass to a Dorney pass next year.

I have season passes for both. I agree about Dorney running stuff better than GADV. Dorney also has better lighting and better Waterpark operations. It's sad that GADV had been improving until this year where they took a big downward slide.

^^ The dispatches were great for all the coasters. No stacking for anything. Even Hydra, which is a really short ride, and takes a while to park the train between cycles was not stacking. Plus, you could leave your bags in the bins that the employees closed during the cycle. The attendants were also working together, if one finished their half of the train they checked the other attendants side, to quicken dispatches. In the morning, Thunderhawk had only one person checking restraints and he still cycled the train faster than the Rolling Thunder crew ever did.

I always feel bad for the Great Adventure employees because of how hard they have to work, and how extremely strict the safety guidelines are. Things you wouldn't even think of are against the rules at Great Adventure. A lot of the strict enforcement comes from NJ and the fact that Six Flags always gets so much negativity about safety when something bad happens. As one example, the attendants at Great Adventure must check each row together. If one attendant slows down to buckle a seatbelt, the other must wait for them. Employees also can't cross the train without getting permission from the operator. Because of this, they can't help each other out like you saw at Dorney. The rules/regulations/procedures at always working against them at Great Adventure.

I've been to other parks with groups of ride operators from Great Adventure. All day long, they point out every safety violation they see. Essentially, every employee at the park we visited would be fired if they worked at Great Adventure.

So, I will be heading to SFNE next month for WC. I went there 11 years ago, but don't remember the drive too much, and I wasn't driving back then, either. For those who have gone in the last couple of years, what would be the best route of travel? Google brings up a few different routes. I will be coming from Monmouth County and leaving around 6am to get there for opening.

I just always follow Google Maps everywhere. It always gives you the quickest route, based on real time traffic, so I don't bother even looking at what roads I'll be taking.

Different states have different safety regulations. Over here in PA, the parks must follow ride manufacturers' recommendations for how to operate their rides under state law. So if one manufacturer recommends not operating a ride in high winds, then under PA state law a PA park can't operate that ride under those conditions. A famous example is when a ferries wheel manufacturer made a new recommendation to not allow single riders, and so Hershey and Dorney stopped allowing Single riders on their ferries wheels a couple of years before the Moreys, accident. As far as I know, NJ, doesn't have such a law and NJ parks are not bound to obey recommendations like PA parks. That is why after the freak October snowstorm a few years back, GADV could operate their coasters in the cold temps while Hershey could not. So on that day GADV would have been fined for safety violations under PA law.

Then there is the dangerously poor lighting in some parts of GADV. KK's, queue and exit steps are pitch black at night. KK's, exit steps are a hazard at night. Dorney also has more effective security, I feel sorry for the GADV guards be forced to dress like crossing guards and carrying pickers opposed to Dorney guards who get state trooper training and are equipped with security tools and weapons.

Edited by The Master

Dorney is an underrated park. Very pleasant with solid coasters and nice flat rides. I would never get a SP because I have usually marathoned every major ride in the dry park by 1pm during my visits. 1-2 trips a year is more than enough for me until they get a major new attraction.

Thanks in advance!

I would take NJ Turnpike north to the GW Bridge, across the cross-Bronx expressway east to the Hutchinson River Parkway north. The Hutch north becomes I-684 North, which turns into I-84 once you enter Connecticut. From I-84, you'd switch to I-91 North around Hartford. I-91 takes you up into Massachusetts, and the park.

I would take NJ Turnpike north to the GW Bridge, across the cross-Bronx expressway east to the Hutchinson River Parkway north. The Hutch north becomes I-684 North, which turns into I-84 once you enter Connecticut. From I-84, you'd switch to I-91 North around Hartford. I-91 takes you up into Massachusetts, and the park.

Thanks for the advice!

I can't wait for this little road trip. Back in the mid '00's I was planning major coaster trips every year, but haven't done anything like it in 7 years. As an enthusiast it is always an awesome experience pulling up to a brand new park (or, in this case, pulling up to a park I haven't been to in 11 years).

I always feel bad for the Great Adventure employees because of how hard they have to work, and how extremely strict the safety guidelines are. Things you wouldn't even think of are against the rules at Great Adventure. A lot of the strict enforcement comes from NJ and the fact that Six Flags always gets so much negativity about safety when something bad happens. As one example, the attendants at Great Adventure must check each row together. If one attendant slows down to buckle a seatbelt, the other must wait for them. Employees also can't cross the train without getting permission from the operator. Because of this, they can't help each other out like you saw at Dorney. The rules/regulations/procedures at always working against them at Great Adventure.

I've been to other parks with groups of ride operators from Great Adventure. All day long, they point out every safety violation they see. Essentially, every employee at the park we visited would be fired if they worked at Great Adventure.

I just always follow Google Maps everywhere. It always gives you the quickest route, based on real time traffic, so I don't bother even looking at what roads I'll be taking.

I dodnt think its coming fom NJ, because wildwood doesn't do all the dumb things that slow up park operations. Its sad that SFGadv wont staff rides to get the proper capacity. How many times can 2 attendants at el toro, the parks best coaster, in the dead heat check that whole train in a timely fashion. then deal with all the fat lazy people who refuse to try the test seat out front. Like NJ is the only state for safe rides. please. Other states parks are just as safe without all the BS

Edited by DANofNJ

The other night I was working on my physics project (My school usually goes to GA for physics day but we went to Hersheypark this year for some reason). We had to work through many problems. However my teacher never gave us back the equations we need. I went searching online for them, and I found a Six Flags Great Adventure physics day workbook from 2013 with all the physics equations. It even had Rolling Thunder in it. Here's the link:

https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/files/SFGA%20Physics%20Workbook%202013%20Edition.pdf

The other night I was working on my physics project (My school usually goes to GA for physics day but we went to Hersheypark this year for some reason). We had to work through many problems. However my teacher never gave us back the equations we need. I went searching online for them, and I found a Six Flags Great Adventure physics day workbook from 2013 with all the physics equations. It even had Rolling Thunder in it. Here's the link:

https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/files/SFGA%20Physics%20Workbook%202013%20Edition.pdf

Thanks for sharing the link! I'm a sucker for stuff like this. It's always nice to be able to apply the knowledge you've gained in classes to something you love.

Going to visit my dad in Virginia in 2 weeks with the family. Even though he has a pontoon boat on the lake and we go fishing, tubing or even just relaxing on it everyday, we still might even do a day trip or an overnight trip to either Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion (both 2 hours away) or even Carowinds.

Never been to Carowinds, been to Kings Dominion a few years ago and Bush Gardens about 4 years ago.

Leaning towards BGW because we have not rode Verbolten yet or Tempesto and with the 4D attractions and shows they have my wife would like it a lot better. Plus we love the food there and if we stay over night, we would go to Water Country the next day.

Then maybe next year we would get the Cedar Fair Max pass and hit both KD and Carowinds, and then also CP.

Cannot stop by SFA on the way home this time because we have the dog with us.

Just bought tickets to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Halloween Night!!! Not a huge fan of the event (compared to some of the other Halloween events around here) but two of my nieces will be visiting and it's been a few years since I've been, so I'm really looking forward to it.